kahir88

Challenge III: Category B: To protect our own

For the people of Deep Garden, the constant fear from danger isn't unknown. Between their runaway landlord and Conrad's arrival, the region was infested with bandits and renegades. They already knew, how to defend their homes, farms, and gardens. But thanks to their new protector, they could rest easier now. But this is no longer an option. Conrad is planning something, and he split his army into smaller groups. Some soldiers still patrol the roads, but there are rumors about new threats. And the locals no longer feel the safety. The town leaders are tired to talk to Conrad about how they feel right now, but the mercenary leader always looks too busy.

The towns decided it is time to take up again their tools and defend their self once again. They tired their best, but the region only has forests and orchards. There aren't any quarry, and most of the residents don't know the stonecutting trade. The only way to make new fortifications are to sacrifice many of their local trees. It was a hard decision for them, but everyone came in the same conclusion: dead man can't harvest the corps.

47953271331_97a99d32d8.jpg

47953269146_be792a0563.jpg

47953228077_8b35e02055.jpg

Axes, shovels, and pickaxes are gathered from the towns, and the works started. Digging trenches, cutting down trees, raising planks, road blockades are made. This is the only way a poor man can defend themselves.

47953264541_529a4babb7.jpg

47953225062_41fac35c95.jpg

47953241198_a307d6b9b3.jpg

The trenches are filled with traps and sharp wooden spikes.

47953242168_531722d05a.jpg

47953263566_fd5cfc0c71.jpg

Even simple watchtowers are raised, to overseer the surronding area.

47953245033_6c7d0dc6a8.jpg

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It was hard, to find anything to fortify in a region there aren't any bigger town. I pictured this region, like in the Witcher 3 Velen, small farms not too far away from each other. The farms are a collection of 2-3 families, who tends the land. There are some bigger villages, they serve like junctions. They fortified them mostly, so the local farms can take shelter there... whatever danger they have to face it. They are simple people, so they had to use simple methods, to protect them self.

Edited by kahir88

Nice job!  I really like the fact that you've made the build tied into your story.  Castle walls are awesome, but communities like yours and mine that are just being built up, there really aren't any old, cool-looking stone walls yet.  Deep Garden even more so because of the heavy farming area.  You did something that I don't see a lot of, that is namely a palisade wall.  (I'm working on one for the challenge, too, though I don't know if I'll finish it in time!)  The ditch, along with the spikes look really good--accurate to some Roman-style fortifications I've seen before.  The metal spike through the cones is genius!  I've never seen that before and can't believe I hadn't thought of it.  It really makes the spikes look finished, as the bare cones don't so much (I don't know if I have enough spikes to do a wall with them, but now I'll have to look!).  The tree really looks sharp, some sort of hardwood that's not terribly old, but has been around for a while.  I like the tower, too--it looks like something peasants would throw together with the materials on hand and best knowledge that they have, and not something engineered by a master tactician, adding to the flavor of the scene.  The only two suggestions I might have would be: 1. Perhaps remove some of the taller vegetation on the roadside (such as the bamboo), as I've rarely seen a busy construction site that doesn't have all the foliage near it trampled down and 2. cut back on the number of things going on on the scene.  It does add a sense of 'busy' to the scene that helps the story, but I've found (through experience in trying to fit too much in) that less can be more on these scenes, because there's so much going on it can clutter the scene.  I'm not sure you've reached that point here, but focusing on just a couple workers, or gathering more workers in a single area might help.  I love the two guys hauling the log and the  inclusion of some of the more anachronistic pieces (the miner's helmet and the 'keep out' sign) are hilarious!  Great job, and I hope to keep reading about Deep Garden!

Really good story. You can feel the desperation of the inhabitants and how they have to work with what they got. 

The build is full of details to look at. I like the minifigs and that every one is busy working. The farmer behind the palisades with the pitchfork is great, he really keeps a good mood even if don't have a sword and a shield.

And I was thinking of this scene also when I was starting to build. Even if you got a big keep or a town , the farmers and villagers outside the walls have to be protected also.  

Edited by Zilmrud

Hey, great work!

It’s good to see that people also care about the safety of the small folk. Farmers and builders also need protection and fortifications. And you capture the feeling of necessity and ‘working with what you have’ perfectly. I like the fact that it looks like a process I which everyone is working: there are the large chunks of timber, cut into small bits, and then used as fortification.

Awesome job! I’d love to see this village expanded in the future. 

Keep it up! Cheers.

Deep ditches are a common defensive practice we don't see much in LEGO - well done including those!
The makeshift wooden wall and tower fit well as quickly built fortifications for small towns :thumbup:

Really nice, Kahir! I think the means depicted to deal with the possible danger are very appropriated - as you said, simple people, simple methods. I do love all of the activity. Also, good to read some details about the territorial organisation of Deep Garden! :thumbup: