For context:

Related image

PgsJzzW.jpg

Not the greatest color or piece transition in general, but I make do with what I have. This was originally going to be solely an LDD entry, but I went and reread the rules and, well, I guess that made for one hell of a week next to APs and finals.

Though speaking of LDD, I do have the file right...

unknown.png?width=625&height=469

...here. Ignore the black line, link right over here.

And Imgur link, ofc, with shots of a lot of internal buildwork and the factory (there's a factory?) below. I might add comments there later.

Edit: Just to note, the ldd link is to dropbox. I don't know if it works properly, but it hopefully should.

Edited by Pirean_Grammaticul

And just to note, this is indeed based upon the fight scene in Tournament's (season 4's) second episode. Changes made to Jay's room were for... obvious reasons.

And yes, the sai are supposed to be jade blades.

I have a bias to location based sets, so this sparks joy! :grin: Excellent job on the LDD entry! The shaping, angles, composition, colours and details are all good! Immediately screams ToE to me. :thumbup: It seems like you can even link multiple copies up to create more of a circle?

Shame that things went as they went. Truth to be told, the physical model looks not as good, by a long shot. As far as I can tell, the digital build is almost entirely comprised of pieces in existing colours (except for some gold parts), so maybe some day? :shrug_oh_well:

First of all, thank you! As a "longtime" fan of your work (think it was the samurai Samukai first, so evidently not that long), I really appreciate the compliment overall.

Thanks for mentioning it was immediately recognizable from the render and largely from the colors, which I will admit weren't all too vexing to get down quickly (beyond the exorbitant use of sand yellow). And yeah, the physical model isn't great colorwise, but as long as it achieved its purpose as a proof of viability (and the contest entry as a whole), I think I'm fine.

The model does connect with itself, but my guess is it wouldn't really create a circle without sacrificing the cohesion of the groundwork as a whole. Because it's given an acute angle, and because I ultimately nixed the plan for all three planes to be the same size, my guess is that you could probably get away with connecting two without making it look excessively.

And speaking of which, I may have overstepped the price range I was going for. At roughly 664 pieces (with hypothetical minifigs), it's well over the bounds of a $40 or $50 set and can't justify itself with such an excess through size like the Water Strider or a couple other Ninjago Movie sets can; and, from the "comparison" shot to Master Falls, there really isn't much it does justify with such a small overall size. I supposed that this contest relies on far less than creating a "set" as much as a concept model, but I do believe that if I'd constrained the project just a little more, it would end up a little more realistically designed for mass consumption.

Though I doubt making these for mass-market is the primary concern for this competition. Considering the sheer talent of one of these, like Bricknave's serpentine trap model, I'm just hoping for third place at best, if not a participation badge (that's what the little symbols under your avatars are, right?). I enjoyed building the thing and genuinely getting involved in a competition rather than missing the deadline, but my guess is that I've ended up somewhere in the middle rankings with the entry.

All that aside, good luck with your entry! If those RPG models and "tablescraps" say anything about your talent, no doubt it'll be solid.

(Also, you went through the imgur album, right? For anyone parsing through this thread, the images there do expand on the model's functionality and function as a "playset," giving some insight into it if the LDD file didn't already)

On 5/29/2019 at 4:24 PM, Pirean_Grammaticul said:

First of all, thank you! As a "longtime" fan of your work (think it was the samurai Samukai first, so evidently not that long), I really appreciate the compliment overall.

And speaking of which, I may have overstepped the price range I was going for. 

I'm just hoping for third place at best, if not a participation badge (that's what the little symbols under your avatars are, right?). 

All that aside, good luck with your entry! If those RPG models and "tablescraps" say anything about your talent, no doubt it'll be solid.

(Also, you went through the imgur album, right? For anyone parsing through this thread, the images there do expand on the model's functionality and function as a "playset," giving some insight into it if the LDD file didn't already)

That is such a nice thing to say (and I haven't heard it often!), thanks! :blush:

Well, there is a lot of depth that is not obvious from the front. I think it's a also just a matter of advertising. I could see a $59.99 price tag work, especially if it has that good selection of figures.

Not everyone that participates gets a badge, no. They are awarded as a prize, otherwise it would be a little too easy to get them. :wink:

Keep an eye out, I've just finished photographing. Editing will take some time, though... But I'll give you something to chew on: it's a playset involving moer then two factions. :purrr:

I didn't check the file and album the first time, but now that I've seen it, I'm more amazed at the overall  model and the features! Also, it's a wonderful experience to have someone else's build in LDD. Sweet! :thumbup: