Jim

[TC16] Technic Mission to Mars Contest - Information Topic

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/47935657007_06511b6b4d_b.jpg

TECHNIC MISSION TO MARS CONTEST - INFORMATION TOPIC
Mankind is on the verge of colonizing Mars. We are going to make this happen and EurobrX needs you!

"When something is important enough, you do it even if the odds are not in your favor."

DESCRIPTION
Help EurobrX colonize Mars by building something that will help the Mission to Mars. You can build a vehicle, building, spaceship, satellite, rocket, robot, basically anything that can be related to the mission. You can do a combined build, for example base and rover, or rocket and launch tower. You are allowed, and are encourage, to come up with new concepts. You don't need to replicate real life vehicles or spaceships. You can check out the new City Space sets or the Mars Mission theme for inspiration, with the note that EurobrX is not expecting any hostile alien activity, so keep it scientific instead of military.

DEADLINE
Deadline date is Monday the 5th of August 2019. Contest will be closed on Tuesday the 6th of August, OR LATER.

Disclaimer: I will close the contest when I see fit and when I have the time to process the results. This can be later than the deadline date. Please don't complain about this not being fair and all.

RULES AND REGULATIONS
The following section describes the contest specific and general rules and regulations. But before that, please take notice of a simple motto regarding the Eurobricks Contests:

CONTESTS ARE FOR FUN!

Of course there's competition, but at the end of the day, LEGO is just a hobby and the main goal for each of us is to have fun!

CONTEST SPECIFIC RULES AND REGULATIONS

• Each entry needs to have a name (no name, no entry).
  • Model Team style building is not permitted. You can use system parts, but keep it mainly Technic.
  • Mindstorms and LEGO Electronics are permitted.
  • SBrick, Buwizz and PFxBrick are permitted.
  • 3rd party Strings, Hoses and Rubber Bands are permitted.
  • 3rd party tires are not permitted.
  • Other 3rd party parts are not permitted.
  • There is no size limit. 

GENERAL RULES AND REGULATIONS

• The contest is open to all EB members (also new members).
  • Members can be banned from voting (when vote rigging is suspected).
  • Voting rules will be explained later in the voting topic.
  • One entry per member.
  • Entries need to be new (never posted anywhere previously or shown at an event/LUG meeting).
  • Only physical builds, so no LDD or other virtual entry.
  • If you have any doubts about the suitability of your entry contact me, or Milan.
  • All entries are to include only real LEGO. No clone brands, 3rd party parts, or digital entries allowed.
  • Custom stickers are allowed.
  • No cutting, sculpting or modifying parts.
  • Entries are to be placed in the entry topic in this forum.
  • Entries not in the entry topic are not eligible for voting.
  • The entry post may be edited at any time up to the end of the contest, so feel free to make improvements if you wish.
  • The contest might be closed later than the deadline. Don't complain about this not being fair.
  • You have enough time to build. Don't ask for more time.
  • We reserve the right to disqualify any entry that does not follow these rules.
  • These rules can be changed whenever we see fit to ensure that people follow the intent of the contest.
  • Jury members are not eligible to participate.

WHAT DO I NEED TO ENTER?
All participant need to create a discussion topic and create a post in the entry topic.

DISCUSSION TOPIC

• A discussion topic starting with [TC16].
  • A discussion topic needs to show some actual progress (i.e. pictures of the build in progress) and should NOT be used to "reserve an idea".

ENTRY POST
The entry post in the entry topic should contain:

• Entry name.
  • One or more pictures (max 3 of max 1024x1024).
  • Embedded video (mandatory).
  • Link to the discussion topic.

VOTING
Voting scheme will be public voting only, but only by members who have 50 posts or more. If you have less posts, you can vote, but your votes will be automatically excluded from the tally. 

Voting criteria are (in no particular order):

• Originality.
  • Looks (shape, color scheme etc).
  • Quality of the build.
  • Functionality.

PRIZES
Three prizes will be available (more information will follow, most likely some non-flagship Technic 2018/2019 sets). For the prizes we define two categories of contestants:

• Mortals (contestants who haven't won any medals in previous contests) and
  • Immortals (contestants who have won one or more medals in previous contests).

Top-3 winners will get medals as usual, regardless of the category.

1st PRIZE: WINNER OF THE CONTEST
The winner of the contest.

2nd PRIZE: RUNNER UP OR FIRST MORTAL
The second prize goes to:

• Highest ranked mortal, if the contest winner is an immortal (already has a medal)
  • The person who ended second (actual runner up), if the contest winner is a mortal (has no medal yet)

So, in theory both prizes can go to mortals, but I'm sure the immortals will do their best to prevent that :wink:

3rd PRIZE: RAFFLE PRIZE
The third prize will be raffled among contestants who have created a discussion topic (early on), are actively showing progress and providing value to the community. I will decide who are eligible and conduct the raffle. No discussion. 

Great contest idea! Am I allowed to use an EV3 rather that PF?

Never mind, just read the rules. Good luck everyone!

Edited by BrickbyBrickTechnic

Just now, BrickbyBrickTechnic said:

Great contest idea! Am I allowed to use an EV3 rather that PF?

Read the rules :wink:

This is definitely going to be a fun contest and with lots of talented members in this forum, we are going to see some very interesting models. 

I do not consider SBrick and Buwizz as Lego pieces so I will not use them if I take part in the contest.

43 minutes ago, Maaboo35 said:

In addition to @Jim's suggestions, I'd check these out as well:

Just now, jorgeopesi said:

I do not consider SBrick and Buwizz as Lego pieces so I will not use them if I take part in the contest.

Be purist my friend :wink:

Are we there again...:hmpf:

I do not considder IR remotes and IR receivers as a decent control system anno 2019 so I will use sbricks if I take part in this contest.

(Unless the upcomming PU system will magically arive on time:tongue:)

I love the contest theme so I just might join in the fun!

I'm thrilled to see wat everyone comes up with!

What a great topic to do a contest on... Is it okay to start the discussion topic just with initial sketches done on paper?

3 hours ago, ArsMan064 said:

Great theme of the contest! I want to try build something...

Go for it! Love to see your creation.

5 hours ago, Kio Liex said:

What a great topic to do a contest on... Is it okay to start the discussion topic just with initial sketches done on paper?

Usually not, but I'm cool with it this time. Interest to see the sketches.

11 hours ago, Leonardo da Bricki said:

This sounds like it might be a good one... I'll get the ol' gears spinning and see if I come up with something...

I'm sure you can :sweet: :thumbup:

12 hours ago, shadow_elenter said:

I love the contest theme so I just might join in the fun!

A Mars Mission isn't a Mars Mission without a black and yellow something :laugh:

This will be a fun theme. Quite out of the box. I'm expecting some really novel entries, excited to see what people will come up with.

I myself don't have something spring to mind right now (hmm, maybe I do), but we'll see :)

Have fun everyone! :excited:

Edited by Erik Leppen

Question: can we build alien spacecraft? What if we pair them with human Mars vehicles (perhaps harvesting the spacecraft for parts)?

Wow, the contest description combined with the conditions open the door for endless creativity! I think this contest will break the records in number of participants and number of quality builds.

Looks very interesting, Mars and Technic, what better time to start with MOC'ing Technic, will give it a go, not promising anything amazing as a first go.

56 minutes ago, ArsMan064 said:

Stickers can be placed on 2+ parts or only on the one part?

No sticker limits. Go nuts ?

On 5/30/2019 at 1:37 PM, efferman said:

A coffee maker would accept as usefull too?

Save that idea for a future contest ☺️

Cool!

Just saw the post today. Maybe I will get out of my slump for this. Just been tinkering lately.

I'm impressed by the lack of questions about the rules in this topic :laugh:

Either the contest has clear rules or not many people are interested in it :tongue: