• Poor
    • Below Average
    • Average
    • Above Average
    • Outstanding

IMG_5832.PNG.ba6c8e6bf95bd20370afb846aca47672.PNG

"Cut off one head, two more shall take its place."

"Hail HYDRA."

This is my 31st reviews in Eurobricks and I'm very happy to present more LEGO set reviews here. I enjoyed it very much and hope you like them too.

Overview

Name: 76048 Iron Skull Sub Attack
Theme: Marvel Super Heroes
Year: 2016
Pieces: 335
Minifigures: 4
Price: £29.99 / $29.99

The Box

The box art of the set is showing a mission of Iron Man saving Captain America that was captured by Iron Skull. The battle occurred in the ocean and red skull seems to be able to breath underwater without any breathing apparatus.

Cap is saved! Here you can see a few play features in the set build and the fight around the submarine.

Side panel features the 1:1 Scuba Iron Man.

The Instruction Booklets

There are two instruction booklets here and one comic book. (My first book was crumpled when I put them in my bag..) 

The parts list. To me, 4632100 and 6135470 is quite special in this set.

giphy.gif

I've put the comic book in this GIF, stay a little while here to read the comics and it kinds of promoting the other set 76049 Avenjet Space Mission which I still don't have..:cry3:

Stickers, not a lot and they are quite easy to apply as they are required at large pieces.

The Build

Let's start with this small build of the underwater vehicle piloted by this Hydra Diver. It is a simple build with matching colour of the minifigure. 

The weird looking submarine has a fierce and menacing look from the front. Red eyes with orange teeth. :sick:

Let's see what's inside. It is actually a very brilliant build using these three parts combined to look like teeth which I like it very much. 

Side views. They looked very symmetrical from both left and right.

giphy.gif

The panels open this way and there is a storage box for you to put those extra ammo for the stud shooters.

The back view. As I mentioned, the ship is very symmetrical. 

giphy.gif

Captain America's cell is clipped to the yellow part near the Hydra sticker and chained so that it won't float away. that yellow part under Iron Skull's seat is to hold the cell in place. It can be taken out by removing the clip quite forcefully but the body of the ship is quite sturdy so it won't fall apart so easily.

Captain's cell in trans red door panels. The space is just nice for cap and his shield. But if he is inside with his shield, he won't be inside anymore, right?*huh*

The Minifigures

Iron Skull. Johann Shmidt is the leader of Hydra, a terrorist group derived from the Nazis. He was powered by an early and unstable version of the Super-Soldier Serum, and adopted the identity of Red Skull. Since then, he has battled Captain America and his fellow heroes for years, without ever achieve his goals of global domination.

He is bald so he can't have alternative face. His torso is nicely done with red and black. The front and back printings resembles that he is wearing an Iron suit around him underwater. 

Hydra henchman. Underwater Red Skull's minion. Not much information on who is this loyal supporter of Hydra who's willing to fight to the death for the bad guys. 

He is wearing a pair of shiny goggles, green suit with a batman utility belt with a H on the buckle. He is equipped with a Scuba Breathing Regulator  and lime green flippers.  

Steve Rogers. Captain Steven Grant "Steve" Rogers is a World War IIveteran, a founding member of the Avengers, and Earth's first known superhero. Rogers was the only recipient of the Super Soldier Serum developed by Abraham Erskine under the Strategic Scientific Reserve.

He has a breathing apparatus and a pair of red flippers and he is holding his Vibranium shield as usual. This print is quite cartoonish but it looks nice and muscular. His head print is also very detailed with the back of the helmet also printed with silver base. 

Scuba Iron Man. The Mark 37 (Mark XXXVII), also known by its codename as "Hammerhead", is a Deep Sea Suit, and was one of several new Iron Man Armors created by Tony Stark as part of the Iron Legion. The armor was created sometime after the Battle of New York. This suit is in Iron man 3 preparing to fight the Extremis Soldiers.

I LOVE this sand green Iron Man!!! This armour piece is so well designed and the printed trans clear round tile on the chest is a very nice touch to the minifigure! To me this design of iron man is impeccable. :wub::wub::wub::wub::wub::wub::wub::wub::wub::wub::wub::wub::wub::wub::wub::wub::wub::wub::wub::wub:

You think that's all for this minifigure? The torso print under the armour is also amazingly done! I really love the bronze-gold colour stripes printed on this sand green figure. Don't forget there is a turbo jet printed at the back of the torso too!

Minifigures only without anything attached. They are perfect.

I am not so sure why this set is unpopular. Look at these minifigures, as a Marvel fan, this set is not to be missed! 

Conclusion

This is a very nice set for Marvel fan and Iron man minifigure (List of LEGO Iron Man) collector. The minifigures are colourful. Maybe the downside of the set is the submarine build which kind of hard to relate to any Marvel movie. 

Review summary

Playability6/10 - The submarine is not really playable unless you want to store minifigure in the cell.
Design / Building Experience8/10 -The design of the sub is good and nice part use of the orange teeth.
Minifigures:  10/10 - Perfect minifigures! They are so nicely designed and printed!
Price / Value for money: 9/10 - The value goes to the minifigures. Unless you like to display a scary looking submarine on your shelf. (But we can always put it beside the haunted house right?)
Overall: 8.25/10 - Not bad overall score for an underwater set. 

Again, very nice minifigures!

Let me know your thoughts in the comments section below.

My reviews in Eurobricks.

1. Review: 76060 Doctor Strange's Sanctum Sanctorum
  2. Review: 60134 Fun in the park - City People Pack
  3. Review: 70911 The Penguin™ Arctic Roller
  4. Review: 70818 Double-Decker Couch
  5. REVIEW: LEGO 76051 SUPER HERO AIRPORT BATTLE
  6. REVIEW: Short comparison of various sized Antman.
  7. Review: 9469 Gandalf Arrives
  8. Review: 31015 Emerald Express & 31054 Blue Express
  9. Review: 79018 The Lonely Mountain
  10. Review: 9474 The Battle of Helm's Deep
  11. Review: 21029 The Buckingham Palace
  12. [Review] 30611 R2-D2 Polybag
  13. Review: 9473 The Mines of Moria
  14. Review: 41103 Pop Star Recording Studio
  15. Review of City of Wonders Gift Sets in Malaysia.
  16. Review: 75030 Millennium Falcon
  17. Review of 76084 The Ultimate Battle for Asgard and 76088 Thor vs Hulk: Arena Clash
  18. Review of 76099 Rhino Face-Off by the Mine and 76100 Royal Talon Fighter Attack.
  19. Review of 76031 The Hulk Buster Smash and 76104 The Hulkbuster Smash Up
  20. Review: 75230 Porg
  21. [REVIEW] 5005254 - Harry Potter Minifigures (Bricktober 2018)
  22. [REVIEW] 5005255 - Jurassic World Minifigures (Bricktober 2018)
  23. [REVIEW] 5005257 - NINJAGO Minifigures (Bricktober 2018)
  24. [REVIEW] 5005256 - Marvel Infinity War Minifigures (Bricktober 2018)
  25. Review: 76105 The Hulkbuster: Ultron Edition
  26. Review: 70841 Benny's Space Squad
  27. Review of 76039 Ant-man Final Battle and 76109 Quantum Realm Explorers
  28. Review: 79003 An Unexpected Gathering
  29. The Fellowship of the Ring Collection.
  30. Review: 30452 Iron Man and Dum-E Polybag

Great quality pics! And a great review in general. Thanks for posting this!

4 hours ago, Jim said:

Great quality pics! And a great review in general. Thanks for posting this!

Thanks @Jim! I'm lucky to acquire this set before the price got up due to that exclusive sand green iron man. On my way of searching and reviewing 76049, hopefully I can find it. :excited:

I found this set on discount yesterday and the timing of this review is very convenient to me.

One thing that I was particularly looking in your review, which I could not find, is the immediate content of the box once opened. I  just realised how useful this one single image to check the completeness of the set so I also made a mental note to always add this image in my reviews. 

Apart from that missing image, the presentation of the review is very well thought and put together.

Thanks for making this great review!

Great review! And I think this set is based off the Avengers: Assemble cartoon rather than any MCU movies or associated franchises.

Nice and beautiful set, especially the minifigures :classic: I love that Red (Iron) Skull minifigure :wub: Thank you for the cool review of this set! :thumbup:

Edited by Besters_Brick

On 5/27/2019 at 11:34 AM, makoy said:

I found this set on discount yesterday and the timing of this review is very convenient to me.

One thing that I was particularly looking in your review, which I could not find, is the immediate content of the box once opened. I  just realised how useful this one single image to check the completeness of the set so I also made a mental note to always add this image in my reviews. 

Apart from that missing image, the presentation of the review is very well thought and put together.

Thanks for making this great review!

Nice catch! Thanks for the reminder of taking the immediate content of the box. I'll remind myself next time. Thanks again for your kind words!

On 5/27/2019 at 12:14 PM, tfcrafter said:

Great review! And I think this set is based off the Avengers: Assemble cartoon rather than any MCU movies or associated franchises.

Thanks @tfcrafter. Yes it is based on the cartoon but the Scuba does appear in the movie for a glimpse i think. :wub:

latest?cb=20130825110314

On 5/28/2019 at 3:48 AM, LEGO Train 12 Volts said:

Beautiful set ... I missed the green iron man costume ...I find it amazing! :classic:

Yes it is amazing, @LEGO Train 12 Volts

On 5/30/2019 at 2:23 AM, Besters_Brick said:

Nice and beautiful set, especially the minifigures :classic: I love that Red (Iron) Skull minifigure :wub: Thank you for the cool review of this set! :thumbup:

Thanks @Besters_Brick. Me too!