mouseketeer

[MOC] Modular Baker Street of London

I've just finished designing this new MOC - a Modular Baker Street of London! Based on the iconic home of the world's greatest detective, this modular comprises Sherlock Holmes's 221B Baker Street house and a mysterious Antiques Store next-door. Sherlock's home includes an ornate Victorian living room and bedroom, a rooftop terrace (with a greenhouse, telescope, and table for afternoon tea), and Sherlock's laboratory filled with equipment and apparatus for solving his latest whodunnit. The two-level Antiques Store contains all manner of antique minibuilds, along with an old-fashioned elevator, and Sherlock's biggest secret - a moving bookcase that creates a secret passageway into Holmes's house! Outside, the streets of London are iconified with a 'pillarbox' mailbox and classic red telephone box. :)

The full album is at https://www.flickr.com/photos/146006635@N03/albums/72157708746456688/with/47926318176/

47926318176_9dc63975b3_c.jpgBaker Street 1 by mouseketeer 111, on Flickr

47926311827_37a350fd32_c.jpgBaker Street 2 by mouseketeer 111, on Flickr

47926318126_19593cca53_c.jpgBaker Street 3 by mouseketeer 111, on Flickr

47926318558_9749d2156c_c.jpgBaker Street 5 by mouseketeer 111, on Flickr

47926311557_2701bc4472_c.jpgBaker Street 9 by mouseketeer 111, on Flickr

This is amazing! It really nails the tricky balance of maintaining a consistent level of detail with the official modulars. The bookcase passageway is easily my favorite bit, but I also really like the rooftop greenhouse.

Superb! It has all the elements of a good modular: nice shapes and colours (I particularly like how the antiques store is some bricks further back than 221B and how it's a whole floor shorter (both buildings interact marvellously :classic:). I think you've struck a very nice balance between detail and general shaping. Some builds excel in shaping but are sometimes lost in finding some extra character and feel dead and others are a plethora of detail but lack background, a firm base. Yours feels detailed, but not drowned in details.

And speaking of details, they're awesome! While not British myself, just by looking at the buildings, especially 221B and both ground floors, I can tell they're British. In fact, 221B is probably the best rendition I've ever seen of an English townhouse in Lego; it just has everything! The bow window with the fence - just perfect! The mailbox and the telephone box, gorgeous!. I personally also really like the staired entrance with the small porch. And the interiors are perfect, and the added playability of the moving door is awesome! :grin_wub:. I'm not as big of a fan of the house over to the right, as something about it just whispers "chinese" to me, for some reason it reminds me of buildings you could find in Chinatown (which was maybe the intention, I don't know). But nonetheless, maybe my suspicions are grounded and Sherlock has  found something odd there too...

I think this is a much better modular than your previous Italian Restaurant, which I had reservations about. As I've said, very good job!

Pau

PD: Nice touch with the fallen pettals on the pavement!