Captain_Quinn

[INSTRUCTIONS] Babylon 5 Omega Class Destroyer

This thread follows on from @manglegrat's re-creation threads for the EAS Agamemnon and EAS Schwarzkopf.

As many of you may well know, I found Manglegrats LDD files and this thread a while back, detailing the recreation of @Rolsen's EAS Agamemnon from SHIPtember 2016. I've said it before, and I'll reiterate my admiration for the creativity both these guys have shown with versions 1.0 and 1.1. What began originally as a personal redesign has blossomed into a full instructions project. Both Ryan (rolsen) and David (manglegrat) have been involved during development, providing valuable feedback, guidance, suggestions and encouragement.

Today, we present this: a full color, 364 page, secured PDF of instructions to build the v1.2 series design of the Omega Class Destroyer from Babylon 5. At present, this is a digital-only release in PDF form, accompanied by an XML parts list file, and image files for the UCS-style placard and decals for the ship. The PDF includes in-universe background of the 'future history' background in Babylon 5, a brief history of the design, brief design team bio's, background of the original design and creation of the Omega class by Paul Bryant for Babylon 5, and a graphical parts list.

46986894235_b5496333d5_k_d.jpg
47932517642_f400d0a7ad_k_d.jpg

If you've been following the thread on the recreation of the EAS Agamemnon, you'll already know that this has been a long term, labor-of-love project and that there is no intent to profit directly from these instructions. I've not licensed the intellectual property, nor am I sole designer... so we three have agreed to release this under a donation-ware model.

So here's how this works:
1. Select a humanitarian charity.
2. Donate AUD$15 (about USD$10) to that charity
3. Email the receipt to tdmocs@gmail.com
4. You'll receive by return email a download link for your distribution package
5. Unzip that package to folder of your choosing on your device/computer
6. Open the password protected PDF. XML and PNG files included in the distribution are not secured.

Whilst the images are included for you to print your own stickers, we've partnered with OKBrickWorks (on both eBay and Bricklink) to offer high quality decals at the following prices:
Achilles/Agamemnon decal sets (name, EA logo, UCS Sticker) : USD$15 for domestic US shipping, +USD$2 postage elsewhere.
Custom name version: Add USD$3 to christen your ship with a different name.

As far as charities to donate to are concerned, our only requirement is that they are genuine, humanitarian charities. Secular is good, a-political is essential. I've no desire to get into a discussion about whether a $10 donation to the National Rifle Association, your political party of choice, the KKK, Greenpeace, your local church group or the next GoFundMe that comes along, is suitable. If in doubt, please contact me and ask. Global charities that I've suggested are the likes of Médecins Sans Frontières (Doctors without Borders), Mercy Ships, Unicef and World Vision. One smart idea I heard recently is to donate a supply of vaccines through the World Health Organisation to impoverished nations. Charities that educate, ease poverty, help those escaping domestic violence/persecution, and those supporting mental health sufferers. In Australia, there are several that are close to my heart, such as RizeUp (a domestic violence charity supported by a number of local AFOLs and Lego resellers), Childrens Hospital Foundation, The Fred Hollows Foundation, and Beyond Blue.

Now, at time of posting this, Flickr is having MAJOR downtime for maintenance, so I'll try posting images from alternate hosts and then edit this post afterwards.

Edited by Captain_Quinn
UPDATE: New options. Image update

Love this.  Love the MOC, love the concept of charitable donations for instructions, and love the simple but effective execution.  Bravo!  :sweet:

Mega-congratulations, and van-loads of kudos to you for getting this awesome project over the finish line, @Captain_Quinn:thumbup:

For anyone out there who's interested in a quick review: the final product (instructions PDF) is incredibly professional, full of great background info about the show and ship; the steps flow really well and are very easy to follow; and the model itself is very screen-accurate, beautiful and very solidly built. 

It's well worth your consideration! Add-in the donationware aspect and you're not only getting an awesome product, you're helping people who need it.

What's not to love?! :wub:

Earthforce needs YOU - sign up now! :laugh:

Hi all, I signed up especially to post here! Love this MOC and really looking forward to building one some time. I have emailed tdmocs a couple of times since late December but haven't heard back, is this offer still going?

Cheers! 

Hi dshibi,

Yes, the offer is still going, and will continue to do so for as long as I'm around.

Can you email me again at tdmocs@gmail.com please? I've just checked the mailbox and every enquiry has been replied to.

Thanks

Thanks Captain_Quinn,

have just sent another email off - hopefully it turns up! 

Cheers,

Dan

On 1/23/2021 at 12:04 PM, Captain_Quinn said:

Hi dshibi,

Yes, the offer is still going, and will continue to do so for as long as I'm around.

Can you email me again at tdmocs@gmail.com please? I've just checked the mailbox and every enquiry has been replied to.

Thanks

Hi just came across this - are you still running this offer?

I just started re-watching B5 again and doing Lego builds with my daughter - I stumbled across this through a Facebook group and was blown away and thought it would be a great project

On 1/24/2023 at 3:40 AM, lboromark said:

Hi just came across this - are you still running this offer?

I just started re-watching B5 again and doing Lego builds with my daughter - I stumbled across this through a Facebook group and was blown away and thought it would be a great project

Apologies for my absence from the forums, but yes, the offer is still available.