Srdjan5033

[MOC] FAP 2026 6x6 BS-AV Serbian military truck

Hello there,

I have decided to finally post something since joining a few months ago, but lurking for many years :blush: 

I always loved seeing other people build marvelous Technic trucks from trial trucks to regular dump trucks, but never seemed to get around to ordering the parts i needed as there were plenty of gaps in my then small collection to do any model justice and there was always another tank that needed to be built as i had plenty of track pieces. In the end i managed to get my hands on the Arocs and with a few bricklink orders i had the needed supplies. As this is my first full studless design i had a lot to learn and getting Sariels book helped a lot in learning how to reinforce the frame as i had a few technic sets but little experience actually building MOC's with it. I saw plenty of these trucks rolling around doing stuff other than military duties as many have been sold to the general populace and are quite famous for being reliable and easily retrofitted to do  jobs such as logging or hauling heavy loads up to 10t.

6pqRB55.jpg

shU6Cte.jpg

I started in January this year and only finished the truck a few days ago, but i have a few more touch-ups and to ask for advice.

The truck is in 1:19 scale, scaled to the tire size as that was the only fixed dimension i had for the truck. The dimensions are : L  x W x H 410 x 136 x 180 (mm) or 51 x 17 x 22.5 studs. I used some old technical drawings and manuals to get the dimensions right. It is powered by a single XL Motor geared down 2.334:1. It has 6x6 all wheel drive with differentials and no locks which affects its climbing abilities a fair bit, but making locking diffs is a bit too tricky for me now. The steering is done using a PF Servo motor.

DkrGTKo.jpg

pt90vkF.jpg

S81TwjI.jpg

The truck has a solid front axle with yellow hard springs as the cab was getting a bit too heavy for a single grey one, and the design of the front axle allowed for only one spring attached. The rear axle is a double bogie with  springs to keep them steady and to limit the maximum range of motion to keep the CV joint from sliding of the short central power axle. The CV joint are, as we all know, the weakest link of my power train but i had no other option in such a small space between the axles. I tried to reinforce the joint with a small Lego tier, and it keeps it together over small bumps and up to 2 studs high obstacles. Heavy terrain aka. the thick carped prove to much of a challenge and they pop out. But as i mentioned it was not meant to be a pure blood trial truck so driving on relatively flat terrain is fine.

uRUtu1f.jpg

JKWrW3m.jpg

5K6NrYt.jpg

buJyklb.jpg

dHZeVVt.jpg

The cab has a basic interior with a static steering wheel, seats and openable doors. The fake V8 engine is exposed in the center of the cab. The cab can be lifted open to reveal the engine and lighting cables as well as the PF Rechargeable battery box and a solitary IR receiver in the back. The front bumper is equipped with a single set of PF Led lights. I am in the process of getting a second pair for the rear brake lights and a PF switch for their control. The front bumper also has a hole for a winch cable that i need to find room for in the back of the truck. 

4upfSAC.jpg

ldFTb48.jpg

S3cd06o.jpg

The truck bed sides can be opened to allow for easier loading of cargo and it has ready holes for installment of canopy support struts.

NzJAmAK.jpg

P3zbBeV.jpg

I got my hands on some steered wheel hubs and a few standard ones for the rear wheels as i have found out that thanks to the trucks weight of 2Kg, the rear wheels have a tendency to fall of and the front wheels bend a bit outwards. So i wanted to seek your advice : Is there a better, similar length, CV joint replacement for the final drive or a way to reinforce it further ?  I am also open to suggestions on how to improve the looks and driving abilities. I hope you like it ! Cheers :grin: 

PS. I just noticed i left out the side rear view mirrors. They will be added in the following days as well as the winch. Hopefully i can fit a M motor and mechanism under the truck bed. Anyone have a compact winch design ?

I've used a simple independent rear suspension on my MOC with very good results..  Its based from the rear suspension from the 40th anniversary (2017) chassis model..  you should try it out ,,, this video is an example of the rear independent suspension in action 

Edited by sirslayer

9 minutes ago, Carsten Svendsen said:

What's the worm gear on an angle used for, that I spot on the undercarriage?

The worm gear can slide along regular axles and i use it to make a variable leght axle. It can slide about a stude total up and down the lenght. It is realiable and can handle a lot more of torque compared to a CV joint but it is significantly longer thant a CV joint.

Had to be used for steering with the servo as the live front axle has a lot of motion and solid connection just get disconnected.

2 hours ago, sirslayer said:

I've used a simple independent rear suspension on my MOC with very good results..  Its based from the rear suspension from the 40th anniversary (2017) chassis model..  you should try it out ,,, this video is an example of the rear independent suspension in action.

Independent axles would be a bit to wide for my moc. And i wanted to test my metle with live axles.

If i used independent i would only have to deal with U joints and CV in the axles but they are braced so they wouldn't pop out.

I will use independent axles in my next moc as i plan to build a Mass Effect Mako exploration vehicle.

8 hours ago, Mechbuilds said:

You should use these for the rear axles: lego-medium-stone-gray-wheel-bearing-wit

These bad boy's will be used in the comming days, but i still have the CV joints to deal with in power delivery from the XL motor.

Edited by Srdjan5033
Typing error

Upgrade time ! All the axles got new Wheel hubs and that has fixed the issue of the wheels falling of and the front wheel flexing. Now it is time to work on that winch. Anyone have a nice compact winch module that i can modify ? :grin:

nKSYX7E.jpg

On 5/24/2019 at 12:49 AM, Srdjan5033 said:

The worm gear can slide along regular axles and i use it to make a variable leght axle. It can slide about a stude total up and down the lenght. It is realiable and can handle a lot more of torque compared to a CV joint but it is significantly longer thant a CV joint.

That is really smart!! Very nice looking MOC as well, just one question- where are the front lights?

There are these two pin holes on the front bumper, that is where the LEDs shine trough. I have however omitted to provide a nice picture of them :sceptic: It will be provided in the next few days, as i  am working on that winch and it is giving me a headache since the space is rather tight beneath the truck bed.

And thank you for the kind remarks :classic: The ideas for the worm gear shaft connector and the tires on the CV joint have been taken from some other Lego builder, but i can not remember their names for the life of me, as i would credit them. 

8 hours ago, M_longer said:

And side mirrors? :)

8 hours ago, sirslayer said:

@Srdjan5033 I would like to request a video to see it performance and handling .. or is it a shelf model?  

All coming in the next few days :) The model drives fine on flat terrain, handles up to 20% incline, and some minor obstacles up to two-three studs high. Any more than that and the CV joints give up the ghost, as the models is  2Kg heavy :sceptic: I have a bit of work getting all the stamps for my fifth year of medical schools to verify my last semester, so i am sorry for the delay. 

Good news ! It would appear that the front CV joint is not needed and it has been replaced with a regular U joint, dramatically improving the driving ability over rough terrain and minor obstacles. As a result of a stronger front axle drive, the rear CV joints is less prone to giving way. This and more updates in the next few days with photo and video.

Edited by Srdjan5033

It would seem that it is rebuild time again :grin:

But first, the lights and the side mirrors.

YJrhiQR.jpg

I have been working on a compact winch. Nothing too special or final. Also i decided to remove the gas tank, and put two IR receivers there, as i will need another channel for the winch motor, and in place of the one in the box behind the cab i will put a switch for the lights.

AfO1T0M.jpg 5wps9By.jpg

Love how the cables are turning out :laugh:

SC8H7FF.jpg

Edited by Srdjan5033

Got some time to work on the truck today and i am pretty sure that it is finished now. Just need to make a video of it driving. Here are some new pictures of the touch-ups and the winch.

croLlhO.jpg vyOPI8h.jpg

The winch powered by a single M motor, so it is not too powerful, but it can aid the truck in climbing a bit. Not to mention the lack of proper suppor for the cable as there was little space left to work with.

s0z5hox.jpg

n6rWpcn.jpg

3KOGwWJ.jpg

I had to move the IR receiver to the side and add another one for the winch. I have disguised them a bit to look like air tanks. Finally put in the rear light and blinkers, but they are not illuminated as i ran out of PF LED's. 

jvj6DgG.jpg

The lights can be turned on or off using the switch on the side. The cables were a nightmare to fit beneath the truck bed. Had to use some elactic bands to keep them in check.

HEtnvlj.jpg

The PF battery box has all the room in the world :)

lyuEbHu.jpg

And lastly i have put in some extra interior details such as the speedometer, buttons and wiper stick.

A video will come in the next few days, as soon as i get some time and nice sunlight. Hope you like the progress so far :laugh:

Edited by Srdjan5033