Hello,

I've been searching for a while now, but can't find anything that really helps me out. I would like to convert a Multi Part Document (MPD) file to Lego Digital Designer (LDD/LXF). I've imported the MPD file into LDCad (from what I read online this is the way to do it), but when I save (as) it's still a MPD file. Can someone tell me how to convert the file so that I can open it in LDD? 

Thank you in advance. 

Ps. I've searched this forum for answers, but couldn't find any. If there are than excuse me for making this topic. 

Edited by Hoth Rebel
Title change

LDD can import LDR files (not MPD).

You need to

1. Flatten your MPD file into an LDR file (I don’t know which tool can do that (MPDCenter?), I have a simple Ruby script if necessary),
  2. Use an up-to-date ldraw.xml file, like this one.

18 minutes ago, 1963maniac said:

I have been successful simply re-naming the file from XXX.mpd to XXX.ldr

Have you seen this?

https://wiki.ldraw.org/wiki/LDraw_to_LDD_conversion

BTW, Stud.io will convert to LDRAW (for future reference).

I've seen that page, but the file is MPD and not LDR yet. I can't try to rename it.

I can upload it to studio, but the program crashes most of the time so that's why I would like to use Digital Designer.

2 hours ago, SylvainLS said:

LDD can import LDR files (not MPD).

You need to

1. Flatten your MPD file into an LDR file (I don’t know which tool can do that (MPDCenter?), I have a simple Ruby script if necessary),
  2. Use an up-to-date ldraw.xml file, like this one.

I know. 

I already got lost at the first task haha. I don't use LDcad or other programs so I'm only used to Digital Designer. 

29 minutes ago, Hoth Rebel said:

I already got lost at the first task haha.

An MPD file actually contains multiple LDR files, each one a group/submodel, in a hierarchical manner.

Changing the extension won’t change the file’s structure.  If you import an MPD (whatever its extension) in LDD, all the submodels are imported on top of one another, and only once for each.  Basically, LDD just imports the parts, not caring about the submodels and the multi-file structure (as far as LDD is concerned, submodels are just big parts it doesn’t know about and all the rest is “comments”).

“Flattening” means replacing all the submodels by their parts, at the right places and orientations.  You then have a single model, “flat” because there’s no hierarchy anymore above the part level, no groups, no submodels.  You could do that in Studio by “releasing” each and every submodel one by one.

I thought about writing an ldr2lxf along with lxf2ldr but couldn’t see the real use (compared to the work).  Though, if I have a little time, I’ll make a portable Javascript tool to flatten MPD files in the next few days.

You can 'flatten' a mpd using LDCad by:

- go into nested mode (press the N key while inside the editing area),

- select all (ctrl+a)

- copy (ctrl+c)

- paste it (ctrl+v) in a new model (or even notepad or something)

On 5/23/2019 at 10:20 AM, Hoth Rebel said:

I can upload it to studio, but the program crashes most of the time so that's why I would like to use Digital Designer.

You may have some other problems. Stud.io never has a problem opening LDRs or MPDs for me, Make sure you have the latest edition of Stud.io. Could you post the MPD here so we can take a look at the code?

Edited by 1963maniac