Hi everbody,

being a scale model guy I very rarely post here but I feel this is the best sub-forum to get answers to a few questions. Usually I build models approximately the same scales as Creator Expert cars. But now I feel it's time to (slightly) get out of my comfort zone and go a little bigger. I would like to build a car scaled 1:10 (62.4x20 tyres) and possibly motorize it. The weight of the model itself will be around 1.5kg. Some questions came to my mind:

1. I will need some sort of working suspension. One or two springs on each wheel? Soft or hard spring?

2. I found a simple way to implement Ackermann steering geometry without a working suspension. Is there a way to have a working suspension plus Ackermann steering geometry?

3. Which motors and how many would you suggest for motorizing the model? Is it even possible considering the extra weight for motors and batteries?

@JIm: If this thread is better suited in the scale model forum please move it there.

Any kind of answers and suggestions are highly appreciated. Thanks!

Would this chassis work for what ever you're constructing? 

2potYJHl.png

It has high steering angle and 4x4. Lost of flex and great crawling for it's scale. 

EDIT; it can also be made to go very fast by switching the middle gears around. 
Normal gear ratio is 4.632:1
When switching the gears around, you get 1:1.667

Edited by Mechbuilds

Since this is about the technical part of the MOC, let's keep it here.

23 hours ago, legophisto said:

Ackermann steering geometry

Ackecrmann, or You want turning point in the center of the wheel?

3 hours ago, Jurss said:

Ackecrmann, or You want turning point in the center of the wheel?

Both what be great. But I can't see how to get the turning point in the center of the wheel unless I use some kind of virtual pivot steering which I try do avoid. As I mentioned in my first post: Ackermann steering geometry without a working suspension is no problem. But is there a way to achieve both Ackermann steering and a working suspension?

Thanks Jim for editing the title of the thread!

15 hours ago, legophisto said:

is there a way to achieve both Ackermann steering and a working suspension?

I think, it is really easy. OK, at the suspension travel endpoints, geometry will not be so correct.

In axle collection thread there is some crazy idea for everything, using those large,rounded, yellow gear racks from BWE.

I once made concept, but didn't finished with really working model

800x518.jpg

I think I also seen somewhere really some kind of multilink steering, using mostly those steering links (dark grey in my picture)

Thanks to everyone who replied so far and sorry for bumping up a rather dead topic!

The chassis of my car is nearly complete now. Independent front suspension, rear suspension (not independent), differential and rear wheel drive are working quite well. But I do have problems implementing the servo motor for steering. Actually I need an angle of just around 45 degree instead of 90 degree even when using the 8 tooth gear. Will I destroy the servo motor with parts blocking the gear rack at around 45 degree turning angle? If so is there a rather compact way to gear the angle down to just 45 degree? Or should I go for a steering mechanism avoiding gear racks (like 10265 Ford Mustang)? Since the model is just 16 wide (scale 1:13) there is not a lot of room left.

Any kind of answer is appreciated.

Id suggest checking out sets like 42077, those use roughly 1:10 sized wheels and suspenion, 42077 also has lots of open space, so would be pretty easy to motorize and see how much oomph you need to get the performance you want.

Then use the experience gained there to build the base for your own MOC

Thanks for your reply! That sounds like a good idea. I am really struggeling with Technic since this is my first moc with a few technic functions. What I have already experienced is how much more you have to admire all those great mocs here. Giving it a go yourself changes your point of view heavily.