Cylo

[MOC] Space interceptor

Hello all! 

First post in this forum! 

I present to you the space interceptor, was a quick and fun little build off the parts I had lying around.

Space interceptor

Comments and criticism are welcome!

This is a great little one man fighter!  It's sleek and compact, which makes it look like it's built with cost and storage considerations in mind.  I can imagine a capital ship with several of these: a wing already flying combat space patrol, and the rest in the docking bay ready to scramble when the enemy appears on the scanners.

I do have a few comments:
1) I tend to avoid designs that can shoot itself.  I would move the weapons from behind the cockpit to the wings or the nose.
2) I also tend to avoid cockpit designs where the minifigure has to lean way back to fit.  Adding a plate or two to the height of the interceptor would allow you to build a much more comfortable cockpit for the pilot.
3) This one is more personal taste, but adding a color stripe for a splash of color would help the MOC pop.  I know it's not as realistic as all grey, but LEGO presentation is about catching the eye of the viewer.  If it helps, you can stick with more "military" colors, like green or blue.

16 hours ago, pombe said:

This is a great little one man fighter!  It's sleek and compact, which makes it look like it's built with cost and storage considerations in mind.  I can imagine a capital ship with several of these: a wing already flying combat space patrol, and the rest in the docking bay ready to scramble when the enemy appears on the scanners.

I do have a few comments:
1) I tend to avoid designs that can shoot itself.  I would move the weapons from behind the cockpit to the wings or the nose.
2) I also tend to avoid cockpit designs where the minifigure has to lean way back to fit.  Adding a plate or two to the height of the interceptor would allow you to build a much more comfortable cockpit for the pilot.
3) This one is more personal taste, but adding a color stripe for a splash of color would help the MOC pop.  I know it's not as realistic as all grey, but LEGO presentation is about catching the eye of the viewer.  If it helps, you can stick with more "military" colors, like green or blue.

Hi! Thanks for the feedback!

The height of the ship is a problem since the cockpit is a tight fit, but I don't see how I can make the ship taller without making it a lot more bulkier. 

For the cannons, I initially planned to have them on the wings, but whilst building the back I just had that piece sticking up, and I ought to put something on it otherwise it kinda looked weird. 

Again, this was a build off what parts I had lying around (I don't have that much spare bricks) and is one of my first actual MOCs. I aimed it to be kind of like something you'd find in Star Wars, and most of their ships are grey.

Your feedback means a lot and I really appreciate it :sweet:

I fully agree with @pombe on color (but understand why you wouldn't), kinda-sorta agree on weapons, and totally disagree on the minifig reclining. It's like a Camaro--you can't just make it taller so that you're not practically lying down, right?

All in all, great little ship! :thumbup: Bring more things here for us to talk about!

It has a great shape. It's difficult to invent a ship yourself and make it look plausible, since the ships in most sci fi films and illustrations were invented by people either with qualifications in graphic design or some super artistic gift. But this wouldnt look out of place in a real Lego set I think. Well done!

On 5/24/2019 at 6:12 AM, LEGO Train 12 Volts said:

Lovely spaceship, I particularly appreciate the cannons on the roof ...very nice technique! :thumbup:

1 hour ago, rodiziorobs said:

I fully agree with @pombe on color (but understand why you wouldn't), kinda-sorta agree on weapons, and totally disagree on the minifig reclining. It's like a Camaro--you can't just make it taller so that you're not practically lying down, right?

All in all, great little ship! :thumbup: Bring more things here for us to talk about!

13 minutes ago, Retro said:

It has a great shape. It's difficult to invent a ship yourself and make it look plausible, since the ships in most sci fi films and illustrations were invented by people either with qualifications in graphic design or some super artistic gift. But this wouldnt look out of place in a real Lego set I think. Well done!

Thanks for your comments guys :sweet:, really appreciate them!