Hinckley

The Forest Mafia Conclusion—You Played Your Cards Well

10 minutes ago, Bob said:

Ah shit I thought you were def. 

I thought that was who you thought he was. :laugh: You made a comment on the dead board and I thought, "I don't think he knows it's Chromeknight."

I'm glad the confused final townie routine made a comeback though. This from the Forest 2 was my favorite scene for quite awhile:

"I don't get this!" Edgar yells. "Can we please just clear a couple of things up. Why are we still killing people? Aren't all of the Cultists dead? Friends, please explain this to me. I'm very confused."

"Edgar, who do you trust most?" Shawna asks.

"You," Edgar says lovingly. "You're my best friend. :cry_happy:"

"Listen to me then," Shawna asks. "This is going to be hard to accept, but you're the last Cultist."

"I am?" Edgar asks. "How is that possible?"

"You're so evil, you don't even know it," Shawna says.

"That makes sense," Edgar admits, relieved. "What do we do?"

"You have to set yourself on fire and kill yourself," Shawna explains.

"Really?" Edgars asks.

"Yes," Shawna insists. "If you don't kill yourself, Auntie Shawna and Uncle Booker will die."

"Anything for you, Auntie Shawna," Edgar says as he self-immolates. "It all makes sense now..."

Poor WhiteFang :cry_sad:

6 minutes ago, Bob said:

I'm glad the confused final townie routine made a comeback though. This from the Forest 2 was my favorite scene for quite awhile:

I almost did that exact thing to Haydn, have Whitby convince him to kill himself, but I was afraid it was a little too mean-spirited. :blush: Glad you caught the semi-reference.

But honestly, that story from Whitby was just bonkers. :wacko:

2 hours ago, mediumsnowman said:

I got accepted to dual study bioengineering and pre-medicine at a school in Texas, and I will be moving there next year, but there’s a lot of stress and cost that is associated with that transition, and these last few weeks have been particularly frustrating in that arena. Add in finals and missing an entire week of class to take AP tests, and you have a recipe for disaster. I fear I may have misdirected some of that pent-up frustration into this game, especially at Haydn’s perceived obstinance, and for that I am very sorry.

Hinckley can feel free to post the PM I sent him after I was lynched, and his very kind response, if he wishes, but I think I will be taking a nice long break from Mafia. I wish you all the best.

Congratulations on getting accepted into such a cool program! But don't forget: getting in is only half of the achievement - make sure to study hard when you're there. You'll do fine.

If you want to take a break from mafia we'll miss you, but you did a great job. I was so happy how quickly you picked up on my mason claim :wub:

2 hours ago, Chromeknight said:

I'm sorry to Braxton for the slender accusation. Bamboozled by Pierot, though reading the dead board you got dealt a crap hand dude. Props to Leevi, Ember and Brewer who played hard too.

Hey, getting Whitby is poor luck; getting Caldwell is my own lack of due diligence.

I clocked @Trekkie99 on Day One and PMed Hinckley to say so (so there'd be evidence for when I made this claim today). I realized he was playing very differently than in Pirates but I thought I shouldn't let that affect my judgment :wall:

1 hour ago, Tariq j said:

I think this is the third(?) time we’ve been in Private contact in a game! I’m really sorry for having to create that lie about you being the mailman and investigator. It was great playing with you briefly and hopefully no hard feelings :thumbup:

Oh no hard feelings at all, but I am sad you besmirched my memory with all those lies :wink: but after Pirates I definitely deserved to get snaked hard :laugh:.

1 hour ago, Hinckley said:

For everyone else's sake, I saw "Tariq J" in italics in the Day Thread, so I posted "It looks like someone is about to post in their real EB account instead of their player account. Don't do it." Or something like that, hoping he would see the "Hinckley has posted a reply (SHOW)" or whatever it says. Glad it worked! :snicker:

!!! He went a whole six days!

I told Hinck I’d check the conclusion, and I have!  It seems like a complicated set up.

Bob’s referenced me, so I had to check it out and...

As for the scum getting two actions, I think some certain people got very frustrated at that ability

I really don’t think you get my point of view.  I thought it was a broken game mechanic so I shrugged my shoulders and moved on.  If halfway through a soccer game, the forward picked up the ball and said hands were allowed, you could get frustrated, but it would depend on how invested you were in the game. 

After playing many (frankly, too many) mafia games, I came to a strong conclusion that if I didn’t know the rules of the game I was playing, I couldn’t really care too much about it.  I’m not a fan of the lottery.  Shortly after was my general mafia retirement :classic:

Remember, I'm a satanist and not ashamed to admit it.

Great game! Beautiful sets and photos. I added in the whol Oooh thing because I kept hearing an ad on the radio and everyone seemed to do that and it just got me really angry.

Good game everyone. Was really curious to see how the two scum teams were going to play out, and despite a pretty terrible start, town lasted longer than I expected. Been a long time since I've followed a mafia game, and enjoyed doing so with this one. :thumbup: 

Well played everyone! I throughly enjoyed this game, and had a great time working with my fellow Hellions.

Sorry Town and Monsters, you fought hard. Whitby/ TariqJ you did absolutely brilliantly staying cool in the later stages of the game, and you didn't give up! You brought it home for the win, well played! Croc/Trekkie99, I had a lot of fun playing on a team with you. I believe everyone in this game played well, and it has been the most pleasant and cordial game I have played, although I may yet be proved wrong!

I have lots more to say, but I'll come back later as "me" to say it. I must, however, say a massive Thank You to Hinckley for a fabulous and fun game, impeccably curated with hilarious cut scenes and a stunning MOC. Everything about your game was wonderful, and as a tribute to TinyPies it was entirely fitting. I'm pretty sure he would have loved it. 

On 5/17/2019 at 8:15 PM, def said:

I told Hinck I’d check the conclusion, and I have!  It seems like a complicated set up.

Bob’s referenced me, so I had to check it out and...

I really don’t think you get my point of view.  I thought it was a broken game mechanic so I shrugged my shoulders and moved on.  If halfway through a soccer game, the forward picked up the ball and said hands were allowed, you could get frustrated, but it would depend on how invested you were in the game. 

After playing many (frankly, too many) mafia games, I came to a strong conclusion that if I didn’t know the rules of the game I was playing, I couldn’t really care too much about it.  I’m not a fan of the lottery.  Shortly after was my general mafia retirement :classic:

Remember, I'm a satanist and not ashamed to admit it.

I’ll rephrase what I said because even though we argue a lot in every mafia game we play in, I think you’re a good friend to me. I wasn’t calling you out specifically when I said certain people, quite a number of people were upset at the mechanics of Pirates. Even jamesn expressed his concerns about a shitstorm brewing when the game was over when people found out about things such like the recruit and double scum night action. It might not look it, but I do understand your position very well. I like trying new things and experimenting with every mafia game I host, but I also take feedback from the players in the previous game, which is why I’ll be fixing a lot of the concerns people had and clarifying things in the rules. 

I’m hoping you don’t retire again because I think you’re a damn good mafia player. I’m also hoping you’ll participate in the sequel to Pirates which will take place later on this year. I want people to host between now and then so there’s not three anonymous games in a row. Plus I’m looking forward to Cosplay 3.

2 hours ago, Bob said:

I’m hoping you don’t retire again because I think you’re a damn good mafia player. I’m also hoping you’ll participate in the sequel to Pirates which will take place later on this year. I want people to host between now and then so there’s not three anonymous games in a row. Plus I’m looking forward to Cosplay 3.

I was actually contemplating hosting again if no one was going to. I've got no desire at the moment to run an anonymous game, so it'll probably be a similar format to Kintobor's Cosplay Mafia. :classic:

Fun game to watch, Hinckley! I always enjoyed the effort you put into your sets and your offbeat sense of humour! :laugh:

@fhomess Look, a hosting volunteer!

48 minutes ago, Kintobor said:

I was actually contemplating hosting again if no one was going to. I've got no desire at the moment to run an anonymous game, so it'll probably be a similar format to Kintobor's Cosplay Mafia. :classic:

Fun game to watch, Hinckley! I always enjoyed the effort you put into your sets and your offbeat sense of humour! :laugh:

Thanks, Kintobor! I appreciate that a lot.

6 hours ago, Kintobor said:

5 hours ago, Hinckley said:

@fhomess Look, a hosting volunteer!

Thanks, Kintobor! I appreciate that a lot.

I've had an idea for a game recently, but I'll gladly wait for Kintobor to host. Also, while I do like the anonymous games, I wouldn't host one.

Thank you all for an entertaining, fun and almost friendly game of Mafia. Without PM, it was more fun and easier to try and figure out what was going on from the great beyond. I would probably also have thought that there were 2 mafia left on the last day, if I did not have the setup in the dead board. I am grateful for the experience.

Impressive play all over. Congratulation to everyone.

I am Sir Stig btw. Now signing off from the Cleo Cow account.

Edited by Cleo Cow

Thank you Hinckley for the awesome hosting of Forest Mafia 3. Your photos made this whole experience very indulging. For me, it was a short lived but yet enjoyable mafia experience. Perhaps, I am much rusty than before and need to get a few more games coming to dust my engine. Unfortunately I am unable to survive beyond Night 1, due to the Croc aiming me as a kill... Other than that, I had to said that I made a little bit of mistake in my role playing which somehow resulted me in the large target board on my back. Nonetheless, it was fun. 

Oh well, I am Braxton the Bear! :sweet: 

It was a great game and I was rooting for the townie even though I was gone. Past few days were intense and thank you for the fun and incredible mafia experience. 

22 hours ago, Bob said:

I’ll rephrase what I said because even though we argue a lot in every mafia game we play in, I think you’re a good friend to me. I wasn’t calling you out specifically when I said certain people, quite a number of people were upset at the mechanics of Pirates. Even jamesn expressed his concerns about a shitstorm brewing when the game was over when people found out about things such like the recruit and double scum night action. It might not look it, but I do understand your position very well. I like trying new things and experimenting with every mafia game I host, but I also take feedback from the players in the previous game, which is why I’ll be fixing a lot of the concerns people had and clarifying things in the rules. 

We’re all good, no worries :sweet: 

I came back and played your game, had fun, but now that spring vacation has ended, I'm really swamped with work till August, when I’ll be swamped from a family vacation, then back to work.  Mafia is about number six on my list to do, so that Pirates game is looking like a one off.  Until I quit my day job at least!

22 hours ago, Kintobor said:

15 hours ago, KotZ said:

I've had an idea for a game recently, but I'll gladly wait for Kintobor to host. Also, while I do like the anonymous games, I wouldn't host one.

There's no one lined up at the moment, so feel free to jump in and let Draggy know your plans.  While I like the anonymous games, I'm not particularly partial to one or the other.

Not as quickly as I planned to come back, but these things happen. 

Hinckley, thank you so much for such a wonderful game. It was beautiful and hilarious and I am always smitten by them. I loved the hilarious cutscenes and titles with "secret" information that still didn't change the game. Your hosting is always excellent, thank you so much for all that you do. :wub: 

On 5/17/2019 at 9:41 PM, mediumsnowman said:

I also have a confession to make. I’m a high school senior, and I won’t turn 18 until next week, yet I’ve been active on Eurobricks for years. I’ve even hosted two mafia games. I haven’t been as active over the last year, I skipped out on Kintober’s game, and I haven’t MOC’d anything in a long time. Between my part-time job, school, sports, applying to colleges, and the general stress that comes with all the loose ends that have to tied up to finish up high school my time has been extremely limited.

I got accepted to dual study bioengineering and pre-medicine at a school in Texas, and I will be moving there next year, but there’s a lot of stress and cost that is associated with that transition, and these last few weeks have been particularly frustrating in that arena. Add in finals and missing an entire week of class to take AP tests, and you have a recipe for disaster. I fear I may have misdirected some of that pent-up frustration into this game, especially at Haydn’s perceived obstinance, and for that I am very sorry.

You are mature, that's what matters, not your age right now. You're a good player and you played well. Even good players get frustrated and drawn into the mafia experience, what takes real maturity is to recognise where you got frustrated and apologise as you have. It looks like you have the right temperament for the courses you'll be taking. 

I hope you'll return to playing mafia when you're ready.

On 5/17/2019 at 10:04 PM, Chromeknight said:

Buh-bye h-hippo. I'll miss you!

first, grats to the Hellionz and to Whitby.

to the townies, that one is on me, sorry.

You played incredibly well, and I agree with Bob that I can see exactly why you made the choices you did. I really don't think you should berate yourself like this, it's not on you. I think you're a great player, for what it's worth.

5 hours ago, WhiteFang said:

I also have a confession to make. I’m a high school senior, and I won’t turn 18 until next week, yet I’ve been active on Eurobricks for years. I’ve even hosted two mafia games. I haven’t been as active over the last year, I skipped out on Kintober’s game, and I haven’t MOC’d anything in a long time. Between my part-time job, school, sports, applying to colleges, and the general stress that comes with all the loose ends that have to tied up to finish up high school my time has been extremely limited.

Oh Fangy, this makes me so sad, as I am largely responsible for your death. :cry_sad:

I really did think you were scum, though, and I got that very wrong. 

I really enjoyed playing scum in this game, because it's fun to be scum (sometimes) but we also got to do some scum-hunting ourselves, with decidedly mixed results! :laugh:  The anonymous set up was an absolute revelation for me. It's not as if I haven't played it before, but with signing up privately I felt immune to metagaming. The temptation (for me, at least) is to try to match the people signed up with with the characters, and often you get it right, so it's not necessarily that anonymous anymore. I would much rather play anonymous games, and I'm tempted to suggest that they become the norm, really. 

A note on scum having two final actions; I always considered that factional abilities were swapped around and designated abilities were not. So with this game, our day block and kill could be swapped around, they were factional, so it was only right that the last member of the faction have access to all of them, and I assume the same was true for the monsters.

In a scum team of 1)Blocker, 2)Rolecop, 3)Goon, 4)Goon, 5)Goon with a factional kill (usually performed by the Goons) then when left with only 1) they can block and kill, only 2) they can rolecop and kill, and when left with just a Goon, they can only kill. I believe this is standard.

Oh, and I'm happy to post the Hellions board. :thumbup: 

Work and life exploded right after I got the conclusion up, so great timing, everyone!

OK, without further ado, here are the role PMs, writeboards and notes from me:

Character: Cleo Cow (Sir Stig)

Affiliation: Villager (Town)

Role: Your weapon is your vote, you have no night actions.

Character: Braxton Bear (WhiteFang)

Character: Myrtle Monkey (KotZ)

Role: Each Day phase, you may brew one of three potions and give it to another living player. (Inventor)

You have enough ingredients to make the following potions:

• 4 shield potions (one-shot protector)
  • 3 immobility potions (one-shot blocker)
  • 1 death draft (one-shot kill–takes three days to brew correctly, can only be given away on Day Four or later)

You may target yourself on Day One or Day Five.

The shield potion can be self-targeted.

Win Condition: You win when all threats to the Villagers have been eliminated.

Character: Pascha Poodle (mostlytechnic)

Character: Pierot Parrot (jimmynick)

Role: You are an Anti-Monster Mason along with your partner (Whitby Walrus). During the night phase you may talk with your partner here:

Anti-Monster Mason Board: https://123.writeboard.com/zhj3egpzkxhsyc0ooeyc6qh3

Password: rainlux52

You know that Whitby is not aligned with the Monsters and he knows that you are not aligned with the Monsters. At night you may attempt to recruit one other player. If that player is not aligned with the Monsters, they will become a Recruited Mason. If the player you target is aligned with the Monsters, you will fail. If that player is another type of Mason, you will fail. You will also fail if you are blocked. You may continue to recruit until you have added one (1) member to the Anti-Monster Masons. There can only be three (3) members in the Anti-Monster Masons, including dead players. Any player not aligned with the Monsters can be recruited.

Character: Huxley Horse (DannyLongLegs)

Affiliation: Monster (Scum)

Role: Each night phase, one of you or your partner (Brewer Bunny) may perform the factional kill. The other partner may perform a block. (Killer/Blocker) During the night phase you may talk with your partner here:

Scum Monsters board: https://123.writeboard.com/gb7yq4aw6bqxkabsa5tf4cno

Password: m0Nster5!

Win Condition: You win when the Hellions are eliminated and you control 50% of the Villagers or nothing can prevent this from occurring.

Character: Ronan Rabbit (Kristel)

Role: Each Night Phase, you may target one player. In the morning you will be told who, if anyone, that player targeted. (Tracker)

Character: Gracie Goat (Pandora)

Affiliation: Hellion (Scum)

Role: Each night phase, one of you or your partners (Caldwell Crocodile and Whitby Walrus) may perform the factional kill. The other partner may perform a day block. (Killer/Day Blocker) During the night phase you may talk with your partner here:

Scum Hellions board: https://123.writeboard.com/v2jajhr972fxb0gx8wclkmpl

Password: scum3p4nts

Win Condition: You win when the Monsters are eliminated and you control 50% of the Villagers or nothing can prevent this from occurring.

Character: Caldwell Crocodile (Trekkie9)

Affiliation: Hellion (Scum)

Role: Each night phase, one of you or your partners (Whitby Walrus and Gracie Goat) may perform the factional kill. The other partner may perform a day block. (Killer/Day Blocker) During the night phase you may talk with your partner here:

Win Condition: You win when the Monsters are eliminated and you control 50% of the Villagers or nothing can prevent this from occurring.

Character: Leevi Lion (fhomess)

Character: Brewer Bunny (Khscarymovie4)

Affiliation: Monster (Scum)

Role: Each night phase, one of you or your partner (Huxley Horse) may perform the factional kill. The other partner may perform a block. (Killer/Blocker) During the night phase you may talk with your partner here:

Scum Monsters board: https://123.writeboard.com/gb7yq4aw6bqxkabsa5tf4cno

Password: m0Nster5!

Win Condition: You win when the Hellions are eliminated and you control 50% of the Villagers or nothing can prevent this from occurring.

Character: Ember Elephant (Bob)

Role: You are an Anti-Hellion Mason along with your partner (Bennett Bulldog). During the night phase you may talk with your partner here:

Anti-Hellion Mason Board: https://123.writeboard.com/af8nlqcru3mepvs0gbx0nto9

Password: insuedu67

You know that Bennett is not aligned with the Hellions and he knows that you are not aligned with the Hellions. At night you may attempt to recruit one other player. If that player is not aligned with the Hellions, they will become a Recruited Mason. If the player you target is aligned with the Hellions, you will fail. If that player is another type of Mason, you will fail. You will also fail if you are blocked. You may continue to recruit until you have added one (1) member to the Anti-Hellion Masons. There can only be three (3) members in the Anti-Hellion Masons, including dead players. Any player not aligned with the Hellions can be recruited.

Character: Whitby Walrus (Tariq J)

Affiliation: Hellion (Scum) Goon

Role: Each night phase, one of you or your partners (Caldwell Crocodile and Gracie Goat) may perform the factional kill. The other partner may perform a day block. (Killer/Day Blocker) During the night phase you may talk with your partner here:

Additionally, you are an Anti-Monster Mason along with your partner (Pierot Parrot). During the night phase you may talk with your partner here:

You know that Pierot is not aligned with the Monsters and he knows that you are not aligned with the Monsters. At night you may attempt to recruit one other player. If that player is not aligned with the Monsters, they will become a Recruited Mason. If the player you target is aligned with the Monsters, you will fail. If that player is another type of Mason, you will fail. You will also fail if you are blocked. You may continue to recruit until you have added one (1) member to the Anti-Monster Masons. There can only be three (3) members in the Anti-Monster Masons, including dead players. Any player not aligned with the Monsters can be recruited.

Character: Bennett Bulldog (mediumsnowman)

Role: You are an Anti-Hellion Mason along with your partner (Ember Elephant). During the night phase you may talk with your partner here:

You know that Ember is not aligned with the Hellions and he knows that you are not aligned with the Hellions. At night you may attempt to recruit one other player. If that player is not aligned with the Hellions, they will become a Recruited Mason. If the player you target is aligned with the Hellions, you will fail. If that player is another type of Mason, you will fail. You will also fail if you are blocked. You may continue to recruit until you have added one (1) member to the Anti-Hellion Masons. There can only be three (3) members in the Anti-Hellion Masons, including dead players. Any player not aligned with the Hellions can be recruited.

Character: Haydn Hippo (Chromeknight)

And the two Mason recruits:

Ronan Rabbit (Kristel)

Additionally, You have been recruited to the Anti-Hellion Masonry along with your partners (Bennett Bulldog & Ember Elephant). During the night phase you may talk with your partners here:

You know that Bennett and Ember are not aligned with the Hellions and they know that you are not aligned with the Hellions. They have recruited you making you the Recruited Mason. There can only be three (3) members in the Anti-Hellion Masons, including dead players. Any player not aligned with the Hellions can be recruited.

And Caldwell Crocodile (Trekkie99)

Additionally, you have been recruited into the Anti-Monster Masonry along with your partners (Pierot Parrot & Whitby Walrus). During the night phase you may talk with your partner here:

You know that Pierot and Whitby are not aligned with the Monsters and they know that you are not aligned with the Monsters. They have recruited you, making you the Recruited Mason. There can only be three (3) members in the Anti-Monster Masons, including dead players. Any player not aligned with the Monsters can be recruited.

OK, general notes from the game!

My overall takeaway from the game that it was a ton of fun to host and a joy to have you specific people play the game. I've had some calm games, but I've also had the majority of my games be interrupted by personality conflicts, host attacks, arguments, gauntlets, bitter feuds, etc. Everybody had a really positive attitude, which includes everyone who was frustrated in the game setup when they learned the mechanics. :blush: Soooowwyyyyyyy!!!!!

Regarding the setup, I really did want to base this on a tested set of mechanics and that is why I searched Mafiawiki for a tested setup. I assumed it would be a smaller game since activity here seems to have dropped off a bit and I know I've had trouble setting a fair balance in the past. I also didn't want it to be so basic that it was just killer, investigator, protector. So I found Masons and Monks which is set up for 13 people. I ended up getting 15 people to play so I added one Scum and one Town. I tried to strike a balance between the Scum teams by giving the smaller team the ability to block. I also added a Tracker so that the Town would have something besides the masonries and then added the inventor because I thought they deserved the chance to get some activity going. I feel, especially in an anonymous game, that the Town has a disadvantage from the closed setup. Most setups on Mafiawiki are open or semi-open. The Inventor was my way of balancing that perceived disadvantage.

On the masonries, wow! This was a cool mechanic, in my opinion. It wasn't utilized to great lengths but it certainly caused some action and info. It was clear to me immediately that the danger in the setup, that the Town needed to be wary of, was the fact that Scum could be in either masonry. Anything either masonry offered was only the guarantee that the members weren't on one of the Scum teams. I thought it was really cool that I drew Whitby Walrus (Tariq J) to be in the Anti–Monster Masons. I know Pierot Parrot (jimmynick) didn't appreciate it much, but it was a clear demonstration of the concept of the game. Perhaps it's more "fair" to draw from only the Town members, but that wasn't how I read the setup. Would I have let two Hellions be the Anti–Monster Masons? Probably not. Imagine the power that would've given the Hellions if they were able to recruit a Townie into the Masonry and seem like they were on the level. I feel like I was hoping so much that there would be a Scum member in one of the masonries, I wonder if I would've accepted drawing all Townies. Admittedly, Whitby was the last name I drew for the masonries. I'd like to think I would've let the cups speak and be final since this is the new Hinckley-host who doesn't meddle. :blush:

The game would've gone way differently if Pierot had sent in the recruitment Action on Night One, instead of Whitby, because Pierot was blocked. If Pierot had tried to recruit Caldwell and it had been unsuccessful, I think Whitby and the Hellions would've had a much more difficult game. When I watched Whitby tell the Hellions writeboard that Pierot had suggested Caldwell, one phrase came to mind: putting all of your Scum in one basket. You never want to involve multiple Scum in a behind-the-scenes lie. If you get caught, everybody gets caught. That aside, I believe Pierot would've wanted to test the result by accusing Caldwell and Whitby might have resisted which would have caused all sorts of tension and mistrust, potentially. Also, it would've cause quite a bit of confusion if Pierot thought the unsuccessful result was an indication that Caldwell was a Monster, but then if Caldwell got lynched and turned up a Hellion...

I have to get back to work! I have a lot more to share but will do so in subsequent posts this weekend. I want to wrap this up before Kintobor's game starts. In the meantime, if anybody talks to @mostlytechnic ask him to stop by and share his opinion on the game. He hasn't responded to any of my messages and never checked in on the writeboard. I'm afraid he's mad at me. :cry_sad:

I'm mostly joking...mostly... :look:  but as the writeboard knows, sometimes I'm needy. Which is why Sundra asks, "Are you guys mad at me?" after everyone reacts to her biting Caldwell's head off. :laugh: That was a little shout-out to the writeboard for putting up with me being emotionally needy. :blush: