On the outskirts of Shinmizu village...

46954021135_4dbe74ec53_z.jpg

...Guy o' the Wynd plies his scythe as usual... 

Terraces%20%282%29.jpg

...not knowing that his life is soon to be turned upside down...

Terraces%20%283%29.jpg

Or not so soon.  Whenever I get around to the next build. :wink:

I tried a pink sky before deciding to go with the blue one... then I changed my mind.Terraces, Pink (2).jpg

C&C welcome!  Feels good to have a build for GoH again!  And if you're interested in seeing behind the scenes of this build, and a few more pictures with the pink sky, check out the post on my blog.

Edited by Kai NRG

Nicely done, Kai, that rice looks great, and the winding terraces are excellent as well - the splitting one in particular! :classic:  I do agree that the blue is better, but the higher pictures of the pink on your blog look pretty nice too :thumbup:  Looking forward to more of your story whenever you get around to it :laugh:

Fantastic forced perspective! The camera angle really embeds you into the scene.

A couple of photography points - the shot with the blue background could be doing with less depth of field, you can still make out detail in the background. You did a great job of getting the fig in focus though!

Secondly, I really love the pink background. But normally this sky appears at dawn or dusk, so I think having more subdued lighting here would help make this more believable.

Overall though it's a terrific build!

Lovely pics! The ricefields and walls are beautiful, adding the mountains and clouds really makes this excellent 

That is a really effective way of doing the rice paddies. The torso - is that the one from the goblin, with the green skin? If so, that's a nice way of covering up the green bit!

Nice one Kai, I really like the pink alternative too :)

Thanks everyone! 

On 5/18/2019 at 4:48 AM, Basiliscus said:

Fantastic forced perspective! The camera angle really embeds you into the scene.

A couple of photography points - the shot with the blue background could be doing with less depth of field, you can still make out detail in the background. You did a great job of getting the fig in focus though!

Secondly, I really love the pink background. But normally this sky appears at dawn or dusk, so I think having more subdued lighting here would help make this more believable.

Overall though it's a terrific build!

Thanks for the tips!  I'm not good at knowing how to tweak the depth of field, but I should probably learn better for moments like these!  The subdued lighting is a good idea that could definitely have helped with that, I'll keep it in mind for next time - I do have a quantity of pink bricks that I've been feeling bad about never using! :laugh:

9 hours ago, MAB said:

That is a really effective way of doing the rice paddies. The torso - is that the one from the goblin, with the green skin? If so, that's a nice way of covering up the green bit!

Thank you!  Yes, that's from the goblin - I really like the print, so I'm always looking out for ways to hide the green skin. :tongue:

I think I can borrow and modify your technique when I build my own rice fields. :tongue:  This is such an effective way to make sweeping curves and enclosures for those rice paddy saplings.

Excellent build!  I like the use of the out of focus background.  It looks really good.  The wall is outstanding, and the grass stalks are awesome.  I didn't even notice the light trans blue the first look, and yet it makes the grass seem very full.  Really well done.  I didn't know that Lego made a sickle.  Is that a new piece?  It's great for farming!

That's such a beautiful MOC!

I love how watery the field is, and specially how the walls are carefully made, not following only one pattern, but having different pieces all the way through. It certainly adds a bunch to the aspect of the construction. 
The mountains in the background are splendid, and the clouds are really well done. Awesome forced perspective here. 
And I simply love the pinkish-afternoon alternative. It is very unusual to see those colors in use, but you nailed it perfectly. 

Awesome job! Very creative. 

On 5/21/2019 at 8:44 PM, makoy said:

I think I can borrow and modify your technique when I build my own rice fields. :tongue:  This is such an effective way to make sweeping curves and enclosures for those rice paddy saplings.

Borrow away!  I love this low wall technique and it works great for rice paddies!

On 5/21/2019 at 11:15 PM, Grover said:

Excellent build!  I like the use of the out of focus background.  It looks really good.  The wall is outstanding, and the grass stalks are awesome.  I didn't even notice the light trans blue the first look, and yet it makes the grass seem very full.  Really well done.  I didn't know that Lego made a sickle.  Is that a new piece?  It's great for farming!

Thanks Grover!  The sickle is fairly new, it comes in a pack with several other weapons in several Ninjago sets, including some of the Dragon Hunter sets from last year and now in gold in the Legacy sets.

1 hour ago, Louis of Nutwood said:

That's such a beautiful MOC!

I love how watery the field is, and specially how the walls are carefully made, not following only one pattern, but having different pieces all the way through. It certainly adds a bunch to the aspect of the construction. 
The mountains in the background are splendid, and the clouds are really well done. Awesome forced perspective here. 
And I simply love the pinkish-afternoon alternative. It is very unusual to see those colors in use, but you nailed it perfectly. 

Awesome job! Very creative. 

Thank you!  I plan to keep experimenting with sunset backgrounds and hone my field scene skills...

Really like this one, great perspective and love that you made the background brick-built as well :excited:

On 5/31/2019 at 1:11 PM, adde51 said:

Really like this one, great perspective and love that you made the background brick-built as well :excited:

Thanks adde!  This is one of my best brickbuilt skies for sure, turned out better than I could have expected so maybe I'll do more in the future!

I love your ride paddies technique :wub: The loose trans blue studs look so cool piled among the grass!
Fabulous stonewalls as well with their various curves making the scene so much more convincing. And lastly the FP backdrop is one of the better ones I've seen, fabulous clouds :thumbup:

2 hours ago, soccerkid6 said:

I love your ride paddies technique :wub: The loose trans blue studs look so cool piled among the grass!
Fabulous stonewalls as well with their various curves making the scene so much more convincing. And lastly the FP backdrop is one of the better ones I've seen, fabulous clouds :thumbup:

Thanks SK!  Curves were my favorite part.  I need more dark grey pizza tiles. :grin:

50 minutes ago, Eoin Wallace said:

Wow, that is awesome! I especially like the clouds and the little stone wall. :sweet:

Thank you!  Clouds are sometimes hit-or-miss but these turned out nice and fluffy!

Really nice perspective here, together with the immersive shot :classic: I think the pink sky works pretty well, though it totally changes the atmosphere. I guess it depends on what you wanted to convey, which in turn makes me even more curious about what tomorrow will bring to our Guy o' the Wynd... :thumbup:

5 hours ago, en_zoo said:

Really nice perspective here, together with the immersive shot :classic: I think the pink sky works pretty well, though it totally changes the atmosphere. I guess it depends on what you wanted to convey, which in turn makes me even more curious about what tomorrow will bring to our Guy o' the Wynd... :thumbup:

Thanks en_zoo!  Actually, I wasn't thinking about the story mood at all when I decided where the sun should be in the sky.  In that sense the sunset might be better because it conveys the end-of-the-old life which I am building toward.  You've given me something to think about though as far as looking at story MOCs in the context of their broader stories instead of just what works best for the one single MOC.  Hmm! 
Here's hoping the next installment will make it in time to be part of the Summer Joust!