1 minute ago, Mechbuilds said:

Smart people search from whom they're buying from.. If we make threads titled this guy and talk crap about him, maybe it'll bring awareness. 

Sometimes it's difficult to see if somebody that's use many different names and forms, how you can trust in the first side. I got some good friends that have sold their designs and/ore with instructions to some clone brand and got very nice their first payment from that

company and they send in more of their designs to them. the next follow payments where never done and they can do everything with the designs they wanted. so for everybody don't trust people at their blue eyes.:wink:

1 hour ago, Maaboo35 said:

Tch. That deludenoid is selling his 8860 Evolution "book" for $55.45. Amazingly, only zero were ever purchased... :hmpf:

Have you seen the other book that he is selling?

Spoiler

Life in troll-land

Sometimes reality just can't be beaten :laugh:

2 hours ago, Maaboo35 said:

Tch. That deludenoid is selling his 8860 Evolution "book" for $55.45. Amazingly, only zero were ever purchased... :hmpf:

Yep and glad that the loser have never sold any of his books, and makes a big miss use of a render from my very close good friend for the frontpage of his book. My friend give him only permission to use the render for private use only and not to make things public. Also it's a complete copy of Paul Boratko's design. I only wanted warn you guy's as people like him and he is not the only one. 98% of us are fans, but only the 2% will spoiled our plesure. Here you can see that's it's a full copy of Paul Boratko design.

Helge design (uuuhhhccchh not)

46978239645_e8079d65b7.jpg41yZDd5KyyL by VFracingteam, on Flickr

Paul Boratko design is the original.

46978250535_e8f1de884c_z.jpg27704371230_90d6bed34d_c by VFracingteam, on Flickr

The only thing that's different is the tyre.

Edited by Edwin Korstanje

Regarding IP, I do not consider myself an expert and admittedly some comparisons are a bit like apples and oranges. Nonetheless they are all IP related and as someone with a product design background and as a teacher at a university I do believe that I have learned a thing or two over the years. So here is what I understand. IP contains several different aspects, among others:

1. Copyright: this includes creative works like written works, paintings, photos, and music (building instructions could also be considered part of this). In such cases the intellectual owner/ artist should be contacted and asked for permission to use the creative work. And although the right to copy can be agreed upon with the owner, the owner can still decide how the materials should be used, unless specifically stated otherwise (like on Ideas). In some cases fair use is applicable, but then the purpose should be educational or for the common good (shared for free). Copyright lasts a lifetime or longer. 
  2. Patents: this part takes care of technological inventions. Patents can be national, continental or world wide. You need to apply for a patent, and it takes time and money to get it approved. The LEGO brick and configuration were patented (worldwide), but this has expired and cannot be renewed, so other players can enter the market with similar bricks. Note that this has nothing to do with the designs that builders come up with. You could compare it with paint, the artist has the rights for a painting (copyright), the company that produces the paint on the substances the paint consists of (if they have a specific patent).
  3. Trademark: this handles the protection of (brand) names. Often trademarks are used to make sure that others will not take advantage of a renown brand either commercially or financially. We know that we are not allowed to use the word LEGO in a webdomain because this might hurt the company name and/ or lead to financial loss. Same applies when we connect one of our designs to a car brand, like Ferrari, Lamborghini, or to the Star Wars universe. Basically we need a license when we connect a brand to our "product", the approval of the company, whether this is a direct copy, toy, cloths and fashion, etc. Trademarks can and often are renewed.
  4. Industrial designs: this protects a combination of forms and shapes (either 3D or 2D/ logos) that make a product distinguishable and unique. Again we can look at cars like Porsche, Lamborghini, McLaren, Ferrari that have unique features and characteristics that make them recognizable and stand out. Industrial design protection often last for 20 - 25 years and just like trademarks can be applied to other product categories like toys and clothes.
  5. Characters: this is a bit of a special subject, but some characters have become such icons with specific features that they can be protected. Superheroes come to mind, like Spiderman, Superman and Batman, or videogames characters like Mario and Sonic. Also here approval in the form of a license is needed from the company that owns the characters. In this case Marvel, DC Comics, Nintendo and Sega.

All of these are applicable when it comes to commercial/ financial gain, doesn't matter if it's a small amount that isn't profitable or not; it's benefiting on someone else's property. If you want to read more this might be some good sites to begin with:

https://www.wipo.int/about-ip/en/

https://trademarks.justia.com/

http://www.ivanhoffman.com/characters.html

Edited by NKubate

14 minutes ago, NKubate said:

Regarding IP, I do not consider myself an expert and admittedly some comparisons are a bit like apples and oranges. Nonetheless they are all IP related and as someone with a product design background and as a teacher at a university I do believe that I have learned a thing or two over the years. So here is what I understand. IP contains several different aspects, among others:

Your enumeration is right: This is the world of IP.

However: When you decide to venture into that world: Don't use the internet, e.g. this forum, to showcase. When you do it, it is violating any IP related things. A post or picture, within the public - kills your IP rights. It is so easy: >Don't< publish anything with regard to your idea/model.

And this is exactly my point: Doing that (which is the whole contrast of what EB wants to be) eliminates sharing.

All the best,
Thorsten   

31 minutes ago, NKubate said:

1. Copyright: this includes creative works like written works, paintings, photos, and music (building instructions could also be considered part of this). In such cases the intellectual owner/ artist should be contacted and asked for permission to use the creative work. And although the right to copy can be agreed upon with the owner, the owner can still decide how the materials should be used, unless specifically stated otherwise (like on Ideas). In some cases fair use is applicable, but then the purpose should be educational or for the common good (shared for free). Copyright lasts a lifetime or longer. 
  2. Patents: this part takes care of technological inventions. Patents can be national, continental or world wide. You need to apply for a patent, and it takes time and money to get it approved. The LEGO brick and configuration were patented (worldwide), but this has expired and cannot be renewed, so other players can enter the market with similar bricks. Note that this has nothing to do with the designs that builders come up with. You could compare it with paint, the artist has the rights for a painting (copyright), the company that produces the paint on the substances the paint consists of (if they have a specific patent).
  3. Trademark: this handles the protection of (brand) names. Often trademarks are used to make sure that others will not take advantage of a renown brand either commercially or financially. We know that we are not allowed to use the word LEGO in a webdomain because this might hurt the company name and/ or lead to financial loss. Same applies when we connect one of our designs to a car brand, like Ferrari, Lamborghini, or to the Star Wars universe. Basically we need a license when we connect a brand to our "product", the approval of the company, whether this is a direct copy, toy, cloths and fashion, etc. Trademarks can and often are renewed.
  4. Industrial designs: this protects a combination of forms and shapes (either 3D or 2D/ logos) that make a product distinguishable and unique. Again we can look at cars like Porsche, Lamborghini, McLaren, Ferrari that have unique features and characteristics that make them recognizable and stand out. Industrial design protection often last for 20 - 25 years and just like trademarks can be applied to other product categories like toys and clothes.
  5. Characters: this is a bit of a special subject, but some characters have become such icons with specific features that they can be protected. Superheroes come to mind, like Spiderman, Superman and Batman, or videogames characters like Mario and Sonic. Also here approval in the form of a license is needed from the company that owns the characters. In this case Marvel, DC Comics, Nintendo and Sega.

All of these are applicable when it comes to commercial/ financial gain, doesn't matter if it's a small amount that isn't profitable or not; it's benefiting on someone else's property. If you want to read more this might be some good sites to begin with:

https://www.wipo.int/about-ip/en/

https://trademarks.justia.com/

http://www.ivanhoffman.com/characters.html

Amen to that @NKubate.

Hello  @Jeroen Ottens

I had also the same add on my facebook wall. I put some comments about this Under the add, which got deleted quite fast and I got blocked, not being able to add anymore comments.

I have then reported this add to Facebook, and received today this:

60615745_10162070652460457_4629682816160

It's in french, but you understand from the title. "We have removed this add …" .

There is some justice after all :)

Edited by wissamms

7 hours ago, Jeroen Ottens said:

Have you seen the other book that he is selling?

Hide contents

Life in troll-land

Sometimes reality just can't be beaten :laugh:

Life can be hard in troll-land. But that's nice of him to release hes autobiography. 

15 hours ago, wissamms said:

Hello  @Jeroen Ottens

I had also the same add on my facebook wall. I put some comments about this Under the add, which got deleted quite fast and I got blocked, not being able to add anymore comments.

I have then reported this add to Facebook, and received today this:

It's in french, but you understand from the title. "We have removed this add …" .

There is some justice after all :)

The only success you have , is that you get no add of vonado !

I see it just now on FB.

I don't really want to get into this topic, but I think it is worth mention the importance to investigate the other side of the coin as well.

I just checked the YT chanel of Helge (20 second google task, really). Honestly, I think You should just ignore him, whatever how bugging he is, to me it seems like he has some mental difference, so he actually might not be able to realize the emotional or moral impact of his activity. Not to mention, what real harm he has done? I don't think he is the real LEGO criminal, who must be digitally stoned here. Case should be closed in my opinion.

Anyhow, get rid off the steam and high blood pressure in this topic, keep on building for fun, innovation and creativity will be always ahead of thieves! :wink:

Edited by agrof