legoSDR

Mature Themes We'd Like to See (discussion, rumour, wishful thinking)

I just really want lego game of thrones, I already know some scenes/locations that would make great sets. But I highly doubt we'll ever get them. I don't know anything about stranger things, but it looks like a show about some kids having some nostalgic 90s like adventures with some monsters in the mix, which doesn't sound too mature. While got on the other hand is often described simply as dragons, zombies, sex and dead, really doesn't sound child friendly.

For a mature theme could still become a theme I might say the Avatar movies (blue people, although they could give the airbender a second shot as well) when they return around 2021.

I want My Hero Academia. It is probably extremely unlikely but it could be a really fun theme and could be doable under LEGO's current standards. Characters with overtly sexual costumes like Yaoyorozu and can be represented by having her simply wear her UA uniform and Lady Midnight can simply be omitted from the line. I already have been brainstorming ideas for it, even if it is extremely unlikely.

Maybe a big lebowski set? The dude his car, the key figures and a bowling center?

On 5/10/2019 at 11:54 PM, Ultron said:

As far as I'm aware Mega Construx is developing a Game of Thrones theme so...

But I'd definitely like an Elder Scrolls or Fallout series. 

I'd LOVE a Fallout series, but with its very... lenient... views on the inclusion of drugs, Sex and child slavery and gruesome themes, I sincerely doubt we'd ever get it.

I could genuinely see Elder Scrolls happening though, most of the "drugs" in that series could be explained as illegal alcohol or the fantasy equivalent of Moonshine, It would also work pretty perfectly in Lego form, with Dragon builds, all the architecture and the potions mostly already existing as Lego pieces.

On 5/15/2019 at 2:55 AM, Borex said:

Maybe a big lebowski set? The dude his car, the key figures and a bowling center?

Minifigs of Maude and the Nihilists? Sign me up, heh. While I'm thinking of LEGO pipe dreams,  I'm so down for a Cobra Kai set.

On 5/15/2019 at 8:55 AM, Borex said:

And a nice rug to tie the room together.

¡El laberinto del fauno!  :devil:

Or honestly any non-English language theme.  I think that would be really interesting, and (sadly) a distinct challenge.  

I’m sure there have been a few examples of licenses that were originally not in the English language, but I cannot think of any offhand.  

Warcraft and Diablo licenses from Blizzard would work great to replace Fantasy Era Castle, while Starcraft would be an awesome alternative to Star Wars junk. All three games feature demons or demon-like creatures, sacrifice, blood and gore galore, so they would seem to be against TLG's brand image, but TLG doesn't give a rat's megablocks about its brand image anymore anyhow.

EDIT: oh wow, the common word for human posterior is censored on Eurobricks? How very... American.

Edited by Sammael

Alien(s): I believe Mega Construx currently has the license but I'd still like to see this one happen one day. I'd mostly be interested in sets based on the first two films, but there's plenty of other options to pick from beyond that. I don't think there's as much potential for a stand alone Predator theme but it could easily crossover into an Alien one.

Terminator: Doesn't really need a full theme. I'd be happy with just a display piece of the Terminator Endoskeleton or any of the machines seen in the future battle sequences. Could throw in minifigures of the main T1/T2 characters on a small display stand.

James Bond: Would love to see anything from the classic movies all the way up to the modern ones. They've already released one set with the license so it's not outside of the realm of possibility for more. They've also had a solid history with several generic spy themes in the past. Imagine the set possibilities with 24 (soon to be 25) films to pick from? Anything that isn't considered child friendly like Pussy Galore can easily be excluded from the products.

The X-Files: The fact that Ideas is now accepting submissions is a good sign the show is no longer considered off-limits for its maturity level. I'd like to see them do something similar to Friends/Big Bang Theory with a stand alone location set based on the X-Files office.

Return to Oz: Not really mature but still considered a somewhat dark film. We've already gotten minifigures from the original Wizard of Oz movie and with Disney holding the rights to Return to Oz, it would be nice to eventually see other Oz characters like Jack Pumpkinhead, Tik Tok, Ozma, Mombi, Wheelers and the Nome King get released in some capacity.

It is too late now for the license / film tie in, but The Hunger Games. It could have given us some interesting minifigures, possibly the train and some nice forest vignettes. The movie ratings were 12 (at least in the UK), so sets could have been made aimed at teens while not appearing to be too offensive concerning violence. However, the content was fairly mature - I will not allow my kids to watch them even when they are 12.

On 5/18/2019 at 10:10 AM, wesker said:

Terminator: Doesn't really need a full theme. I'd be happy with just a display piece of the Terminator Endoskeleton or any of the machines seen in the future battle sequences. Could throw in minifigures of the main T1/T2 characters on a small display stand.

We DID get that reference in TLM2, I wouldn't mind that time-travel platform. Besides, Terminator is horror and uses guns but isn't really gory.

8 hours ago, astral brick said:

I would like to see a modern military aircraft line, starting with the F-14 Tomcat or the F-117 Nighthawk.

Yikes. Never gonna happen. Ole Kirk Christiansen was heavily anti-war. 

Edited by Alegrispa

5 hours ago, Alegrispa said:

I know, but we were talking about mature themes wishes, weren't we?

10 hours ago, Alegrispa said:

To be fair, what Ole Kirk Christiansen  cared about no longer matters.  It sounds callous, I know, but it’s true.  Times have changed, for good and for bad. 

THAT BEING SAID, yeah, modern war as a theme will never happen.  Imagine a kid whose city had been attacked by said aircraft, and then s/he sees it on the shelf of a toy store....

I guess it’s fair to post for a wishful thinking topic, but nothing that I personally would touch with a three-foot UCS Falcon (which I don’t own, BTW :laugh: )

5 hours ago, RogueTwo said:

THAT BEING SAID, yeah, modern war as a theme will never happen.  Imagine a kid whose city had been attacked by said aircraft, and then s/he sees it on the shelf of a toy store....

Many modern warfare models, kits, toys, etc are sold in toy stores.

942075-16559-37-720.jpg

I doubt that kid cares much about the branding. Is a LEGO Hawker Harrier any worse than an Airfix Hawker Harrier?

Edited by MAB

1 hour ago, MAB said:

Many modern warfare models, kits, toys, etc are sold in toy stores.

942075-16559-37-720.jpg

I doubt that kid cares much about the branding. Is a LEGO Hawker Harrier any worse than an Airfix Hawker Harrier?

Couldn’t say, as I’d never heard of of Airfix or a Hawker Harrier until you mentioned them.  :grin:

The latter may express my own ignorance, I don’t know.  Anyway, getting off topic, so I apologize.  

21 hours ago, Knight of Ren said:

Futurama :wub:

Absolutely this! If LEGO can do The Simpsons, then the same can happen to Futurama! That is, when Mega Construx loses the license one day.

On 5/18/2019 at 10:10 AM, wesker said:

The X-Files: The fact that Ideas is now accepting submissions is a good sign the show is no longer considered off-limits for its maturity level. I'd like to see them do something similar to Friends/Big Bang Theory with a stand alone location set based on the X-Files office.

I could see this as a real possibility. It's on a similar level to Stranger Things and has a big enough following.