Sign in to follow this  
achsu

Freightliner M2 112 Model

Looking to hire someone to build a Freightliner M2 112 model for a medical unit at a 1:12 scale. Can provide more details upon request. Please let me know if interested.

Do you have a budget and time frame in mind? What features do you want? Do you have a picture of the actual vehicle? I might be interested, I'd PM you, but you're a new member, so you'd have to make at least 10 good posts.

Hi.

I'm guessing you want something like this:

06977.JPG

To make this in 1:12 scale the closest you can come with the tires are the unimog tires from the 8810 Unimog, and they would make the model about 1:11 scale and very big! An estimated 37 studs tall and 90 studs in length.

Going down to the standard truck tire used in the 8258 crane truck among others, you will end up with a scale of 1:16,7. This will still make the model about 25 studs tall, and about 60 studs in length.  

Building in the 1:16,7 scale is a lot cheaper, but can also be harder if details are a priority. However if functionality and RC is required this is the scale I would go for. The model in this scale would be around 8 inch tall and around 20 inch in length. 

The 1:11 scale will allow for a lot more details, but the weight will somewhat limit functionality. There will however be room to make steering, suspention, engine and other fuctions very detailed. I would however not recommend making it RC, but a lot of other functions could be motorized. The model in this scale would be around 11.6 inch tall and around 28 inch in lenght.

There are some other rare tires that could be used, but they would make the model a lot more expensive, and non of them fit well with 1:12 scale, but could get closer to 1:15 scale. There is also the option of using non lego tires, but that again depends on what is wanted from the model.

It would also be nice if you could tell us what level of detail and functionality you want. Should it be pure lego, should it include some 3rd party pieces like tires, RC/Bluetooth etc, should it be motorized, have motorized functions? And last and most important, what build style do you want? I mostly build pure Technic models with very realistic functions, but I do not make bodywork form system parts. I often include RC and motorized functions, and want things like steering angles and suspensions to be realistic, and I'm open to use some 3rd party solutions where lego is lacking (mostly tires and control systems). 

Unfortunately I do not have a lot of my models online, but this forklift from a few years back shows of my style quite well. Linde 3 ton forklift.

-ED-

Edited by Nazgarot

The model is for a medical unit we are building. We are looking for someone in North America because of shipping considerations. Has anyone had any experience with that on something this size or any suggestions?

Is 1:11 the better scale to go with so we can get parts availability and detail? We do want to make it motorized and RC, but should have a lot of space in the body we are going to put on it so that should not be a problem.

We are not familiar with the Lego RC capabilities, are they compatible with other RC units or do they have their own proprietary connectors, etc?

I’ve attached an image which shows what the cab should look like.

Edited by achsu

Would be great to have it complete by the end of September. 

I also would suggest getting a ballpark figure on cost, as the size and features you would like, will make this truck very expensive, in my opinion anyway. I would hate to see someone put forth all that effort and expense just to have the customer drop dead when seeing the price tag. Parts alone should prove to be rather costly, then the time and effort which is rarely properly compensated for. Thankfully most builders are quite fair when it comes to time invested. 

11 hours ago, achsu said:

The model is for a medical unit we are building. We are looking for someone in North America because of shipping considerations. Has anyone had any experience with that on something this size or any suggestions?

Is 1:11 the better scale to go with so we can get parts availability and detail? We do want to make it motorized and RC, but should have a lot of space in the body we are going to put on it so that should not be a problem.

We are not familiar with the Lego RC capabilities, are they compatible with other RC units or do they have their own proprietary connectors, etc?

I’ve attached an image which shows what the cab should look like.

I'd suggest you go for a smaller scale. Having to order parts is expensive. For a 2000 piece model, the price would likely be around $500 dollars, just for the parts. That would be a model that is closer to 1:16 scale, by the way, which I think would be better for your purposes. A smaller model would also mean higher RC performance.

As for Lego RC stuff, what is currently available utilizes infrared remotes and receivers, which has a lot of cons, or the third party Sbrick and Buwizz, which use bluetooth, and get better performance, but require a smart device to function. There is also a learning curve to the apps.

Speed and performance are not really a factor since we will not be racing this unit, we want it to be realistic, detailed, drivable and use off the shelf RC equipment, not something Lego proprietary unless it is compatible. 

13 hours ago, Saberwing40k said:

I'd suggest you go for a smaller scale. Having to order parts is expensive. For a 2000 piece model, the price would likely be around $500 dollars, just for the parts. That would be a model that is closer to 1:16 scale, by the way, which I think would be better for your purposes. A smaller model would also mean higher RC performance.

As for Lego RC stuff, what is currently available utilizes infrared remotes and receivers, which has a lot of cons, or the third party Sbrick and Buwizz, which use bluetooth, and get better performance, but require a smart device to function. There is also a learning curve to the apps.

It sounds like the best option might be to go with the 1 : 16.7 scale for RC capability and parts availability. Would we still get good detail at that scale or given the non high performance requirement should we go back to the 1 : 11 size? Weight is not really a factor either.

We can live with the cost you just estimated if someone wants to provide a good estimate on the parts and labor to do it. I also have another drawing from Freightliner showing the overall size.

Edited by achsu

My best guess of cost for a 1:11 scale model would be closer to $ 2000-2500, depending on the builder and the level of detail you would want.

With 1:16 scale a full RC model with lots of extra functions and a very detailed scale body should sit around $1000-1500, again depending on the builder. By the way, integrating standard RC equipment can be tough on the ego parts, so I suggest going with Lego Power Functions and the third party Bluetooth options with a mobile phone as a controlling device. This is the most used solution among us adult fans of Lego in the Technic theme.

To see what level of detail is possible i 1:16 scale i recommend checking out these models:

PS: Watch videos in all topics to see the integrated functions.

With brick built body:

Mostly Technic construction (some brick detailing):

http://www.designer-han.nl/lego/stonetrailertruck.htm

And for comparison, here is a 1:11 scale model...

-ED-

Edited by Nazgarot

Sorry for double posting, but as this has little to do with the last post I'll do it anyway.

Another benefit of the 1:16 scale is the Technic figures. They are somewhere in the range of 1:20 to 1:17 scale, and fit quite well as extra detail for models of 1:16 to 1:20 scale.

Here are a few examples that might be in your interest. Just remember these are hard to come by, and quite expensive. Though for a display model they might be just the dot over the i you need to make it pop.

16113.pngtech029-9999-f72cd07d-c7e3-4bc5-99c7-f7e19933.jpg

-ED-

Edited by Nazgarot

Thanks all for your input. We want to do 1:16 scale, which might actually be 1:16.7. Just a chassis and cab with details like engine compartment, suspension, etc. We want a drive unit and steering for the remote control, we will do all of the rest in the body. Please reply if seriously interested in our request.

We are able to provide more details and schematics via email. Images will not upload on here for some reason. Please email rkeddy@sherbtel.net if interested/for more details.