Sign in to follow this  
ArneNielsen

Hi from Copenhagen

My name is Arne, I was born in 1958, and have had LEGO in my life since I was 6 years old.

When I turned 15, my sister got a job in the LEGO Company in Billund (in sales), where she worked for 12 years, leading her little brother into the LEGO world.

I have been a member at LUGNET since 2001. However, despite the fact that I have more than 4000 LEGO sets, I am not a LEGO purist; I also have MegaBrand and other clones.

Arne, Copenhagen, Denmark

On 5/9/2019 at 8:55 AM, ArneNielsen said:

My name is Arne, I was born in 1958, and have had LEGO in my life since I was 6 years old.

When I turned 15, my sister got a job in the LEGO Company in Billund (in sales), where she worked for 12 years, leading her little brother into the LEGO world.

I have been a member at LUGNET since 2001. However, despite the fact that I have more than 4000 LEGO sets, I am not a LEGO purist; I also have MegaBrand and other clones.

Arne, Copenhagen, Denmark

Welcome to Eurobricks, Arne!

I bet your sister has some great stories about working at Lego in Billund. If you ever would like to share, do let us know :)

On 6/17/2019 at 2:24 PM, leafan said:

I bet your sister has some great stories about working at Lego in Billund. If you ever would like to share, do let us know :)

Well, maybe she has, but you know, working in an office is like working in any other office.

It was back in the USSR times, where the Soviet Union didnt pay LEGO in money, but in commodities. My sister worked in this "toy-for-something" office, where she tried to negotiate which Soviet (and other Eastern European communist countries) odd toys and other stuff could be accepted as payment - as in, not another batch of Babushka dolls, rather something else that could be sold somewhere.

But back in those days, all staff in Billund had to participate in test building of new sets. As my sister didnt really care for LEGO bricks (except Fabuland figs), she asked her little brother to do the test-build. So aged 15, I build new sets before they were launched. I still have a copy of the error-form I filled in for the prototype of set 855 Mobile Crane.

Somewhere in my basement I have a large number of staff magazines from the 80ties - some day I will have to find them again...

Thanks for your kind welcome!

5 hours ago, ArneNielsen said:

Well, maybe she has, but you know, working in an office is like working in any other office.

It was back in the USSR times, where the Soviet Union didnt pay LEGO in money, but in commodities. My sister worked in this "toy-for-something" office, where she tried to negotiate which Soviet (and other Eastern European communist countries) odd toys and other stuff could be accepted as payment - as in, not another batch of Babushka dolls, rather something else that could be sold somewhere.

But back in those days, all staff in Billund had to participate in test building of new sets. As my sister didnt really care for LEGO bricks (except Fabuland figs), she asked her little brother to do the test-build. So aged 15, I build new sets before they were launched. I still have a copy of the error-form I filled in for the prototype of set 855 Mobile Crane.

Somewhere in my basement I have a large number of staff magazines from the 80ties - some day I will have to find them again...

Thanks for your kind welcome!

That is fascinating, perhaps @LEGO Historian would be interested?

Arne, do you happen to remember any Castle themed sets that never ended up on shelves? Thanks for your insight.