leafan

Trolls World Tour 2019 - Rumors & Discussion

I want the ogrelord Shrek. 

Regardless, Trolls is pretty colorful franchise. I'm looking forward for many new recolors.

Just now, Square said:

Regardless, Trolls is pretty colorful franchise. I'm looking forward for many new recolors.

Well, maybe I'd hope for at least new hairpieces; but, how much do you wanna bet this theme's figures will all have unusable "Simpsons-style" heads? :sceptic:

4 minutes ago, Falconfan1414 said:

That could signal that dreamworks and Lego are working together

That would definitely be the best scenario we could hope for.

I'm willing to give Dreamworks and TLG a chance to prove this theme can succeed so that we can have LEGO Shrek 5. :grin:

So is this going to be The Angry Birds Movie theme all over again? Really not interested in this. My opinion on LEGO’s Licensed Themes only continues to become more muddy with themes like this.

Literally the only positive I can see is the prospect of a Barry B Benson or Shrek figure.

And if the only upside is the chance of getting meme figs, that's not a good sign :sceptic:

Just a guess on my part here but if they are working with dream works maybe a collectible minifigure series based off dream works next year? 

6 minutes ago, Henry Bricklider said:

So is this going to be The Angry Birds Movie theme all over again? Really not interested in this. My opinion on LEGO’s Licensed Themes only continues to become more muddy with themes like this.

24 minutes ago, doclord said:

Obligatory "weird and likely gonna flop" licensed theme of 2020?

Depends on how they do the head pieces.  TBH I could see this being a huge success.  Not because of the IP but with the right color scheme (think elves) AFOLs will get behind it.  They're already showing its minifigs, not dolls. 

Bright colors to build vegetation? Win for everyone
Minifigs not dolls? Win for me personally.

The kicker here is how do the heads look which haven't been revealed.  If they're stylized heads, then yes, I can see this being "meh" because how many heads do i need that look "off" but can't be customized to other figs. But if they do normal heads but with actual legit hairpieces for the hair in Poppy, Branch or whoever?  Pink bright hair with elves ears put on Captain America or random castle person in the dungeon?  Huge win and I got a feeling it would sell.  Up-do crazy hair pieces that are random, unique?  MOC application is big, new molds, etc . I'm only guessing, but Dreamworks isn't as crazy about their IP as other brands *cough* Disney and I HOPE that LEGO learned a few things from Simpsons.  Crossing my fingers for normal LEGO approach for the heads without the weird non-swap-able head pieces. 

From a business perspective, I would roll the dice with this.  I have no idea who green lit the Angry Birds (10 yrs after their peak in the games, but then again I dont know why the movie was made either).  But this could work out fantastically. 

A Dreamworks license per se isn't that surprising, given that A) Dreamworks now belongs to Universal (as does Illumination *shudder*) and Universal has a good relation to TLG, just like WB and Disney, and B) Dreamworks characters were supposed to be included in LEGO Dimensions V3 before it was scrapped :wink: But Trolls...?!?! Well, at least it's not their yellow cousins from their sister studio :sick:

Edited by Lego-Freak

I will die a happy man the day we get Shrek sets. Shrek 5 is their next chance (Supposedly coming out this year) I don't care about trolls! Lol. This theme will probably bring lots of glittery and colorful pieces.

3 hours ago, dvt said:

Depends on how they do the head pieces.  TBH I could see this being a huge success.  Not because of the IP but with the right color scheme (think elves) AFOLs will get behind it.  They're already showing its minifigs, not dolls. 

Bright colors to build vegetation? Win for everyone
Minifigs not dolls? Win for me personally.

The kicker here is how do the heads look which haven't been revealed.  If they're stylized heads, then yes, I can see this being "meh" because how many heads do i need that look "off" but can't be customized to other figs. But if they do normal heads but with actual legit hairpieces for the hair in Poppy, Branch or whoever?  Pink bright hair with elves ears put on Captain America or random castle person in the dungeon?  Huge win and I got a feeling it would sell.  Up-do crazy hair pieces that are random, unique?  MOC application is big, new molds, etc . I'm only guessing, but Dreamworks isn't as crazy about their IP as other brands *cough* Disney and I HOPE that LEGO learned a few things from Simpsons.  Crossing my fingers for normal LEGO approach for the heads without the weird non-swap-able head pieces. 

From a business perspective, I would roll the dice with this.  I have no idea who green lit the Angry Birds (10 yrs after their peak in the games, but then again I dont know why the movie was made either).  But this could work out fantastically. 

Okay, the prospect of getting colorful vegetation pieces and unique hairpieces sways me a little. I hadn’t even thought about the parts and potential for MOCing. I’m a little more okay with this, if they do that.

I'm excited - this theme will provide A LOT of new interesting pieces and parts in new colors! AND THAT'S THE BEST!
Let's just hope the hair will be molded and not glued to molded heads.

4 minutes ago, Lordofdragonss said:

I'm excited - this theme will provide A LOT of new interesting pieces and parts in new colors! AND THAT'S THE BEST!
Let's just hope the hair will be molded and not glued to molded heads.

Excellent TLDR, thanks!

4 hours ago, Digger of Bricks said:

how much do you wanna bet this theme's figures will all have unusable "Simpsons-style" heads?

Hard to tell from the image here, but it looks like a regular head. Besides, Lego have moved away from that with their reboot of the Toy Story line.

4 hours ago, makoy said:

we can have LEGO Shrek 5. :grin:

Speaking of Reboots, wasn't that scrapped so Illumination can do a Shrek Reboot?

Looks like a lot of potential to get all sorts of colored heads and hair pieces.

Edited by TeriXeri

I’m of the opinion stylized cartoon characters like those in The Simpsons and Toy Story actually do look better in minifigure form when given appropriately specially-molded, stylized heads. On the other hand, I have no particular interest in or familiarity with Trolls as a franchise, so I’m fine with whatever they do.

As always, I’ll be interested in whatever parts and colors this theme brings, even if I don’t care about the source material or resulting builds, and might pick up some sets once they hit clearance.

(All of this could change if I ever wind up watching Trolls and deciding I like it. I don’t think it’s likely, but Stranger Things have happened...)

First Overwatch, then Stranger Things and now this

What an odd bunch of licenses in a few months

I don't know whatever is going on anymore dude :wacko: 

55 minutes ago, Robert8 said:

First Overwatch, then Stranger Things and now this

What an odd bunch of licenses in a few months

I don't know whatever is going on anymore dude :wacko: 

Couldn’t have said it better myself. I think Lego experimenting is a good thing.

7 hours ago, J4ck said:

Couldn’t have said it better myself. I think Lego experimenting is a good thing.

Exactly. I’ve seen a lot of negative comments in several places (this is the internet, after all), but it’s really simple: if you don’t like it, don’t buy it :wink: There’s no loss for us customers. It’s not like TLG replaced [insert your personal favourite franchise that you would like to see here] with Trolls :snicker:

This experiment wasn't needed. Trolls are probably the worst thing create by mankind. The only good that might come of it is a new hairpiece, that if anime looking enough can be used for DBZ characters. :P

4 minutes ago, BrickG said:

This experiment wasn't needed. Trolls are probably the worst thing create by mankind. The only good that might come of it is a new hairpiece, that if anime looking enough can be used for DBZ characters. :P

Hey, at least it’s based on the movie rather than the dreadful toys :purrr: I wouldn’t judge the theme after only having seen a teaser image. Even if you dislike the source material, we might still get some good stuff out of it in terms of builds, moulds and colours :wink: The Angry Birds theme was also based on less-than-ideal source material but the sets were decent and some of the moulds introduced in that theme are still around (the eggcellent egg mould for instance). It probably won’t have lasting power (I can’t see it as anything but a one-and-done theme) but it may open the door for other Dreamworks themes :excited: