leafan

Trolls World Tour 2019 - Rumors & Discussion

There was recently a change in CEO at TLG, right?

Maybe that has something to do with it, because these licenses are .... well, weird. 

4 hours ago, Lego-Freak said:

Exactly. I’ve seen a lot of negative comments in several places (this is the internet, after all), but it’s really simple: if you don’t like it, don’t buy it :wink: There’s no loss for us customers. It’s not like TLG replaced [insert your personal favourite franchise that you would like to see here] with Trolls :snicker:

Something is getting replaced. Lego only has so much shelf space and only produces so many sets per year. If Trolls sets exist, they're taking up part of that. Consumers have the right to be worried about what a company is doing.

Here's something else that's really simple: if you don't like the negative comments, don't read them :wink:

I wouldn’t be surprised if this was a 4+ theme, thus filling the void left by Toy Story 4 rather than replacing anything directly :wink: Of course you could argue that it may sort of replace Pixar’s Onward (or the other as-of-yet unknown 2020 Pixar movie), but I doubt we’d get sets based on either of those anyway since all Pixar themes up until now have been based on franchises within Pixar’s catalogue rather than stand-alone films (the Wall-E Ideas set doesn’t count).

And I don’t see how Trolls is supposed to be the harbinger of the LEGO apocalypse :grin: If TLG survived Angry Birds, they’ll survive this as well :head_back: At least we’re getting minifigs here...

hey just think at one positive from this , new pieces and molds

there has always been some rumours about TLG wanting to dive into dreamworks properties for a while now

so its not that surprising , it will be nice to have a poppy and blanche minifigure though

and with them releasing a stranger things set very very soon it tells they are trying to expand into new markets

Can't say I even remotely care about Trolls as a license, but if this leads to minifigs based on things like Shrek and How to Train your Dragon, I'm all for it.

I have no interest in them at all as sets. But it looks like there might be some nice parts. And they are using traditional parts for the bodies at least, and wait and see for heads/hair. So they are already better than Angry Birds.

I am excited for this from a parts perspective, plus I also enjoy the original movie/source material. I just hope they give us the tie dye torso without the lanyard prints as well.

The lanyard looks pretty clearly edited onto the picture, not part of the actual torso print.

I'm excited for this theme! My niece and nephew are fans of the first Trolls movie (and especially the holiday short) but have been fairly slow to embrace LEGO, so maybe this will be how I finally convert them. :laugh:

If done well, I think the theme could be a really good seller. I guess for AFOLs, a lot depends on how they do the hair. Although for kids, I doubt they'd mind if the heads are molded or traditional heads, or the hair is "hair" or rubber or plastic.

I think they will have new hairpieces, syndrome's hair in different colors, or Ursula's hair in different colors.  I can also see a lot of pink and environment pieces going into these sets.  Also, if it's world tour then maybe there will be monuments and landmarks.

Or they could also have molded heads

From the pic it looks like a molded head. If so, the hair would be molded into it for sure

As someone already said, if this leads to a How to Train Your Dragon theme it would be amazing. Just think about Vikings+dragons (old Viking theme has some but this have a potential to be better). But Playmobil had the license for the 3rd movie, not sure how it could be played out.

If this means a licensing agreement with DreamWorks, then I would be open to a She-Ra and the Princesses of Power theme.

2 hours ago, Digger of Bricks said:

Huh, this has strangely escaped my attention for six days now..

So many oddly shaped characters (compared to minifigure shape), I really wonder what LEGO is going to do with this, especially the heads/hair relative to a Minifig torso.

Angry Birds got a couple new molds for the characters might be very likely for something like this as well.

Meanwhile, Toy Story 4 went back to basic minifigs.

Edited by TeriXeri

On 5/9/2019 at 6:49 AM, Yeow said:

Something is getting replaced. Lego only has so much shelf space and only produces so many sets per year. If Trolls sets exist, they're taking up part of that. Consumers have the right to be worried about what a company is doing.

Here's something else that's really simple: if you don't like the negative comments, don't read them :wink:

My guess is that the theme these are most likely replacing is Toy Story 4. If that's the case, then just as with the Incredibles 2 and Cars 3 sets from previous years, we can probably expect a small-ish single wave of 4+ sets, rather than a replacement of any of the sorts of themes that AFOLs tend to be drawn to. Needless to say The LEGO Movie 2 set will probably be getting few or even no new sets in 2020, so that leaves a LOT of room for LEGO to introduce other new themes without retiring anything that wasn't already on its way to retirement anyhow.

It might be that you're right to worry, but I think those of us who are less concerned about this see it less as some startling new trend and more as just the same sort of "animated movie sequel theme" that we've seen so many of from 2010 to 2019. If there's any big change here, it's that LEGO is expanding that category beyond Disney/Pixar movies. I would honestly have expected that news to be received a little more favorably, particularly considering all the worries I've seen about whether LEGO is becoming too dependent on Disney in the wake of their many IP acquisitions (which has some seriously concerning implications well beyond the scope of the LEGO brand).

I think what has a lot of folks who have been on sites like Eurobricks and Brickset for a long time a little surprised or concerned about the negative trends we've been seeing in comments is not the negative opinions or feelings themselves, but how more and more we see disappointment framed as tantamount to a "slap in the face" or insult to fans, and mild disagreements treated as attempts to silence dissenting opinions.

One of the comments on Brickset's post about the Jurassic World T. Rex Rampage announcement went so far as to insist that "you sycophantic LEGO reviewers and fanboys can rationalize and believe anything LEGO tells you like it’s scripture, but for the rest of us that have eyes, LEGO obviously ripped this from the Ideas site", and that "LEGO should FIRE THE ENTIRE MARKETING DEPARTMENT IMMEDIATELY!" — not only insulting anybody who wasn't outraged over an imagined injustice that even the Ideas project creator in question didn't believe or feel bothered about, but also expecting LEGO to put well over 1000 people out of work over a set and announcement that many of them may have had nothing to do with.

The reactions in this thread are nowhere NEAR as awful, but a lot of us who have been in communities like Eurobricks or Brickset for a long time are worried about whether civil online LEGO communities like this one can be sustained if we can't somehow encourage a stronger ethos of patience/open-mindedness in how we express negative and positive feelings alike before tensions escalate to that point.

@Aanchir this is comparable to the use of the empty threat of “if Lego doesn’t give us X we riot”. This stemmed from the days of ECW wrestling when you would see a banner with that on and believe it, which then got repeated later in another promotion without any rioting, which dilutes the meaning and makes the fans look ridiculous. The language being used in this forum isn’t as bad as the example you gave, but I have seen the riot ‘threat’, demands for resignations and continually see dislike and disappointment for a set being taken as a personal slight by some. Sorry to veer from the topic but it resonated with me. 

A head for the Lego Trolls line has leaked. Seeing as it's a regular minifigure head, it might reflect that for the rest of the figs (Although the teaser looked to have a moulded head)

Well, that head is.....something. Showing it without hair, I wonder if that means they’ll be removable or they just hadn’t glued the hair on yet. I’m hoping the former, that way we can maybe have some decent Super Saiyan hairpiece purist options.