leafan

Trolls World Tour 2019 - Rumors & Discussion

On 10/25/2019 at 4:21 PM, LuigiBobLegoPants said:

By looking at the pictures, I think it's confirmed the hair is removable, revealing the head having 2x2 studs...

Huh, that does look like what could be going on there. Admittedly, I will give Lego credit for giving them all a single standard head mold who's facial features are printed rather that molded on, making them more akin to the traditional minifigure's system of customizability with swappable hairpieces and all... :def_shrug:

Edited by Digger of Bricks

On 10/28/2019 at 8:44 PM, LuigiBobLegoPants said:

How much is LEGO allowed in having movie licensing in their slots? 5-6?

I don't think there's a strict limit. But of course, with any themes (licensed or not), it's best if there aren't too many coming out at once that are likely to appeal to the same subset of buyers and end up cannibalizing one another's sales. So I suspect LEGO avoids releasing too many new licenses for kids' animated movies unless their release dates are adequately spread out. Just as an example of movies in this category they've picked up licenses for in the past few years:

• 2016: The Angry Birds Movie and Moana
  • 2017: The LEGO Batman Movie, Cars 3, and The LEGO Ninjago Movie
  • 2018: Incredibles 2
  • 2019: The LEGO Movie 2: The Second Part, Toy Story 4, and Frozen 2
  • 2020: Trolls: World Tour and Minions: The Rise of Gru (possibly others, but these are the only ones confirmed so far)

On 10/28/2019 at 11:17 PM, Aanchir said:

Why is the number of new molds here "insane"? I've watched the video a few times and I can count 20 or so new molds among these ten characters. That's no more than the number of new molds from the 2011 Pirates of the Caribbean sets or 2012 Lord of the Rings sets. And it's a lot less than the over 40 new molds for the 2010 Toy Story sets, many of which were far less customization-friendly.

I might even be overcounting some of them, since I suspect several the decorative parts we see here like sunglasses or flowers probably come as an accessory pack with several different shapes produced by a single mold, like 35032, 36083, 37720, 40598, and 50018 from LEGO Super Heroes or 92355, 93080, 93081, 93082, 98393, and 49595 from LEGO Friends.

To you, the molds might seem "absolutely useless", but a lot of people might argue the same thing about IP-locked helmets, alien/droid pieces, etc. created for other licenses like Super Heroes and Star Wars. One way or another, with seven sets currently rumored, it shouldn't be hard for LEGO to get their money's worth out of a lot of these molds even just within this theme, as they have with IP-locked molds in so many other themes by this point.

I didn't wrote just "new moulds". I don't count the Friends pieces here that will be reused for years. They are not what i meant. The "special effort" i mean are highly specific pieces that are made for a character to make him look perfect. An example: Blackbeard's Beard, Woody's moulded head, Homer Simpson's head or Bombur's Beard. You can not reuse them again unless for that one licenced character and it makes the figure beautifull. The generic sailor hat that was used for Blackbeart, Davy, Spongebob's flying Dutchman and Hidden side isn't like that. It is just a much needed mould in general that will keep for years in Legos mould library in case any pirate- or fishing-theme will be produced. Like Gandalfs Beard is reused by Dumbledore or Super Heroes. Norringtons Hairpiece went from PotC to Super heroes, Lotr and Harry Potter. The new Harry Potter Lantern piece is already a usefull addition in the cmf-Disney-Line and Hermoines hair is in the Stranger things set.

Now look again at the licences you mentioned and think about how many waves the lines had, when you compare that to only one wave of Trolls Lego put such an insane effort into. I don't hate Trolls for that. I am happy for everyone who likes them. What makes me a bit sad is the lack of that effort when it comes to other themes. I'd like to get some of the accessory pieces we see in the videogames. If TT games felt like a special part is needed it is a good indicator it's absence in the physical sets hurts. Like for example Narsil or Orcrist...

12 hours ago, Gorilla94 said:

I didn't wrote just "new moulds". I don't count the Friends pieces here that will be reused for years. They are not what i meant. The "special effort" i mean are highly specific pieces that are made for a character to make him look perfect. An example: Blackbeard's Beard, Woody's moulded head, Homer Simpson's head or Bombur's Beard. You can not reuse them again unless for that one licenced character and it makes the figure beautifull. The generic sailor hat that was used for Blackbeart, Davy, Spongebob's flying Dutchman and Hidden side isn't like that. It is just a much needed mould in general that will keep for years in Legos mould library in case any pirate- or fishing-theme will be produced. Like Gandalfs Beard is reused by Dumbledore or Super Heroes. Norringtons Hairpiece went from PotC to Super heroes, Lotr and Harry Potter. The new Harry Potter Lantern piece is already a usefull addition in the cmf-Disney-Line and Hermoines hair is in the Stranger things set. 

Now look again at the licences you mentioned and think about how many waves the lines had, when you compare that to only one wave of Trolls Lego put such an insane effort into. I don't hate Trolls for that. I am happy for everyone who likes them. What makes me a bit sad is the lack of that effort when it comes to other themes. I'd like to get some of the accessory pieces we see in the videogames. If TT games felt like a special part is needed it is a good indicator it's absence in the physical sets hurts. Like for example Narsil or Orcrist...

How many waves these themes each got doesn't make as much of a difference as you might think, because my post that you quoted only described the number of new molds that themes like LotR and Toy Story got in their first year. If they continued for additional waves, then they got substantially more new molds in those waves:

• In addition to the 20 new molds from the first wave of LotR sets in 2012, it also got 7 additional molds in its 2013 wave.

• The Hobbit got 16 new molds in its 2012 launch wave (18 you break down the pre-assembled Warg and Goblin King torsos into their separate components). But it also got 7 more in its 2013 wave, and 12 more in its 2014 wave (15 if you break down the pre-assembled Smaug neck, head, and torso).

• Toy Story got at least 18 new molds in its first wave in 2010, but probably at least 26 when you break down pre-assembled elements into their component molds. The subsequent Toy Story 3 wave in May 2010 had 17 MORE molds — at least 23 when you break down pre-assembled elements.

I don't think the number of new molds in any of those themes can be considered "low effort". And this doesn't even account for how designers could potentially introduce several new prints or recolors for the same price as a new mold, and may be consciously making that choice in licenses that require large numbers of characters, like Super Heroes or The Lord of the Rings.

Similarly, I think it's a mistake to think that this theme is going above and beyond the norm for licensed themes in terms of character-accurate molding. From what I've seen, the shape of the characters' faces, ears, and hairstyles are a lot more varied in the movies than the minifigures. Since neither of us have seen either of the Trolls movies, it's tricky for us to recognize from first glance where the designers have cut corners on accuracy to make the most of this theme's molding and printing budgets.

But from a bit of googling, the mohawked character Barb should have pointier right ear and a big bite taken out of her left ear, Branch's ears are supposed to be wavier than Poppy's perky, round ones, and Cooper's ears should be droopier almost like goat ears. And Guy Diamond's hair should be tall and pointy, not flat-topped like Branch's hair, which appears on both their minifigs.

And even if Trolls: World Tour only gets one wave, there's no guarantee LEGO won't pick the license back up for a future movie, just like they did for Pirates of the Caribbean or Toy Story — or even for spin-offs, as they have done with the Frozen and Jurassic World licenses in recent non-movie years. In that case, LEGO could get much more use out of these molds. Either way, neither the number nor the specificity of molds in this theme seem super remarkable to me. If anything, I feel like they're just getting a disproportionate reaction on account of being different than what we're used to.

It's sort of reminiscent of how many AFOLs hated the Iron Man helmet molds when they first came out, and complained that LEGO should've just printed a minifig head like they had always done with Spider-Man, or like they had done with the New York Toy Fair exclusive Iron Man minifigure.

It's not as though the number of molds in the first wave of Marvel Super Heroes sets was in any way excessive. After all, neither Captain America or Wolverine got a molded mask/helmet that year, and stuff like Loki's staff, the Chitauri's blasters, and the hairstyles of Black Widow, Thor, and Hawkeye all made use of existing pieces that scarcely resembled their on-screen counterparts — all places we've seen improvement on some level in the years since.

But even so, the helmet pieces introduced for Iron Man were bigger, more detailed, and more character-specific than what fans at that time had come to expect as the default, and so led to people worrying that they were wasteful or unnecessary.

Edited by Aanchir

Trailer analysis compared to rumored set names to possible set types.

Coral Reef scene ("Water") >?

3 Flowers with Faces  ("Flowers" or "Large Flowers") >?

Several Cactus can be seen ("Cactus") >?

Parts counts of sets aren't too huge however.

Edited by TeriXeri

Not my type of sets but at least LEGO tried something to make it look more like the actual movie style / color palette.

Using canvas parts does actually help the style here.

Overall , not bad for their intended purpose even while I only saw the trailer for this and not movie 1.

2 characters from the original figures teaser seem to be missing the red mohawk character and the smaller  yellow character that's basicly 2 minifig head parts and a tophat.

Edited by TeriXeri

honestly I love them all as I like colourful playsets thank goodness I have decided to omit certain themes this winter makes it easier to save up for these

I can be a little colour blind when it comes to darker pieces so I have decided to start skipping sets with that palette as a focus

The figures are better than Angry Birds because we are least get legs, a new skirt and neat torso prints.

New leaf and music pieces, and HUGE balloon piece so what the hell. Worse case is we all get them for 75% off.

There are some interesting pieces in there but I cannot really see that many people paying those sort of prices on sets that will go out of fashion very quickly.

1 hour ago, MAB said:

There are some interesting pieces in there but I cannot really see that many people paying those sort of prices on sets that will go out of fashion very quickly.

This. There are a couple of pieces I'm really interested to see used elsewhere.

2 hours ago, TeriXeri said:

Not my type of sets but at least LEGO tried something to make it look more like the actual movie style / color palette.

Using canvas parts does actually help the style here.

Overall , not bad for their intended purpose even while I only saw the trailer for this and not movie 1.

2 characters from the original figures teaser seem to be missing the red mohawk character and the smaller  yellow character that's basicly 2 minifig head parts and a tophat.

The ‘red Mohawk character’ is Queen Barb, and she’s in the big rock stage set, and the yellow one is Mr. Dinkles, who comes in the balloon set. 

I really like these! It’s hard to make out a lot of details, though, and apparently there’s seven sets, not six like we first heard. One might be a retailer exclusive. I’m not sure at all what I’ll do with them, but it’ll be fun!

28 minutes ago, Feng-huang0296 said:

The ‘red Mohawk character’ is Queen Barb, and she’s in the big rock stage set, and the yellow one is Mr. Dinkles, who comes in the balloon set. 

I really like these! It’s hard to make out a lot of details, though, and apparently there’s seven sets, not six like we first heard. One might be a retailer exclusive. I’m not sure at all what I’ll do with them, but it’ll be fun!

I think its 6 regular lego sets and one 4 plus set they really are great fun sets as I have said it before I like my sets to have a great playability and include lots of colourful pieces even the prices are great too considering all the new and larger pieces my 2 favourites are the rock stage set and the bus set that has not been officially revealed yet so far this and hidden side are the only themes I care about this winter

15 minutes ago, TheGlynreaper said:

I think its 6 regular lego sets and one 4 plus set they really are great fun sets as I have said it before I like my sets to have a great playability and include lots of colourful pieces even the prices are great too considering all the new and larger pieces my 2 favourites are the rock stage set and the bus set that has not been officially revealed yet so far this and hidden side are the only themes I care about this winter

You do know are pictures of both of them on #legoleaks? They’re hidden behind some of the other pictures, but look and you’ll find them.

Loving the sets, and can't wait for clearer pics. So many awesome new pieces and prints, and I love the use of fabric, just hope it is hard wearing.

I see several shots with cupcakes on top of the hair... pin attachment?

I can see buying several of the tree set and expanding it for homes for the rest of the characters. Really looking forward to building these, but hoping it will be a single wave. I would have liked to see Poppy's dad and Satin and Chenille, but the latter two would be tricky due to their hair being connected.

50 minutes ago, sunhuntin said:

Loving the sets, and can't wait for clearer pics. So many awesome new pieces and prints, and I love the use of fabric, just hope it is hard wearing.

I see several shots with cupcakes on top of the hair... pin attachment?

I can see buying several of the tree set and expanding it for homes for the rest of the characters. Really looking forward to building these, but hoping it will be a single wave. I would have liked to see Poppy's dad and Satin and Chenille, but the latter two would be tricky due to their hair being connected.

Fabric? You’re right, huh. That’s an interesting choice. 

I think the cupcakes are going to be part of a new accessories pack, like the Ninjago weapons pack or Friends accessories. I’m noticing that in a lot of the sets there are new musical note parts in the same colour, as well as between one and three cupcake parts also in that colour. I think we’re getting a Trolls accessories pack.

I suspect the connected hair is exactly why they didn’t do Satin and Chenille. It would have had to be fixed, which would have made them hard to play with. And King Peppy has different proportions, he would have required yet another set of moulds and he’s a pretty minor character. (Though so is King Trollex of the Techno Trolls by the looks of the trailers, and they did him . . I guess they wanted him because he’s a much more unique design than the others. He’s my favourite character and favourite type of music though so I won’t complain.) I guess they had to draw the budget line somewhere, even if there is quite a lot of new moulds in this line. Lemme do a quick count. 

I count eighteen visible new moulds, and that’s counting the music/cupcakes accessory packs as one and not including the fabric pieces. Is that a record? That has to be a record. 

EDIT: Wait, Branch’s sunglasses and Poppy’s ukulele are new right? Twenty.

Edited by Feng-huang0296

33 minutes ago, BrickFit26 said:

Love the colors. The fact set looks cool. I'm confused though, are we also getting Trolls World Tour CMFs with all of these sets?

We’ve heard literally nothing to imply a CMF. 

4 hours ago, Feng-huang0296 said:

Ok, the first images on brickset didn't clearly show those.

4 hours ago, K_Tiger said:
5 hours ago, MAB said:

This. There are a couple of pieces I'm really interested to see used elsewhere.

Besides official recolors of such parts after the fact, I can see those transparent "living pods" making their way into SPACESHIP!!! MOCs... :thumbup: :smug:

5 hours ago, Feng-huang0296 said:

We’ve heard literally nothing to imply a CMF. 

Omg. I was so confused. When we saw that first leak of some of the Trolls together in a group I immediately thought CMFs. :wall:

That centaur body will make a great pony-centaur :pir-sceptic:

but i like the pictures. Looks like a good wave to me. And very playful and fun for people who will buy these sets. 

Would be cool if my daughter wants some of these, but she doesnt like new lego. She just wants bricks to build stuff

So, do we know where LEGO got the reference material to make these sets? Because I’m comparing LEGO King Trollex with his on-screen counterpart and the hair’s wrong in both style and colour, the arms are wrong, and it’s just inaccurate. So could this actually be a different character entirely? 

Good news is, it should be possible to fix; grab a purple round jumper tile and a lime green flame piece from that one Scooby-Doo Dimensions pack, and replace the arms with dual-moulded red and yellow Bart Simpson arms. Or maybe orange and yellow . . it’s hard to accurately represent his whole ‘rainbow arms’ thing. 

Granted, I’m probably the only one who cares enough to actually do this.