Redimus

Adding custom parts to Stud.io

I'm wanting to use Stud.io to create digital versions of my designs to ensure I have them saved for prosperity.
Most of my locos use BB wheels and Zephyr's Rods, plus one of them uses the PU battery box without it's bottom attached. Is it possible to add files intended for LDraw to the Stud.io library, and is it possible for someone to create a model of the battery box without the bottom?

[EDIT]Is there any Power Up actually on Stud.io yet? I can't seem to find it.[/EDIT]

I would also like to generate instructions for these, if they can't be imported, does LDraw generate OK instructions?

Thanks in advance for any imput.

Edited by Redimus

Yes, you can use custom LDraw parts in Studio, they only lack connectivity (you need to move them “manually” but for the rest they behave the same way).  Just search the forum for a howto.

A dedicated tool to add custom parts should be released any time now (promised for April, there’s a (for now 404) link on the main page of BrickLink).

Power Up has just been added to LDraw, it should eventually come to Studio.

Are there any tips for getting things 'manually' connected, or is it pure trial and error?

Parts can be moved along a grid (brick, stud, plate, or 1xLDU, depending on the chosen grid and direction).  It’s rather easy.  You can use keys or the mouse.  It’s like with other LDraw editors (the ones that don’t have autoconnect).

It’s just that there’s no connection, so you can’t select “connected parts” or, rather, you have to remember to add the custom part(s) to the selection before moving it.  It’s also problematic for hinge rotations (the custom part can’t move/rotate with the other parts and blocks/collides with them).

14 hours ago, SylvainLS said:

Parts can be moved along a grid (brick, stud, plate, or 1xLDU, depending on the chosen grid and direction).  It’s rather easy.  You can use keys or the mouse.  It’s like with other LDraw editors (the ones that don’t have autoconnect).

It's possible to move or rotate parts with keyboard only? So far I couldn't succeed doing that (could only rotate 90°)...

You can rotate 45° with shift+arrows.

You can move along the grid with asdf.

Preferences | Shortcuts | BrickControl

The problems are:

1. 45° isn’t very fine (but still better than 90°)
  2. Only left/right + forward/backward, not up/down.  At least, I never find how….

Thanks Sylvain!

Only left/right + forward/backward, not up/down.  At least, I never find how….

Turns out that movement depends on viewing direction, just as in LDCad. So if you look from front or side, q/w move up/down!

Just now, Philo said:

Turns out that movement depends on viewing direction, just as in LDCad. So if you look from front or side, q/w move up/down!

That’s what I thought and tried but never managed to do it… And now it works! *huh*   I’m sure it did it on purpose! :angry:

(And, of course, the default is the wasd, not asdf.  I should have looked at a keyboard :grin:)

Hi guys,

I'd read this topic but in cause of the language i have some probs to understand ....

Is there a german guy who can help me to put the custom parts in my stud.io, or can someone of you give me tipps how to do it, in easy works ?

And, if someone knows ; how to bend flexible parts in the way I want - if try to do, they acting like a snake.

Thanks for help, Dave42

Edited by Dave42