Sign in to follow this  
knotian

Samsonite Gear question

I'm using the old large Samsonite gears in some 1900 era equipment. I was just wondering if there were ever any axles for these, and if so their part numbers. I went through and looked at many sets (bricklink) and could not find any axles. If not axles, were there something that could revolve on? I know the small wheels had metal axles. Don't need it now since the driving mechanism will be standard gears pinned to the old ones, just curious.

quickest way to drive them, is simply to put a 2x2 round plate (or 2x2 round brick) on either side, and then insert a regular axle

I used the small white on in a recent GBC - you can see in photos here:

https://bricksafe.com/pages/rbeckett/gbc-stuff/gbc-hailfireloops

it was the only thing that meshed with the outside teeth on a Hailfire wheel!

In general, these old gears were designed to be pressed into the red wheels with the metal axles

They are really are an oddball design, not quite up to the standard we expect from the Lego System

@TechnicRCRacer

Samsonite gears refers to these ones: (1965-67)

15842917914_fbccb10a49_b.jpg

The 2nd generation of gears were these: (1970-74)

454b29ed7a27de5fcbf1b35a3f233722.jpg

Before finally the 'current' standard of gears arrived in 1977

961_main.jpg

We can also say that there is the newest series of gears, starting with 12t bevel in 1993, and then the 12t double bevel, and 36t double bevel in 1999

I have several of these gears along with the Lego chain that fits them and have used them on my bucket chain excavator. Had no problem using regular Lego axles but they are a bit hard to push through the gear centre X hole. Easier in one direction than the other, there is a spring grip inside the axle hole.

Also used them on the conveyor on my GBC train through rotary dumper. They still have uses.

Edited by Doug72

11 hours ago, RohanBeckett said:

in general, these old gears were designed to be pressed into the red wheels with the metal axles

Thanks. I was wondering why I could not find any axles.

I've found out that several of the current gears, with 1/2 pins, connect the gear with a technic axle quite solidly.

Ed

11 hours ago, RohanBeckett said:

Samsonite gears refers to these ones: (1965-67)

Oh, I confused these ones with the second generation.