SavaTheAggie

[MOC] The Texas Eagle

Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)

47678934852_15ca313da0.jpgTexas & Pacific - Texas Eagle by Tony Sava, on Flickr

Full Gallery:

Truth be told, when I designed my Santa Fe Warbonnet EMD F7A, it was actually with the end goal of building the engines to this train.

47706348452_7ba5e9e674.jpgSisters from another mister by Tony Sava, on Flickr

In the first picture, the train was not yet complete.  In all, there are 12 pieces - an F7A&B, a baggage combine, 4 sleepers, 1 coach, 1 lounge, 1 diner, 1 planetarium dome, and 1 observation car.  All in all some 46 track lengths long.

47767151421_423382d4ea.jpgTexas Eagle - a little bit longer than I expected by Tony Sava, on Flickr

The coaches are running with BMR wheel bearings, and are boringly hollow.  However they could be easily modified to include interiors.

40765311313_5b28739eef.jpgTexas Eagle - Planetarium Dome - Ed "Babyface" Chang by Tony Sava, on Flickr

Additionally each car has been named after a person or group that has had an impact on my time as an AFOL in the train universe.

--Tony

Edited by SavaTheAggie

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A beautiful train you built there, nice to see a livery less common among MOC's. :thumbup:

The cars seem to be at scale as well, or did you use selective compression?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So... 5 meters long? (i use metrical :) 

How many motors do you need on this beauty?

you did a excellent job!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This is truly breathtaking. Congratulations!

And - as before - I simply admire how you turned your rather "not building boxes on wheels" comments ages ago into a "beautiful box with so many details that it may actually catch-up with steamers - and on wheels".

Amazing. The color scheme is also very, very nice.

Question: Did an actual FP7 with one B-unit attached pull the corresponding 5 meters of coaches or is it because of the power of (at least) two 9V motors?

This is so great!

Best
Thorsten 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Outch, that hurts.

My Colorado Eagle ist stil WIP.

And now I am outpaced by Tony Sava. Everybody will think I blundly copied your work or at least your idea :cry_sad:

http://47798889761_d8f975fefc_c.jpgColorado Eagle med. by Brick Musher, auf Flickr

 

Well, I started with that four or five years ago, so there was plenty of time for me to finish it. Somhow I lost sight of it, so the observation car and the engines A and B unit are still missing. But with your gorgeous Version ahead, I should definitely start to finish it.

I love the livery, and in 8-wide, like you did, it has this extra on details I can never reach with building 6-wide. But I am fine with that.

 

Thank You for showing this beauty :thumbup:

 

P.S. One strenuous appeal: Please dont do any scandinavian or canadian trains within the next year, that could ruin my self-confidence :sarcasm: (I really have to speed up things :wall:)

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nice long train, We should do a side by side with my City of New Orleans!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks all, I appreciate it!

--Tony

On 5/6/2019 at 10:47 AM, Rijkvv said:

A beautiful train you built there, nice to see a livery less common among MOC's. :thumbup:

The cars seem to be at scale as well, or did you use selective compression?

The cars should be just about the right size all around.  They're the exact right height for the width.  They might be a single stud too short.

On 5/6/2019 at 11:04 AM, Sérgio said:

So... 5 meters long? (i use metrical :) 

How many motors do you need on this beauty?

you did a excellent job!

Right now there are 2 PF train motors in the A unit only.  At the Galveston Railroad Museum train show I was only running 7 coaches, but we also had an issue with the room we were in having a very noticeable tilt.  So on level track, and lubricated bearings, I *might* be able to get away with only the two PF motors.  I will test this at Brickworld.

However the B unit was built specifically to allow installation of motors, so if I need to, I will add two more motors.

On 5/6/2019 at 5:39 PM, Toastie said:

This is truly breathtaking. Congratulations!

And - as before - I simply admire how you turned your rather "not building boxes on wheels" comments ages ago into a "beautiful box with so many details that it may actually catch-up with steamers - and on wheels".

Amazing. The color scheme is also very, very nice.

Question: Did an actual FP7 with one B-unit attached pull the corresponding 5 meters of coaches or is it because of the power of (at least) two 9V motors?

This is so great!

Best
Thorsten 

Most Texas Eagles we're actually pulled by EMD E7 units - an A and a B - and the Texas & Pacific F7 units were relegated to freight (with an all dark blue with single white stripe livery).  However F7A locomotive 1500 was painted in the Eagle livery, and I didn't want to model an E7.

18 hours ago, BrickMusher said:

Outch, that hurts.

My Colorado Eagle ist stil WIP.

And now I am outpaced by Tony Sava. Everybody will think I blundly copied your work or at least your idea :cry_sad:

http://47798889761_d8f975fefc_c.jpgColorado Eagle med. by Brick Musher, auf Flickr

 

Well, I started with that four or five years ago, so there was plenty of time for me to finish it. Somhow I lost sight of it, so the observation car and the engines A and B unit are still missing. But with your gorgeous Version ahead, I should definitely start to finish it.

I love the livery, and in 8-wide, like you did, it has this extra on details I can never reach with building 6-wide. But I am fine with that.

 

Thank You for showing this beauty :thumbup:

 

P.S. One strenuous appeal: Please dont do any scandinavian or canadian trains within the next year, that could ruin my self-confidence :sarcasm: (I really have to speed up things :wall:)

 

 

 

I don't think anyone will think you are copying me.  I hope you finish your project, it looks like you have made good progress thus far.  

My next MOC will either be a modern diesel locomotive I found out my company owns, or a Texas & Pacific Mikado called "the Moccasin", so no worries.  :D

 

--Tony

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.