Wellesley

[PA CUP - Cat B - Class 2] Lydia

Hey fellow Corries,

finally another ship for you. The Lydia, an outdated trading vessel, now sailed by three old marine veterans, outdated like herself. As one of them is a navigational expert, they want to create new nautical maps and collect data of star movements.

I already have a class 2 ship in the race, so I want to ask, if this vessel with 28 studs length (without bowsprit) could count as a small class 3? Otherwise I will put her out of the race.

Her stats:
R  M  G  C  $  H
3   4   0   0  4  1

She is a fabric of fantasy and some inspiration taken from paintings and models. The rig is not finished a 100%, but enough to be photogenic I think. Important are the absent braces. I probably will remove the buntlines in the future. Also the sheets are not properly belayed.

46871853485_a98c35c8eb_n.jpg 32844708837_94a811aa04_n.jpg 46871857995_5e287d2057_n.jpg

46871855155_a61a28909e_n.jpg 32844707387_4a902ba0c0_n.jpg

Greetings and good luck for the race!
Wellesley

Edited by Wellesley

Nice one, especially the rigging! Also really nice use of pieces you got there. Can you tell us more about the stressing of the bricks at the curves or the lack of stress if that's the case? 

Oh, and it's a class 2 alright! whatever you want it to be if we are talking about downgrading

Edited by blackdeathgr

@kurigan Lol, didn't know that. Nice one:P "The most geeelorious creaturevessel under the sun...queen of them all"
I had to come up with a name real quick and remembered this one from Hornblower.

1 hour ago, blackdeathgr said:

Also really nice use of pieces you got there. Can you tell us more about the stressing of the bricks at the curves or the lack of stress if that's the case?  

Well, first you would like to look here: Nuisance

I just used clips attached to this one at the bow and to two of these with three studs between them at the stern. The rest happened automatically, no need for further fixation. (Wow, just found out about these. I used to know all the bricks as a child, nowadays surely less than even the half)

The size of the foresails is quite big in comparison to the lateen sails. Guess I saved my a** again with going for a fantasy rig.

I like what you've done with the design/technique.

Where did you get your rubber bands, them seem pretty well stretched? Mine were extra big; I recycled them from packs of shopping bags from when I worked at Game Stop in the last age.

The bent yards were something I was considering a while ago and wasn't sure how I'd pull it off. I'm guessing these are Technic connectors over flex tub? They work great. Even the flange in the middle of each look like those characteristic bands. 

I think a third smaller "spanker" right aft would look great. Right now she seems a bit front heavy. Set all the way back at the stern post something like the image below, though you didn't use the extended deck, would be pretty handy.

Lateen_rigging_fig_6.png 

@blackdeathgr in this case only the Lego pre-fab shrouds are under tension and I've found that, given a moment to relax, spring right back to true once released. The plates are kept in place by the rubber bands. Follow the link, I talk about all this in some detail over there. Now the Bumblebee Technique, looks similar but is an entirely different animal. There, gaining any useful measure of curvature requires a bit of stressing of the bricks, though less than you might imagine. For one the plates seem to have more tolerance and if you put too much tension on them they want to fall apart. If you don't want to take my word for it, ask @Phred who suffered the privilege of having to reassemble the original after the USPS put the both of them through every sorting machine form here to Chicago, with a few drop kicks for good measure, i'm sure. Just to serve fair credit and full disclosure, here's my original inspiration, the "Pimp you IMTP" contest from many years ago. You'll have to scroll down to find it, but look for @SlyOwl's entry to see where the idea came from initially. 

8 hours ago, kurigan said:

Where did you get your rubber bands, them seem pretty well stretched?

That's what my mom's kitchen had in stock:D The upper one has a perfect size, I'm only concerned about its age. Starts to being a bit crumbly. The lower ones are stretched to the max, will definately have to change them. I was searching my home the last days, but nearly don't have any rubber bands at all.

Right now she seems a bit front heavy.

Yep, that was my impression, too. Thanks for the idea with the extend deck, will try that out.

I'm guessing these are Technic connectors over flex tub?

Exactly. There seems to exist two kinds of them, some could easily be put over the hoses, some wouldn't even work with force. Using the connectors with a ball at one side, helps to prevent the connectors from sliding off and attaching the sail will make the whole construct firm. Otherwise you will have a problem at the transition points from one hose to another. Yeah, the flanges are great help to strain the "Reihleine", which I only know in German. Anyways, it is the rope, used to attach the sail to the yard.

3 hours ago, Captain Braunsfeld said:

New building style? Fascinating and clever!

Won't take that compliment.

3 hours ago, Captain Braunsfeld said:

And great rigging too! :thumbup:

But this one, thanks!

Looks very good! Good job with the rigging.

As to the class, I think it qualifies to a class 3, maybe on the small side, but it's largely compensated by the quality of the build.

That's a strong hull, but a nice shape... with a nice rigging... what parts did you use to shape the inside (before pasting the 4x2 blue plates ? something brown)