Sign in to follow this  
paupadros

[MOC] Bilbao Skyline

It's been a while since I posted a MOC, but I've been working behind the scenes to bring new projects. I'd been wanting to do a model of the Guggenheim Museum in Bilbao for quite a long time, but had never got around to doing it. A recent trip to the city of Bilbao reignited that idea, but also made me realise the diversity of Bilbao and how well-suited it would be for an Architecture Skyline set.

I therefore set off, trying to make the best buildings possible in the finest layout, but making them within a piece margin (none less than 300 pieces and none more than 600), as if I were to be a real designer. The final model has 415 pieces right in between Sydney and Chicago at an estimate price of ~ $40.

33901264888_ee45098fe6_c.jpg

I've tried to make the buildings like real designers would, but I also added some smaller low-height structures like a metro entrance (a "fosterito"), and two sculptures "Maman", by Louise Bourgeois and "Tall Tree and the Eye" by Anish Kapoor. Here are all the buildings and structures included:

40812022433_327e9ddb97_c.jpg

By clicking the image, you can find an interactive image in Flickr with links to images of the real buildings.

Some information of the structures chosen

Guggenheim Bilbao Museoa: A must-have. Gehry is the closest we have today to an artist-architect, so his work in general is something I adore. The Guggenheim is, without a doubt, his finest work. Building this small model was rather tough, because I couldn't pull off all the angles in Gehry's building and opted for a more simplified and less realistic version. I'm particularly proud of the tallest point in the build, the one that, in the real building, gives to the atrium a flower-shaped ceiling, as I've been able to tilt it using a sausage element! This was rendered in Blender using the magnificent Mecabricks material palette. I chose the "Silver Ink" colour, which is one that is applied on other pieces that has sort of a grainy surface. I changed slightly the material of the template to give it a warmer, yellower tone.

"Maman" and "Tall Tree and the Eye" are the sculptures located on the side of the Guggenheim that faces "la ría". Both Bourgeois and Kapoor's sculptures have single pieces in Lego that represent them well, one a spider, the other the ice cream cone piece. I wanted to add "Puppy" by Jeff Koons, but I had no space for it as, in real life, it sits on the opposite side of the museum, and I found no good way of representing its flowery surface.

40812023633_f811af4743_c.jpg

Iberdrola Dorrea: This tower is the tallest on the whole Basque Country and is quite imposing. I must admit that I think it's too close together to the Guggenheim, but the tower itself is very pretty and contrasts it nicely. Unlike in official skylines, these two buildings and Isozaki Atea are positioned exactly like in real life. The real tower has the shape of an isosceles tringle with rounded sides, which I translated with the piece 6575 (https://brickset.com/parts/design-6575).

Isozaki Atea: These towers are a product of what is called the "Guggenheim effect", architects of worldwide importance building projects around the Guggenheim. I chose these two towers as they have quite an impact on Bilbao's skyline and because the unaligned buildings on the bottom part as just very interesting. Isozaki Atea is comprised of several other buildings of less interest.

Carola Garabia: After so many modern buildings, I had to somehow represent Bilbao's industrial past. Bilbao was famous for the iron manufacturing that took place, especially the boatmaking industry. This red crane is located on an old shipyard (in real Bilbao, it would be right of Iberdrola Tower). The crane adds a splash of colour to an otherwise rather dull-coloured skyline. The crane gets its name from a woman named "Carola", who always walked across the bridge in front of the shipyard. She was apparently so beautiful that the workers stopped working just to admire her.

"Fosterito" (Bilbao metro entrance): Sir Norman Foster, the architect and engineer is responsible for the design of the Bilbao metro. One of the most recognisable features of his design are the glass curved metro entrances that locals have nicknamed "fosteritos", honouring him.

46989065014_0c52a1b311_c.jpg

Note: The names are in Basque, the original language of the Basque Country before Spanish became official.

Note 2: I promise I’m working on a new modular, it’s been a while since I posted Disco 2000.

Note 3: This was built in LDD and Mecabricks and rendered in Blender. A 3D model can be found here: https://www.mecabricks.com/en/models/KZvm9MeQvG6

Hope you like this model, but please, if you don't like something, just say it and be honest; it's the only way for me to become a better builder.

Have a nice day!

Edited by paupadros

I love the way you've built the Guggenheim; it's a lovely building and you've really portrayed it well. The inclusion of the fosterito is a brilliant touch too! :classic:

Great skyline model! I made a bigger version of the Guggenheim Museum some time ago but this small model is really cute. Wish there were more metallic parts available. :)

17 hours ago, TheL390Man said:

I love the way you've built the Guggenheim; it's a lovely building and you've really portrayed it well. The inclusion of the fosterito is a brilliant touch too! :classic:

Thanks @TheL390Man! Some of the shapes are simplified but I think it does the trick! I love the smaller monuments they put to these sets so much (like the "Bean" in the Chicago one or the sections of Berlin Wall) that I populated mine with those. The fosterito was a must-have (I was a bit disappointed when the Paris skyline didn't feature a Guimard metro entrace :cry_sad:!). In fact, the sculpture that in my model is depicted in a chrome ice cream cone is by Anish Kapoor, the same sculptor that did the "Cloud Gate" or "Bean" in Chicago. Glad you like it!

17 hours ago, t-brick said:

Great skyline model! I made a bigger version of the Guggenheim Museum some time ago but this small model is really cute. Wish there were more metallic parts available. :)

Thanks @t-brick , in fact, I based some of my shapes on your rendition. The idea for this model actually came when wanting to make the Guggenheim as a stand-alone model, but I saw your model and decided to so something different. To build a model like yours (and mine) you need to know the building very well and I bet you spotted all my cheats right out of the box! I have the advantadge of it being a digital model and, therefore, not needing any parts to be in current production, but I definitely agree, it's quite annoying when they used light bluish grey in an obviously metallic surface (say, certian car bumpers). Have a great day! :classic:

Oh wow. I remember looking at your modular buildings weeks ago before I made an account. They were great and the skyline is amazing too.

Gonna have to go look up what all the buildings are. I wonder if the Guggenheim is a Frank Gehry building because that's a crazy collection of surfaces.... three seconds of googling later and yep! it sure is.

10 hours ago, corasaur said:

Oh wow. I remember looking at your modular buildings weeks ago before I made an account. They were great and the skyline is amazing too.

Gonna have to go look up what all the buildings are. I wonder if the Guggenheim is a Frank Gehry building because that's a crazy collection of surfaces.... three seconds of googling later and yep! it sure is.

Thanks! It means a lot that someone from far away actually cares about what one does! :blush: All I strive for is innovative use of Lego, even if I base my designs off real Lego product standards. The Guggenheim is mesmerisingly beautiful. In fact, Gehry based it off the design he did for the Walt Disney Concert Hall in LA that got cancelled. Funnily enough, because the Guggenheim became such an icon, Disney reignited that abandoned project and is now completed. Funny how things work out sometimes. :sweet:

In Gehry, where some see craziness, I see the product of millions of ideas processed by a very special mind. Gehry is for architecture what Kandinsky tried to be for painting. Some of my models try to capture his magic (Klee Corner for instance)

Glad you like it!

7 hours ago, paupadros said:

Thanks! It means a lot that someone from far away actually cares about what one does! :blush: All I strive for is innovative use of Lego, even if I base my designs off real Lego product standards. The Guggenheim is mesmerisingly beautiful. In fact, Gehry based it off the design he did for the Walt Disney Concert Hall in LA that got cancelled. Funnily enough, because the Guggenheim became such an icon, Disney reignited that abandoned project and is now completed. Funny how things work out sometimes. :sweet:

In Gehry, where some see craziness, I see the product of millions of ideas processed by a very special mind. Gehry is for architecture what Kandinsky tried to be for painting. Some of my models try to capture his magic (Klee Corner for instance)

Glad you like it!

I knew of Gehry's design for the LA concert hall, though i didn't know that full story behind Gehry's design. I was more familiar with Gehry from this building, though:

csail-web_168.jpg

MIT"s Stata Center.

18 hours ago, corasaur said:

I knew of Gehry's design for the LA concert hall, though i didn't know that full story behind Gehry's design. I was more familiar with Gehry from this building, though:

csail-web_168.jpg

MIT"s Stata Center.

One of my favourites too. I love how he manages to synthesize in one building, almost ten buildings. It sort of has a "campus" feel, yet it's a single building! I read there have been some leaks in this building, of which Gehry was acknowledged of probable appearance but denied to modify the project. Seems unfortunate. Nonetheless, the architecture is stunning!

3 hours ago, paupadros said:

One of my favourites too. I love how he manages to synthesize in one building, almost ten buildings. It sort of has a "campus" feel, yet it's a single building! I read there have been some leaks in this building, of which Gehry was acknowledged of probable appearance but denied to modify the project. Seems unfortunate. Nonetheless, the architecture is stunning!

It is pretty fragmented for a single building. Gotta be sure you're taking the right elevator upstairs or you might not be able to reach your destination. Kinda a cluster of towers branching up from a big common space.

Interesting shapes and i can see you pulled it off well, but i don't think i life the source material. I'm not adventurous enough to understand it i guess.

But the whole skyline looks great. 

I do prefer models i can build with real bricks for the challenge. But using non production parts fits help add the realism.

NIce build! The crane looks great, and a very interesting build for the The Guggenheim!

17 hours ago, LEGO Train 12 Volts said:

There are some details in this set that make it really appealing: "maman" by Louise Bourgeois and the "tall tree and the eye"

The red crane is amazing too!

Thanks! Definitely, the smaller details are what make these sets come to life. I remeber looking at the real Guggenheim and thinking: "the spider piece and the ice cream top would be perfect to recreate those scupltures. And they are! :classic:

10 hours ago, TheLegoDr said:

Interesting shapes and i can see you pulled it off well, but i don't think i life the source material. I'm not adventurous enough to understand it i guess.

But the whole skyline looks great. 

I do prefer models i can build with real bricks for the challenge. But using non production parts fits help add the realism.

Thanks! I think that the more we see, the more we're able to understand. In that sense, seeing new things makes is think about life. I've always opted for non-production colours to achieve a better non-buildable model before a buildable, with 100% production colours. For me, having to limit myself ot the current palette is utterly frustrating, even when I'm building models that I want to build in real life.

7 hours ago, Reaper said:

NIce build! The crane looks great, and a very interesting build for the The Guggenheim!

Thanks! The crane adds a welcome splash of colour to an otherwise too grey/blue/black model. I think the Guggenheim turned out surprisingly well! The shapes are drastically simplified, but that's one of the advantages of working on a small scale; if a shape is very complex, you can just Lego-ise it and water it down a bit. I really like how the uppermost section is joint using a sausage! :sweet: Plus, thanks to @Scrubs' awesome add-on for Blender, and especially the new material for the "Silver Ink" colour, the skin of the Guggeniem Museum looks absolutely gorgeous.

Thanks for these three comments, they mean a lot to me!

Edited by paupadros

I couldn't love more this MOC!!! Well, I am from Bilbao. Since the Guggheim museum of NY was included in a set, I am waiting to see something with Bilbao. I love all the buildings included. In fact, it is difficult to include Puppy as it is on the opposite side of the museum, and not watching to the estuary (la ria). Good idea to include the ice cream part for the stainless steel balls. Include also Calatrava's White Bridge (zubizuri) in front of the Isozaki towers.

The unique defect: as I love the Metro (subway) of Bilbao (I also participated in its construction), I think that the entrance, the "Fosterito", should be bigger, even if it is not scaled when compared with the other buildings.

Thanks for producing such a beauty!! Present it to LEGO Ideas contest...I will give all my votes!!

16 hours ago, Herisanmi said:

I couldn't love more this MOC!!! Well, I am from Bilbao. Since the Guggheim museum of NY was included in a set, I am waiting to see something with Bilbao. I love all the buildings included. In fact, it is difficult to include Puppy as it is on the opposite side of the museum, and not watching to the estuary (la ria). Good idea to include the ice cream part for the stainless steel balls. Include also Calatrava's White Bridge (zubizuri) in front of the Isozaki towers.

The unique defect: as I love the Metro (subway) of Bilbao (I also participated in its construction), I think that the entrance, the "Fosterito", should be bigger, even if it is not scaled when compared with the other buildings.

Thanks for producing such a beauty!! Present it to LEGO Ideas contest...I will give all my votes!!

Thanks for such an awesome comment! The one thing I feared was representing the newer Bilbao too well and leaving behind the industrial background, do you think it's a nice mix of new v. old? I drew a sketch for this model while at was in Bilbao about two moths ago and I drew all the elements mentioned and not included: namely Zubuzuri bridge and Puppy, but in the final model, I felt like I either had to place them somewhere they don't actually belong in (placing Puppy on the ría side of the Guggenheim would just feel awkward) or they just blocked too much the view (Zubizuri would protrude quite a bit from the model (like the Guggenheim does) and would take away that "clean" look). Plus, just out of personal taste, I dislike Calatrava's style and did not at all feel like building a sloppy bridge of his.

Metro systems are something I absoutely adore, especially Bilbao's. It's so cool you got to participate in its construction, it's very well envisioned, very well built and extremely well managed: it probably helps that Bilbao is not a gigantic metropolis, but I've never felt insecure or even angry for anything: clean and always on time. Do you know if they'll build that new extension from Matiko through Moyua to the southern suburbs? Anyway, I would have built it bigger but I couldn't find another piece that represented their unique shape as well. I always like the smaller assemblies (both sculptures and the fosterito) and the idea for a metro entrance as a monument came when in the Paris skyline they didn't include a Guimard metro entrance. :classic:

Sadly, I had a bit of an issue with Ideas and I can't submit projects blatantly with my name attached to it.

I have two questions for you:

1. Does the Carola crane look out of place left of Isozaki when, in real life, it's right of the Iberdrola tower. I chose the location purely for composition reasons; I felt that the crane felt larger next to both Isozaki towers rather than next to Iberdrola. And do you like the inclusion of the crane as a symbol of the past?
  2. Do you think the name tile should be "Bilbo | Bilbao" or simply "Bilbao"?

Thanks for such a cool comment :wub: Have an awesome (and probably rainy) day!

On ‎5‎/‎24‎/‎2019 at 2:21 PM, paupadros said:

Thanks for such an awesome comment! The one thing I feared was representing the newer Bilbao too well and leaving behind the industrial background, do you think it's a nice mix of new v. old? I drew a sketch for this model while at was in Bilbao about two moths ago and I drew all the elements mentioned and not included: namely Zubuzuri bridge and Puppy, but in the final model, I felt like I either had to place them somewhere they don't actually belong in (placing Puppy on the ría side of the Guggenheim would just feel awkward) or they just blocked too much the view (Zubizuri would protrude quite a bit from the model (like the Guggenheim does) and would take away that "clean" look). Plus, just out of personal taste, I dislike Calatrava's style and did not at all feel like building a sloppy bridge of his. 

Metro systems are something I absoutely adore, especially Bilbao's. It's so cool you got to participate in its construction, it's very well envisioned, very well built and extremely well managed: it probably helps that Bilbao is not a gigantic metropolis, but I've never felt insecure or even angry for anything: clean and always on time. Do you know if they'll build that new extension from Matiko through Moyua to the southern suburbs? Anyway, I would have built it bigger but I couldn't find another piece that represented their unique shape as well. I always like the smaller assemblies (both sculptures and the fosterito) and the idea for a metro entrance as a monument came when in the Paris skyline they didn't include a Guimard metro entrance:classic:

Sadly, I had a bit of an issue with Ideas and I can't submit projects blatantly with my name attached to it.

I have two questions for you:

1. Does the Carola crane look out of place left of Isozaki when, in real life, it's right of the Iberdrola tower. I chose the location purely for composition reasons; I felt that the crane felt larger next to both Isozaki towers rather than next to Iberdrola. And do you like the inclusion of the crane as a symbol of the past? 
  2. Do you think the name tile should be "Bilbo | Bilbao" or simply "Bilbao"?

Thanks for such a cool comment :wub: Have an awesome (and probably rainy) day! 

First of all, sorry for my late response. I read your answer to my comments but I i did not have time till today. Thanks for loving so much Bilbao as one from here.

You are right. Puppy on the side to the estuary looks strange. And I also like you answer for not including the Zubi Zuri (The White Bridge): We also hate Bilbao. He made a slippery bridge in a city where it rains a lot. We incorporated a carpet not to fall down.

And with regard to the metro entrance, yes, you are also right. It is the only possible part to represent its shape.

With regard to your questions:

1. Yes, the inclusión of the Carola crane is a great idea. It represent the past of Bilbao and it has become a monument for us. I show it to all the people who visit Bilbao. With regard to the sequence of the monuments, this one would be better: Metro entrance, Isozaki Gate, Guggenheim Museum, Iberdrola tower and Carola crane. It represents the normal flow of the estuary (the metro entrance would represent the one of Abando, and the rest is the same if you go from the Town Hall to the sea. I think placing the crane near the Iberdrola Tower compensate the composition, and the Museum would be in the middle, underlining its importance. I do not know if it would be correct with regard to the baseplate.

2. About the name, Bilbo / Bilbao sounds better. It remarks the two oficial languages, although Bilbao is used in the world.

Submit it to Lego Ideas!!!

21 hours ago, Herisanmi said:

First of all, sorry for my late response. I read your answer to my comments but I i did not have time till today. Thanks for loving so much Bilbao as one from here.

You are right. Puppy on the side to the estuary looks strange. And I also like you answer for not including the Zubi Zuri (The White Bridge): We also hate Bilbao. He made a slippery bridge in a city where it rains a lot. We incorporated a carpet not to fall down.

And with regard to the metro entrance, yes, you are also right. It is the only possible part to represent its shape.

With regard to your questions:

1. Yes, the inclusión of the Carola crane is a great idea. It represent the past of Bilbao and it has become a monument for us. I show it to all the people who visit Bilbao. With regard to the sequence of the monuments, this one would be better: Metro entrance, Isozaki Gate, Guggenheim Museum, Iberdrola tower and Carola crane. It represents the normal flow of the estuary (the metro entrance would represent the one of Abando, and the rest is the same if you go from the Town Hall to the sea. I think placing the crane near the Iberdrola Tower compensate the composition, and the Museum would be in the middle, underlining its importance. I do not know if it would be correct with regard to the baseplate.

2. About the name, Bilbo / Bilbao sounds better. It remarks the two oficial languages, although Bilbao is used in the world.

Submit it to Lego Ideas!!!

No worries! :classic:

I had a feeling Calatrava's design was not something you liked that much. Didn't he sue someone for some modifications made in it? Maybe they should think about actually building a decent one; when I went there, I was genuinely scared of the wobble of the bridge. And yeah, the carpet just proves how big of a narcissist he can be.

About the layout, maybe you're right. I think it's one of the few cities where the skyline actually corresponds to what you could see (there's no big buildings behind those in fron frow from the mountainous side of la ría). I tried it, but Isozaki at the end just seemed... odd... in a way. Mostly because it has a rectangular shape while Iberdrola is rounded and centers your eye towards the Guggenheim, the Isozaki gate detracted from the model in the whole (it felt a bit like a sharp cut, if that makes any sense :sceptic:). And the name, I sometimes enjoy messing with people speaking about "Bilbo" and they don't know what it is. How common is it to hear the Basque name (if at all common, I don't know).

As I've said, I had a bit of a row with the Ideas team and I've been kindly asked not to upload anything there.

On ‎6‎/‎10‎/‎2019 at 4:18 PM, paupadros said:

No worries! :classic:

I had a feeling Calatrava's design was not something you liked that much. Didn't he sue someone for some modifications made in it? Maybe they should think about actually building a decent one; when I went there, I was genuinely scared of the wobble of the bridge. And yeah, the carpet just proves how big of a narcissist he can be.

About the layout, maybe you're right. I think it's one of the few cities where the skyline actually corresponds to what you could see (there's no big buildings behind those in fron frow from the mountainous side of la ría). I tried it, but Isozaki at the end just seemed... odd... in a way. Mostly because it has a rectangular shape while Iberdrola is rounded and centers your eye towards the Guggenheim, the Isozaki gate detracted from the model in the whole (it felt a bit like a sharp cut, if that makes any sense :sceptic:). And the name, I sometimes enjoy messing with people speaking about "Bilbo" and they don't know what it is. How common is it to hear the Basque name (if at all common, I don't know).

As I've said, I had a bit of a row with the Ideas team and I've been kindly asked not to upload anything there.

Yes, we do not like Calatrava. The major added a smal bridge to the Zubizuri, to get connected with the Isozaki towers and included the carpet, and sued Calatrava for designing a slippery bridge in a rainy city. Then, Calatrava sued the major for adding that small bridge, because "his work must be regarded as a masterpiece and if you add something the essence of the art is distorted" (like adding something to Leonardo's Mona Lisa, let say). So they have sued each other. I do not know the final of these processes.

Perhaps, it looks odd Isozaki's towers at the end of the MOC, but it is not at the end, the first one is the Metro entrance. However, I think it is better finishing with the Carola crane, not to leave Iberdrola tower, the tallest building in an extreme of the MOC.

Obviously, Bilbo is used when speaking in Basque, but sometimes, even speaking in Spanish, people from here say Bilbao, in sentences like: I go to Bilbo (in Spanish it is always Bilbao).

If you are not sending to Ideas, could you please send me the instructions? I would get all the pieces in Bricklink to complete it (herisanmilazio@hotmail.com). I will always mention you as the author of this outstanding creations!!! Thanks

18 hours ago, Herisanmi said:

If you are not sending to Ideas, could you please send me the instructions? I would get all the pieces in Bricklink to complete it (herisanmilazio@hotmail.com). I will always mention you as the author of this outstanding creations!!! Thanks

Super interesting answer. Not all the pieces I used exist in their colours and I have no instructions, but I can send you the .ldd file so you can change hte pieces that don't exist. Important: the Guggenheim is built using the "Silver Ink" colour (https://brickset.com/parts/colour-Silver-Ink), as, you know, it can get a bit confusing with the silver colours :classic:. There's part in non-existing colours in all the structures, if you have issues changing things, just tell me!

5 hours ago, paupadros said:

Super interesting answer. Not all the pieces I used exist in their colours and I have no instructions, but I can send you the .ldd file so you can change hte pieces that don't exist. Important: the Guggenheim is built using the "Silver Ink" colour (https://brickset.com/parts/colour-Silver-Ink), as, you know, it can get a bit confusing with the silver colours :classic:. There's part in non-existing colours in all the structures, if you have issues changing things, just tell me!

That is what I thought: not all the pieces exist in their colours!! Where are a metallic ice cream and a brown spider used? I will do the best I can and depending on the offer in Bricklink (if there is not there, nobody sells it). I have not used programs for preparing MOCs, but if you send me the file .ldd, I will download the necessary program (please, include a link to download it). I will rely on sellers in Brickling when asking for pieces in Silver-Ink!!

A final question: how did you get the non existing pieces?? Did you paint them?

17 hours ago, Herisanmi said:

That is what I thought: not all the pieces exist in their colours!! Where are a metallic ice cream and a brown spider used? I will do the best I can and depending on the offer in Bricklink (if there is not there, nobody sells it). I have not used programs for preparing MOCs, but if you send me the file .ldd, I will download the necessary program (please, include a link to download it). I will rely on sellers in Brickling when asking for pieces in Silver-Ink!!

A final question: how did you get the non existing pieces?? Did you paint them?

I've sent the .ldd file to your mail. The pieces that are not on that Brickset link do not exist at all, so don't even bother looking for them. It's a 3D rendering done using Mecabricks and its converter to Blender, where I rendered it. That's why I could use pieces that don't exist, I could just take a piece and colour it however I wanted it :laugh:

Why the heck does that house look like that? OK whatever that is the coolest build I have ever seen in micro scale. Amazing job, it's incredible.

21 hours ago, HistoryGuy said:

Why the heck does that house look like that? OK whatever that is the coolest build I have ever seen in micro scale. Amazing job, it's incredible.

Why shouldn’t it look like that? :classic: Ask that to Gehry, not to me. Thank you!