Sign in to follow this  
paupadros

[MOC] Bilbao Skyline

Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)

It's been a while since I posted a MOC, but I've been working behind the scenes to bring new projects. I'd been wanting to do a model of the Guggenheim Museum in Bilbao for quite a long time, but had never got around to doing it. A recent trip to the city of Bilbao reignited that idea, but also made me realise the diversity of Bilbao and how well-suited it would be for an Architecture Skyline set.

I therefore set off, trying to make the best buildings possible in the finest layout, but making them within a piece margin (none less than 300 pieces and none more than 600), as if I were to be a real designer. The final model has 415 pieces right in between Sydney and Chicago at an estimate price of ~ $40.

33901264888_ee45098fe6_c.jpg

I've tried to make the buildings like real designers would, but I also added some smaller low-height structures like a metro entrance (a "fosterito"), and two sculptures "Maman", by Louise Bourgeois and "Tall Tree and the Eye" by Anish Kapoor. Here are all the buildings and structures included:

40812022433_327e9ddb97_c.jpg

By clicking the image, you can find an interactive image in Flickr with links to images of the real buildings.

Some information of the structures chosen

Guggenheim Bilbao Museoa: A must-have. Gehry is the closest we have today to an artist-architect, so his work in general is something I adore. The Guggenheim is, without a doubt, his finest work. Building this small model was rather tough, because I couldn't pull off all the angles in Gehry's building and opted for a more simplified and less realistic version. I'm particularly proud of the tallest point in the build, the one that, in the real building, gives to the atrium a flower-shaped ceiling, as I've been able to tilt it using a sausage element! This was rendered in Blender using the magnificent Mecabricks material palette. I chose the "Silver Ink" colour, which is one that is applied on other pieces that has sort of a grainy surface. I changed slightly the material of the template to give it a warmer, yellower tone.

"Maman" and "Tall Tree and the Eye" are the sculptures located on the side of the Guggenheim that faces "la ría". Both Bourgeois and Kapoor's sculptures have single pieces in Lego that represent them well, one a spider, the other the ice cream cone piece. I wanted to add "Puppy" by Jeff Koons, but I had no space for it as, in real life, it sits on the opposite side of the museum, and I found no good way of representing its flowery surface.

40812023633_f811af4743_c.jpg

Iberdrola Dorrea: This tower is the tallest on the whole Basque Country and is quite imposing. I must admit that I think it's too close together to the Guggenheim, but the tower itself is very pretty and contrasts it nicely. Unlike in official skylines, these two buildings and Isozaki Atea are positioned exactly like in real life. The real tower has the shape of an isosceles tringle with rounded sides, which I translated with the piece 6575 (https://brickset.com/parts/design-6575).

Isozaki Atea: These towers are a product of what is called the "Guggenheim effect", architects of worldwide importance building projects around the Guggenheim. I chose these two towers as they have quite an impact on Bilbao's skyline and because the unaligned buildings on the bottom part as just very interesting. Isozaki Atea is comprised of several other buildings of less interest.

Carola Garabia: After so many modern buildings, I had to somehow represent Bilbao's industrial past. Bilbao was famous for the iron manufacturing that took place, especially the boatmaking industry. This red crane is located on an old shipyard (in real Bilbao, it would be right of Iberdrola Tower). The crane adds a splash of colour to an otherwise rather dull-coloured skyline. The crane gets its name from a woman named "Carola", who always walked across the bridge in front of the shipyard. She was apparently so beautiful that the workers stopped working just to admire her.

"Fosterito" (Bilbao metro entrance): Sir Norman Foster, the architect and engineer is responsible for the design of the Bilbao metro. One of the most recognisable features of his design are the glass curved metro entrances that locals have nicknamed "fosteritos", honouring him.

46989065014_0c52a1b311_c.jpg


Note: The names are in Basque, the original language of the Basque Country before Spanish became official.

Note 2: I promise I’m working on a new modular, it’s been a while since I posted Disco 2000.

Note 3: This was built in LDD and Mecabricks and rendered in Blender. A 3D model can be found here: https://www.mecabricks.com/en/models/KZvm9MeQvG6

Hope you like this model, but please, if you don't like something, just say it and be honest; it's the only way for me to become a better builder.

Have a nice day!

Edited by paupadros

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I love the way you've built the Guggenheim; it's a lovely building and you've really portrayed it well. The inclusion of the fosterito is a brilliant touch too! :classic:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Great skyline model! I made a bigger version of the Guggenheim Museum some time ago but this small model is really cute. Wish there were more metallic parts available. :)

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, TheL390Man said:

I love the way you've built the Guggenheim; it's a lovely building and you've really portrayed it well. The inclusion of the fosterito is a brilliant touch too! :classic:

Thanks @TheL390Man! Some of the shapes are simplified but I think it does the trick! I love the smaller monuments they put to these sets so much (like the "Bean" in the Chicago one or the sections of Berlin Wall) that I populated mine with those. The fosterito was a must-have (I was a bit disappointed when the Paris skyline didn't feature a Guimard metro entrace :cry_sad:!). In fact, the sculpture that in my model is depicted in a chrome ice cream cone is by Anish Kapoor, the same sculptor that did the "Cloud Gate" or "Bean" in Chicago. Glad you like it!

17 hours ago, t-brick said:

Great skyline model! I made a bigger version of the Guggenheim Museum some time ago but this small model is really cute. Wish there were more metallic parts available. :)

 

Thanks @t-brick , in fact, I based some of my shapes on your rendition. The idea for this model actually came when wanting to make the Guggenheim as a stand-alone model, but I saw your model and decided to so something different. To build a model like yours (and mine) you need to know the building very well and I bet you spotted all my cheats right out of the box! I have the advantadge of it being a digital model and, therefore, not needing any parts to be in current production, but I definitely agree, it's quite annoying when they used light bluish grey in an obviously metallic surface (say, certian car bumpers). Have a great day! :classic:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Oh wow. I remember looking at your modular buildings weeks ago before I made an account. They were great and the skyline is amazing too.

 

Gonna have to go look up what all the buildings are. I wonder if the Guggenheim is a Frank Gehry building because that's a crazy collection of surfaces.... three seconds of googling later and yep! it sure is.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, corasaur said:

Oh wow. I remember looking at your modular buildings weeks ago before I made an account. They were great and the skyline is amazing too.

Gonna have to go look up what all the buildings are. I wonder if the Guggenheim is a Frank Gehry building because that's a crazy collection of surfaces.... three seconds of googling later and yep! it sure is.

Thanks! It means a lot that someone from far away actually cares about what one does! :blush: All I strive for is innovative use of Lego, even if I base my designs off real Lego product standards. The Guggenheim is mesmerisingly beautiful. In fact, Gehry based it off the design he did for the Walt Disney Concert Hall in LA that got cancelled. Funnily enough, because the Guggenheim became such an icon, Disney reignited that abandoned project and is now completed. Funny how things work out sometimes. :sweet:

In Gehry, where some see craziness, I see the product of millions of ideas processed by a very special mind. Gehry is for architecture what Kandinsky tried to be for painting. Some of my models try to capture his magic (Klee Corner for instance)

Glad you like it!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, paupadros said:

Thanks! It means a lot that someone from far away actually cares about what one does! :blush: All I strive for is innovative use of Lego, even if I base my designs off real Lego product standards. The Guggenheim is mesmerisingly beautiful. In fact, Gehry based it off the design he did for the Walt Disney Concert Hall in LA that got cancelled. Funnily enough, because the Guggenheim became such an icon, Disney reignited that abandoned project and is now completed. Funny how things work out sometimes. :sweet:

In Gehry, where some see craziness, I see the product of millions of ideas processed by a very special mind. Gehry is for architecture what Kandinsky tried to be for painting. Some of my models try to capture his magic (Klee Corner for instance)

Glad you like it!

I knew of Gehry's design for the LA concert hall, though i didn't know that full story behind Gehry's design. I was more familiar with Gehry from this building, though:

 

csail-web_168.jpg

MIT"s Stata Center.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, corasaur said:

I knew of Gehry's design for the LA concert hall, though i didn't know that full story behind Gehry's design. I was more familiar with Gehry from this building, though:

 

csail-web_168.jpg

MIT"s Stata Center.

One of my favourites too. I love how he manages to synthesize in one building, almost ten buildings. It sort of has a "campus" feel, yet it's a single building! I read there have been some leaks in this building, of which Gehry was acknowledged of probable appearance but denied to modify the project. Seems unfortunate. Nonetheless, the architecture is stunning!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, paupadros said:

One of my favourites too. I love how he manages to synthesize in one building, almost ten buildings. It sort of has a "campus" feel, yet it's a single building! I read there have been some leaks in this building, of which Gehry was acknowledged of probable appearance but denied to modify the project. Seems unfortunate. Nonetheless, the architecture is stunning!

It is pretty fragmented for a single building. Gotta be sure you're taking the right elevator upstairs or you might not be able to reach your destination. Kinda a cluster of towers branching up from a big common space.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.