Sign in to follow this  
MKJoshA

May 2019: Star Wars Landspeeder Contest

Deadline Update! New Deadline is June 16th.

May the 4th be with you! Has your landspeeder been collecting dust in your garage? Do you fear there's no demand for your landspeeder model? Afraid it's going to be obsolete soon? Worry no longer! We have just the thing to raise the market value of your landspeeder! The Eurobricks Landspeeder Contest! 

1280x544.jpg

If you win, you are guaranteed to raise the demand for your Landspeeder if even it's an old X-34 model. Who wouldn't want to purchase the winning speeder, right?

There are 3 categories:

Category A) Build a landspeeder.
Category B) Build a mechanic shop with at least 3 landspeeders being worked on [can use the landspeeder from Cat A] with the emphasis being on the shop.
Category C) Show a race between at least 2 landspeeders [can use landspeeders from Cat A and/or Cat B] with the emphasis being on representing the race course and terrain.

A landspeeder should be able to fit more than 1 person/minifigure comfortably. Examples of landspeeders are the X-34 that Luke drives in a New Hope, the Flash Speeder from Phantom Menace, and the M-68 Han drives at the beginning of Solo. 

Rules

• Only one entry per category is allowed per person.
  • There is no maximum or minimum size limit.
  • The contest will run from 4th May to 4th June, 201916th June, 2019. As long as it's still June 16th somewhere in the world, you can still enter.
  • Entries posted after the deadline will be disqualified.
  • There must be at least 10 entries for anyone to be eligible for prizes. If there are fewer than 10 entries, there will still be prizes, they will just not be the same as are listed in the prizes section.
  • This contest is open to all EB members, even if they joined EB after the contest has begun, with the exception of the Star Wars staff, who are not eligible to win prizes.
  • All entries must be new creations, not posted anywhere else prior to being entered in the contest. You may be asked by a staff member to change your entry if it is too similar to an earlier creation.
  • All entries must be built from real LEGO. No clone brands, no third-party custom parts. Digital entries will be allowed. All digital entries must use only existing pieces in existing colors.
  • All entries must be posted as a new topic in the Watto’s Junkyard forum, the title prefixed by, "[Landspeeder][Category ~] - entry name". (For example, "[Landspeeder][Cat C] – Jundland Waste Race".) A link must also be included in this thread for your entry to count.
  • You may do a 'full-blown photo edit' with all the text, effects, background compositing, support erasing, and other effects on one picture. All your other pictures may have no editing other than color adjustment or background removal for a solid-color background. For obvious reasons, any photo editing that changes the shape, functionality, or color (not tint or adjustment, but actual color) of a LEGO piece is prohibited. It is also prohibited to use the Lego logo in any picture.
  • All entries are considered WIPs (Works In Progress) until the deadline passes. Until the deadline has passed, you are allowed to change and improve your MOC.
  • The winners will be decided by EB members voting.

Prizes

• First place in Cat A will win 75262 Imperial Dropship
  • First place in Cat B will win 75243 Slave I
  • First place in Cat C will win 75233 Droid Gunship

At last, a new contest! And what a fun one too! Is any scale allowed?

Nice! Finally a Star Wars contest! I think I have some ideas on what to build :classic:

So you can have one entry for each catagory?

And can the speeder be something that's in-universe or not?

Edited by Reaper

I'd like to try one of these contests some time, but I'm nervous that the standard will be very high!

Does it have to be a speeder from some source material or can you invent one?

Does it have to be strictly similar to Luke's type of landspeeder, or could it be enclosed like the Ubrikkian one, for example?

16 hours ago, Oky said:

At last, a new contest! And what a fun one too! Is any scale allowed?

Yes, any scale is allowed. It does not have to be minifig scale.

9 hours ago, Reaper said:

So you can have one entry for each catagory?

And can the speeder be something that's in-universe or not?

One entry per category, but you can only win 1 prize.

The speeder should be easily recognizable as being from the SW universe. But it does not need to be from a specific movie.

3 hours ago, Retro said:

I'd like to try one of these contests some time, but I'm nervous that the standard will be very high!

Does it have to be a speeder from some source material or can you invent one?

Does it have to be strictly similar to Luke's type of landspeeder, or could it be enclosed like the Ubrikkian one, for example?

My encouragement is to always try, even if the competition is tough!  Even if you don't win you'll learn a lot.

You can invent a speeder, but one should be able to tell it's from the SW universe.

Hmm, the Ubrikkian speeder is an interesting example. It's technically allowed sonce it's labeled as a land speeder Wookieepedia. But since your fellow EB members will be the ones judging you may not get as many votes for an enclosed landspeeder. Or maybe you would! Short answer, it's allowed. If you make it look good that will go a long way.

Ohhh this looks fun, really enjoyed last years contest so hopefully I can get something done this year! Happy building everyone 

I have never posted a Star Wars MOC, but this might get me to try my hand at something. I certainly own enough SW sets and pieces...

@MKJoshA, would it be acceptable to combine the builds for Cat. B and C into one large build? Specifically, I am planning on building the interior of the shop for Cat. B, but want to build a bit of cityscape visible outside the open door of the shop (to have an immersive, all-LEGO scene); but I want to have the two speeders racing on a street for Cat. C, which would be the same street visible from the inside of the shop, and perhaps some part of the shop interior would be visible through the still-open door. Each portion of the build will be sizable (in the neighborhood of 48x48 each), but to create the immersive views some part would overlap. Could it be entered in two categories, since the view and presentation would be radically different in each?

On 5/14/2019 at 2:25 PM, Henjin_Quilones said:

@MKJoshA, would it be acceptable to combine the builds for Cat. B and C into one large build? Specifically, I am planning on building the interior of the shop for Cat. B, but want to build a bit of cityscape visible outside the open door of the shop (to have an immersive, all-LEGO scene); but I want to have the two speeders racing on a street for Cat. C, which would be the same street visible from the inside of the shop, and perhaps some part of the shop interior would be visible through the still-open door. Each portion of the build will be sizable (in the neighborhood of 48x48 each), but to create the immersive views some part would overlap. Could it be entered in two categories, since the view and presentation would be radically different in each?

Based on your description, and since I've seen your builds and I don't believe you're trying to get away with anything, I will give you a tentative "yes." It sounds ok. But you'll be safest if you can show me some WIP shots later so I can confirm.

9 hours ago, MKJoshA said:

Based on your description, and since I've seen your builds and I don't believe you're trying to get away with anything, I will give you a tentative "yes." It sounds ok. But you'll be safest if you can show me some WIP shots later so I can confirm.

Sounds good. When I get some decent progress built I'll share it with you. 

Great to be this time of year again, I love this contest! Sadly there aren’t too many SW contests anymore.

So, there’s no minumum size for the builds? Or did I miss that?

1 hour ago, naugem said:

Great to be this time of year again, I love this contest! Sadly there aren’t too many SW contests anymore.

So, there’s no minumum size for the builds? Or did I miss that?

Correct, any size goes.

27 minutes ago, MKJoshA said:

Keep the entries coming guys!

Spoiler

May the 4th Star Wars Lego Contest Update

Thank you! I'm working on mine very hard and now with the new deadline, I'll be able to build it as I imagined. I have 2 speeders full built, but the third ona and the garage is still in progress.

I had been going to ask for an extension, so this is good. I've got Cat. B almost done, and three possibilities for Cat A, and bold plans that might just work out now for Cat. C. 

I was about to complain about the extended deadline but then I thought about Matthew Chapter 20 and decided to be more gracious. :grin:

19 minutes ago, Retro said:

I was about to complain about the extended deadline but then I thought about Matthew Chapter 20 and decided to be more gracious. :grin:

Plus there needs to be at least 10 entries for the prizes to be awarded...

21 minutes ago, Henjin_Quilones said:

Plus there needs to be at least 10 entries for the prizes to be awarded...

What...there are prizes? (Joking) Yes, I know...I thought there would have been heaps of entries by now, looking at the volume of communication on the Ninjago and Technic competitions. But maybe the quiet Star Wars fans are just leaving it till the last minute...

In my years of running this contest, I can tell you that most entries are posted last minute. So I expect to hit the 10 entry number, but I wanted to make sure you all could get there.