Yes, yes yes... I am going to build another Audi:laugh:

After a very good result of my previous Audi, I thought with those design parameters I can't make a better car. Therefore I wanted to do something different, yet similar. I am going to scale up (slightly), and add a bunch of new features. I also realised that performance of the result won't be comparable to the previous one. The main reason for that is, that I am not going to use buggy motors. I recieved many questions like: "can I build it without expensive buggy motors?'' . I will be using these wheels: https://www.bricklink.com/v2/catalog/catalogitem.page?P=41896c04#T=S&O={"iconly":0}. I want the car to be 19 studs wide and have a wheel base of around 25 studs.

The design parameters are:

• All wheel drive (quattro) with a central differential and without diffs on the axles.
  • Front and rear independent suspenion.
  • 50-50% (or close) weight distribution
  • Servo steering (perhabs with steering wheel)
  • Driving using two L motors
  • 4 speed sequentail gearbox (servo operated)
  • A good looking bodywork that reflects modern Audi's
  • A good looking interior without any electronics/mechanisms visible
  • Funcionality does not compromise for aesthetics (previous version is a great example)
  • BuWizz power

I allready have made some progress on the front axle.

20190504_211855.jpg

20190504_211841.jpg

20190504_211910.jpg

This is the result of many hours of puzzeling. It meets the requirements mentioned above. The buwizz is located behind the front axle and underneath the future dashboard. Axle for driving runs underneath the buwizz.

Lego Technic, Steering Arm 5 x 1 with Towball Socket Rounded, Chamfered (Type 2)Lego Technic, Gear Rack 1 x 2 with Ball Joints     

I used these parts for the steering rack. It is connected to an eight tooth gear. On the same axles sits a 16 tooth gear which connects with the 20 thooth gear connected to the servo. The turning radius is great.

Lego Technic, Steering Knuckle Arm with Ball Joint (Towball) 2739b.png

I used these parts to stabilize the CV joints

The next step will be to design the gearbox and rear axle. They will be integrated to save space. Comments, questions and feedback are highly appreciated!

Edited by T Lego

28 minutes ago, Carsten Svendsen said:

Wow, that looks complicated, and I have no idea about what's going on in that picture, but I like seeing ingenious contraptions like this

XD! thanks

20 minutes ago, LEGO Train 12 Volts said:

I want to see the final project! :excited:

Just one question ...where I can see your previous Audi?

I really like the concept. I have seen your other models, and it's super neat. Keep up the compact building!

14 hours ago, TechnicRCRacer said:

Wow, how are you building so tight and complex suspension mechanisms?? This is why I like seeing small RC LEGO cars!

The key I used is custom hubs. They give you way more options for springs and steeringracks. Placing the springs very close to the wheel creates space in between the wheels which can be used for electronics or mechanisms. Without this it wouldn't be possible to achieve my design parameters.

Time for a major progress update:

20190508_181530.jpg

As you can see the chassis has grown a lot with some of the wished functionality allready inside. You can see a 4 speed sequential gearbox (from @crowkillers) in the back and two L motors next to it. The differential is integrated in the gearbox and you can see one of its outputs which goes to the front axle. I also came up with the idea to use the small pneumatic cilinders as shock absorbers rather than the springs. The tubes and needed pressure is not applied yet. It is in general a way better setup. 

20190508_181708.jpg

20190508_181738.jpg

20190508_181627.jpg

I also started with the rear axle which is integrated tightly in the gearbox. I still have to design hubs and figure out how and where to place the pneumatic cilinders here. I also have an idea for the shifting meganism in mind. 

Let me know what you guys think! 

Another update:

• gearbox shifter/stepper with Servo motor
  • rear axle 
  • dashboard and centerconsole

20190512_185642.jpg

I started\ designing the dashboard, beceause it will have an important role in the strength and stiffness of the car. The same goes for the center console.

20190512_185800.jpg

Details like the gage cluster,  infotainment screen (no sticker yet) and gear lever have been placed. If you look closely, you can see the pneumatic valve which will controll the air suspension.

20190512_185724.jpg 

Here you can see the first rear axle prototype and new stepper/shifter meganism for the gearbox.  The car sits lower than I should be, beceause the pneumatic cylinders have not been presurized yet. I am currently waiting for a bricklink order which contains rubber bands and pneumatic hoses. Hopefully I can do some proper gearbox and suspension tests to see if everything works.

Also, I am looking for a nice seat design for this car. If anyone has a sugestion, let me know!

Wow... Already, I am blown away by this build. You've got all kinds of great ideas wrapped up in this model, I am looking forwards to the next design update!

I don't have a suggestion for a seat, other than using these fender panels for bucket seats with angled connectors around them. I think @Lox Lego also has some excellent designs...

I looked at this and didn’t think the small cylinders would take the weight of a car so I just tried one pumped up and one cylinder can take a kilo of force quite well, so no doubt this MOC will not weigh more than 4 kilo :grin:

the feel of the cylinder squishing was a nice feel too. It will work really well for suspension :thumbup: I do like a MOC with pneumatics.

will the front cylinders pop off their top support though under load?

12 hours ago, Leonardo da Bricki said:

Wow... Already, I am blown away by this build. You've got all kinds of great ideas wrapped up in this model, I am looking forwards to the next design update!

I don't have a suggestion for a seat, other than using these fender panels for bucket seats with angled connectors around them. I think @Lox Lego also has some excellent designs...

Thanks! I think those panels are too small for this scale even with some connectors around them. @Lox Lego is indeed a great seat designer but all of his designs are made for 1:8 cars... But maybe he can help us out here! :classic:

1 hour ago, MangaNOID said:

I looked at this and didn’t think the small cylinders would take the weight of a car so I just tried one pumped up and one cylinder can take a kilo of force quite well, so no doubt this MOC will not weigh more than 4 kilo :grin:

the feel of the cylinder squishing was a nice feel too. It will work really well for suspension :thumbup: I do like a MOC with pneumatics.

will the front cylinders pop off their top support though under load?

Thanks for testing the cylinders!:thumbup: I am glad to hear that they can support the weight (it probably won't be heavier than 2kg). The front cylinders won't pop off their support beceause the lower ports of the cylinders are connected to the chassis, just like the cylinders on the rear axle. 

2 hours ago, Thirdwigg said:

How wide do you want the seats? I used these ones for my 3T, which looks to be close to the same scale. 

5 or 6 (prefered) studs. Your seats look realy nice! I'll try to built them to see if they fit well. Which part is the headrest made from?

48 minutes ago, Mechbuilds said:

Are you planning on making instructions?

If @Thorsten50 wants to collaborate again, for sure. He was very kind enough to help me with my RS1 too and the result was absolutaly amazing. 

26 minutes ago, T Lego said:

Which part is the headrest made from?

This part seems to looks the best, but this part tends to be easier to get. They come in lots of colors, so go crazy.

I have refined the seat a little for my next car, but still the same size. I'll post of photo of that one soon.

11 hours ago, T Lego said:

the lower ports of the cylinders are connected to the chassis, just like the cylinders on the rear axle

I'd love to learn how your doing this as I would like to build a car chassis one day. To me it looked like the cylinders would pop off where the top two red 2L axles (verticle ones) are holding them on, when suspensions is loaded.

8 hours ago, Thirdwigg said:

I have refined the seat a little for my next car, but still the same size. I'll post of photo of that one soon.

Awesome!!

3 hours ago, MangaNOID said:

'd love to learn how your doing this as I would like to build a car chassis one day. To me it looked like the cylinders would pop off where the top two red 2L axles (verticle ones) are holding them on, when suspensions is loaded.

You are right about that if that was the only conection point, but the cylinder is also connected like this:

20190514_071822.jpg20190508_181530.jpg

Yeah, that piston setup looks a little flimsy. Why not replace the small crossblock, axle, and connector with the 1x3 crossblock with two pinholes and one axle hole connected to the 1x1 beam with pin?

Update:

-Stiffened the chassis and front suspension

-Interior and dashboard finished (exept for some stickers)

-Pneumatic tubes added on rear shock absorbers

-Added a lever which can turn on and off the Buwizz 

20190515_184441.jpg

The lever is not very visible. The lever is made out of this part  https://www.bricklink.com/v2/catalog/catalogitem.page?P=32054&C=11#T=S&C=11&O={"color":"11","iconly":0}  which is located next to the Servo motor. @TechnicRCRacer is this what you meant regarding the suspension? It also enabled me to place beams which connect to the center concole. Now the chassis is incredibly stiff. I have also added seats (they are from the RS1) and they fit very well. originaly I thought they were too small, but it is not bad at all. @Thirdwigg I have ordered some of those headrest parts to see how they look.

20190515_184528.jpg

The interior is very clean and I also found a good way to hide future wires and pneumatic tubes. I only want to add a few stickers and then the interior is fully completed

Have a great day!