snaillad

MOC: The Coral Hotel

Hello fellow EB members.

Long time no MOC! :laugh:

I've had a bit of a break due to house moving and having to put all my bricks into storage - that sucks and I never want to have to do it again!

Anyway I've eased myself back into building with this relatively speedily built Art-Deco hotel I've had drawn for a while now. An excuse to have another go at building with the curved glass pieces.

Anyway onto the pics, 5 in all. I've been influenced by many Miami based hotels so this is not a direct replica of any particular one.

40806991563_b6efe0e65f_c.jpg

33896114338_8b76daeb91_c.jpg

33896113318_8d3fc440f5_c.jpg

46984049534_59eb68cb6d_c.jpg

46984041144_be69561b7f_c.jpg

Any questions about techniques, comments or suggestions welcome.

Cheers!

Always love your mocs. Not my favorite style Art Deco, but a very good design of the building (love the curves) and excellent realization with clever techniques.

Thumb up!

This is gorgeous!  Love the curves in the facade, the colour combination and the flooring in the lobby in particular.

When I firsted clicked on this I was thinking that the hotel would be the new coral color of LEGO which would be interesting. But for being very white the colors that there are are perfect. 

But the most impressive thing to me is the texture. The floor tiling is insane (in a good way). The natural gap between the cheese plates works great and makes the floor even nicer. The little bit of indent under the curved windows outside is just a little bit of detail that really adds to the design because it's so super white.

This goes without saying, but those curves are incredible! Love the color scheme and the clean contemporary design. It's like every element compliments each other. :thumbup:

Ah, this is lovely. Glad to see you're back, and I love the Art Deco look. Great build, thanks for sharing!

This is really beautiful! I love that it's an original design and not an existing hotel. It is very Miami beach inspired but truly unique. You've captured the spirit of that area very well yet made it your own. Expert job! I especially love the tile work in the lobby.

Art Deco forever!! :wub:

A lovely model. Perhaps a bit too much "Floridian White", which could be a bit boring in the long run. I'd definitely add a bit more color/ use stronger colors in some places to compensate for the "scale effect".

Mylenium

Having come back for a second look, I really enjoy the pigeonholes and shells above the reception. The car on the street is great - the headlights and front bumper work wonderfully together, and the lt. bley is a decent stand-in for chrome.

On 5/4/2019 at 8:40 PM, gabrielerava said:

Always love your mocs. Not my favorite style Art Deco, but a very good design of the building (love the curves) and excellent realization with clever techniques.

Thumb up!

Thanks @gabrielerava!

On 5/4/2019 at 9:18 PM, Kristel said:

This is gorgeous!  Love the curves in the facade, the colour combination and the flooring in the lobby in particular.

On 5/4/2019 at 9:44 PM, LEGO Train 12 Volts said:

Gorgeous MOC (you did it again!) :wub_drool:

Perfect architecture and stunning floors!

I really like the curve of the main wall ...lovely work!:wub::wub:

Thank you @Kristel @LEGO Train 12 Volts. Glad you liked the curve on the facade!

On 5/4/2019 at 11:38 PM, Maple said:

When I firsted clicked on this I was thinking that the hotel would be the new coral color of LEGO which would be interesting. But for being very white the colors that there are are perfect. 

But the most impressive thing to me is the texture. The floor tiling is insane (in a good way). The natural gap between the cheese plates works great and makes the floor even nicer. The little bit of indent under the curved windows outside is just a little bit of detail that really adds to the design because it's so super white.

I wish I had some of that new Coral colour! I wish TLG made more curved pieces in pastel colours too. I've experimented with zig-zag floor patterns before and its difficult to achieve without added excess pressure to the surrounding bricks so having a gap was not what I wanted but I don't think it looks too bad!

On 5/5/2019 at 4:43 AM, ExeSandbox said:

This goes without saying, but those curves are incredible! Love the color scheme and the clean contemporary design. It's like every element compliments each other. :thumbup:

On 5/5/2019 at 5:51 AM, jimmynick said:

Ah, this is lovely. Glad to see you're back, and I love the Art Deco look. Great build, thanks for sharing!

Thanks guys!

On 5/5/2019 at 5:51 AM, Hinckley said:

This is really beautiful! I love that it's an original design and not an existing hotel. It is very Miami beach inspired but truly unique. You've captured the spirit of that area very well yet made it your own. Expert job! I especially love the tile work in the lobby.

Art Deco forever!! :wub:

Cheers Hinckley! I'd wanted to do a MOC based on the Crescent hotel for years but the pieces just didn't exist to make a convincing curve down the front. Eventually the pieces have arrived from TLG but I preferred to make something original after seeing so many other interesting hotel facades.

On 5/5/2019 at 8:06 AM, Mylenium said:

A lovely model. Perhaps a bit too much "Floridian White", which could be a bit boring in the long run. I'd definitely add a bit more color/ use stronger colors in some places to compensate for the "scale effect".

Mylenium

I'd love to have used more colours in the corner curving of the building but sadly TLG don't make those large arch bricks in many other than primary colours.

On 5/5/2019 at 9:33 AM, cimddwc said:

Another amazing building indeed ?

22 hours ago, peedeejay said:

Truly amazing as always!

Thank you very much! :classic:

18 hours ago, jimmynick said:

Having come back for a second look, I really enjoy the pigeonholes and shells above the reception. The car on the street is great - the headlights and front bumper work wonderfully together, and the lt. bley is a decent stand-in for chrome.

Thanks Jimmynick! The interior was more of a token gesture as a previous build was a hotel lobby based in the 1930's  so didn't want it to be too similar. I've had those shells for ages and never knew what to do with them until now! :laugh: I'm not really a car builder I just do what I can with what I've got, but thank you!

Nice job! I love the flooring and the pastel colour scheme. I saw your MOCs on Flickr a while ago, before I joined EB, and I was in awe of your eye for detail. I can't wait to see the next one! :classic: :thumbup:

Lovely looking build!! You've really captured the art-deco feel and the interior details are spot on (i especially like the exterior details at the side and the floor design with the cheese slope zigzag pattern) 

Are there any room interiors? I might book a stay!! :laugh:

Nice work!

Love it!

Fits in well with the Cocoa Hotel, The Ocean Restaurant and Paradisa Café (if they are still built it would be great to see them all together)

Very cool. I like the subtleness of the details and colours. The colours especially remind me of Paradisa line, which is always a nice bonus.

Great to see another MOC from you, I realized how much I really missed your builds when I first saw this beauty! I’m a huge fan of all the curves you achieved, and the subtle details like the clever use of 1/2 technic pins on the façade and the cheese slope usage throughout the build! Love the interior as well, the tiling is nicely done with the mix of SNOT and normal techniques on the corners! Keep the great work up! 

Very nice! I especially like the floor patterns!

On 5/6/2019 at 12:04 PM, TheL390Man said:

Nice job! I love the flooring and the pastel colour scheme. I saw your MOCs on Flickr a while ago, before I joined EB, and I was in awe of your eye for detail. I can't wait to see the next one! :classic: :thumbup:

On 5/6/2019 at 12:34 PM, Hobbythom said:

As always a masterpiece!

Thanks very much @TheL390Man and @Hobbythom!

On 5/6/2019 at 12:48 PM, greg3 said:

Lovely looking build!! You've really captured the art-deco feel and the interior details are spot on (i especially like the exterior details at the side and the floor design with the cheese slope zigzag pattern) 

Are there any room interiors? I might book a stay!! :laugh:

Nice work!

Thanks @greg3 I do love Art-Deco, might have to have a break from it for a while now though and build something else! :laugh:

On 5/6/2019 at 4:04 PM, lifeinplastic said:

Love it!

Fits in well with the Cocoa Hotel, The Ocean Restaurant and Paradisa Café (if they are still built it would be great to see them all together)

Cheers @lifeinplastic, sadly they are all long since dismantled but yeah they'd probably look pretty good all together!

On 5/6/2019 at 6:20 PM, Pate-keetongu said:

Very cool. I like the subtleness of the details and colours. The colours especially remind me of Paradisa line, which is always a nice bonus.

Thanks @Pate-keetongu, Paradisa was one of my favorite themes when I was a kid!

On 5/7/2019 at 4:04 PM, LegoModularFan said:

Great to see another MOC from you, I realized how much I really missed your builds when I first saw this beauty! I’m a huge fan of all the curves you achieved, and the subtle details like the clever use of 1/2 technic pins on the façade and the cheese slope usage throughout the build! Love the interior as well, the tiling is nicely done with the mix of SNOT and normal techniques on the corners! Keep the great work up! 

Thank you very much @LegoModularFan It's a bit flimsy on the corner but had to use those large window panels somehow!

On 5/8/2019 at 6:50 AM, Reaper said:

Very nice! I especially like the floor patterns!

On 5/8/2019 at 6:36 PM, marvelBoy123 said:

I like the floor patterns and colour scheme.

On 5/9/2019 at 5:10 AM, eliza said:

Absolutely gorgeous. Your art deco designs are the best! 

Appreciated @Reaper @marvelBoy123 @eliza!

10 minutes ago, snaillad said:

I do love Art-Deco, might have to have a break from it for a while now though and build something else! :laugh:

Sounds interesting... While I do absolutely adore your Art Deco MOCs, I would love to see your attempt at Art Nouveau some day! :blush:

Excellent work! Looks beautiful. I especially love the building techniques and the colour scheme! 

Just wondering, do you have any interior for the rooms?