snaillad

MOC: The Coral Hotel

This MOC has everything to love it! It is just so inspiring! Absolutely stunning work.

Great build. I like the curved windows the most.

The only thing that would make it better is if you change the name to "Sun-Ray" and do the bloody chainsaw scene from Scarface in it.

It just reminds me of a 70's Miami hotel you see on the strip.

Truly sweet MOC! This fits very nicely with the latest modulars, especially Downtown Diner.

Somehow it reminds me of "Hotel Coral Essex", from Revenge of the Nerds...;)

This is incredible! All the swooping shapes come together so fluidly and the colorscheme just screams retro beach. The rug (floor) in the lobby is the real jewel. Someone could make very interesting ancient floor mosaics with that tech.

Very nice building :classic:
Lot of great details like all those plants, the chairs inside, the floor ... and many more.
I like also the overall picture, the colorscheme and stuff realy fits great together.

And ... cool car too.

I’ve been tinkering with a Miami Art Deco district hotel for the last 6 months or so, but stumbled over colour, as almost all are just white.  This however, invokes so much of that district, without looking like a white slab, with rounded corners.  I think it’s stunning, and wish my vison and work could match this.

There is a lot to like about this build. It captures the architectural style incredibly well, the form is interesting and uses curved elements to their great potential, and I love the pastel color scheme.

The way you handle the plant elements on the interior and exterior is well done. There's enough greenery to get the setting and atmosphere without it being overwhelming or cluttering up the softer colors. I also like the attention to detail, like the use of grille bricks on the left side windows to simulate window blinds, and the wonderfully designed carpet in the lobby that matches the architecture.

I'm unsure if the left windows on the upper floors are situated too close to the edge of the building. Perhaps a buffer of a single brick or sideways tile on the left wall would make them feel a little more framed into the building.

If you haven't already considered this, I would also like to see some interior on the upper floors too. I wonder if you left them out intentionally so that the large upper floor windows stand on their own rather than having an interior clutter that space when viewing it from the outside? If you are able to extend the interior somehow, I imagine that those rooms would be quite a nice sight.

Other than that, I'm unable to find opportunities for improvement. This is one of my favorite builds I've seen from you. :thumbup:

Edited by Overcold

Amazing build, I agree with the others. So much details, but the vibe is what does it all: takes me back to GTA Vice City!

On 5/31/2019 at 2:51 PM, Four Bricks Tall said:

This is fantastic work! I just visited Miami Beach a few weeks ago and this MOC really looks like it could be a hotel there. 

Thanks @Four Bricks Tall It's great for it to be compared to the buildings there. I will get there someday!

On 5/31/2019 at 6:21 PM, Overcold said:

There is a lot to like about this build. It captures the architectural style incredibly well, the form is interesting and uses curved elements to their great potential, and I love the pastel color scheme.

The way you handle the plant elements on the interior and exterior is well done. There's enough greenery to get the setting and atmosphere without it being overwhelming or cluttering up the softer colors. I also like the attention to detail, like the use of grille bricks on the left side windows to simulate window blinds, and the wonderfully designed carpet in the lobby that matches the architecture.

I'm unsure if the left windows on the upper floors are situated too close to the edge of the building. Perhaps a buffer of a single brick or sideways tile on the left wall would make them feel a little more framed into the building.

If you haven't already considered this, I would also like to see some interior on the upper floors too. I wonder if you left them out intentionally so that the large upper floor windows stand on their own rather than having an interior clutter that space when viewing it from the outside? If you are able to extend the interior somehow, I imagine that those rooms would be quite a nice sight.

Other than that, I'm unable to find opportunities for improvement. This is one of my favorite builds I've seen from you. :thumbup:

Thank you @Overcold! The greenery hides some of the unsightly gaps on the pavement/sidewalk and also the transition gap between the floor and curved walls. I understand what you mean about the framing of the window, I originally was going to wrap the windows around but when I decided to omit the two upper floors (To allow more light into the lobby) I left the side windows out as I felt it was unnecessary. I have made similar windows with a full wrap around on my Cocoa Hotel many years ago but didn't want to copy the same effect. The window blinds were implemented to hide most of the upper bare space :classic: I'll probably do some older style hotel rooms perhaps from the mid century maybe on their own rather than as part of a building structure in the future, I added some interiors into the Cocoa hotel with some more simple techniques. They are on my photostream https://www.flickr.com/photos/52656812@N04/

On 6/10/2019 at 11:39 AM, Fraunces said:

Amazing build, I agree with the others. So much details, but the vibe is what does it all: takes me back to GTA Vice City!

Cheers @Fraunces GTA vice city - what and awesome game and soundtrack!

Very cool. I see you've already mentioned the new ' Coral ' pink color, I too hope they make a wider range of pieces in this color cause it would be perfect

On 5/4/2019 at 1:43 PM, snaillad said:

Hello fellow EB members.

Long time no MOC! :laugh:

I've had a bit of a break due to house moving and having to put all my bricks into storage - that sucks and I never want to have to do it again!

Anyway I've eased myself back into building with this relatively speedily built Art-Deco hotel I've had drawn for a while now. An excuse to have another go at building with the curved glass pieces.

Anyway onto the pics, 5 in all. I've been influenced by many Miami based hotels so this is not a direct replica of any particular one.

40806991563_b6efe0e65f_c.jpg

Any questions about techniques, comments or suggestions welcome.

Cheers!

I love it! It is beautiful.
I live in Miami and a big fan of Art Deco. I would love to build it and place it next to my Diner ;)
Do you sell the instructions? 

Pleaseeee