Captain Nemo

MOC: For the Empire!

For the Empire!

40793549553_ba317f45b2_b.jpg

This was built for a Star Wars Battles contest over on Lego Ideas...apparently. Honestly, I just used the contest to give myself a kick in the butt to finally build this! :grin: I'm very, very, fond of the Mimban Stormtrooper minifigure, which is just a really cool detailed figure, and so I've wanted to build something utilizing them for a long time now (well I guess a year basically). This seemed like a good time--plus it allowed me to procrastinate on other builds. So win win! 

Here are some overview shots. And yes, this build just kept getting longer and longer, and I needed to buy more and more Mimban troopers. You can really cram a lot into a tiny trench apparently! 

47759966221_e739c48290_c.jpg

I love Lego cloth pieces, like capes, because of the texture they bring to a build. So this next pictures always makes me smile! :wub:

32816378147_3765373fb3_c.jpg

You may notice that Vader does not wield his lightsaber in battle--this was a conscious choice. I wanted Vader to be essentially a passive force--while utilizing the Force--to protect himself, the troops, and the interests of the Empire itself.  

47759965811_eacebf3c97_c.jpg

32816377747_afe4405989_c.jpg

This build was inspired by three outside sources: Star Wars Propaganda (the book, and actual historical instances of such), Wonder Woman (2017, No Man's Land Sequence), and Downton Abbey (specifically its depictions of WWI and its affects on named characters/locations). I took a mash up of all of these sources to influence the direction and tone of the build, which is overall more cerebral than literal. 

32816377257_80fbefbf12_c.jpg

33882922578_8202f5f7b6_c.jpg

While this is ostensibly a "battle" no enemy forces are shown. I wanted the emphasis to be on the individual Stormtrooper's and commander's experiences throughout the battle, ie. the Imperial perspective. As such, there are instances of individuals heroically jumping into the fray (such as the ISB officer, because of course) or merely frozen with shock at Vader's powers (as one officer is). An Imperial nurse is tending to a wounded Stormtrooper and an unprepared officer is dragged out of bed into sudden combat. 

33882922768_b2770b2cf4_z.jpg 32816377427_e03c97be72_z.jpg

When I started the build, I did not intend to build a large depiction of the Emperor--I was strictly focused on the individuals. However, in adding the Emperor I found that it created a sense of overall Imperial power, as well as adding a story to the build. The Emperor commands that the battle end, directs Lord Vader to end the battle, Vader arrives, and the battle ends. In this way, with the "shadow" of the Emperor, flanked by incoming air support, the Empire as a force itself is depicted. It also transforms the build into almost a poster, which I think is pretty neat.   

33882922348_3c53a8ab45_c.jpg

I will say I am particularity proud of the Emperor, because I was able to build like 85% in one sitting without needing to order additional parts. The other 15% and the point when it fell and smashed I don't wanna talk about. :blush:

33882949878_82dbfdcca9_z.jpg 32816377967_76a6ecc3ec_z.jpg

I also built (offset by half a stud, because it's more difficult :wall:) the phrase "For the Empire" in Aurebesh, the official script of Galactic Basic, on the build's base. All I'm gonna say about that is, never again

46970674474_f421cca423_c.jpg

So for my first Star Wars build this was fun. 

46970675094_69458d6240_c.jpg

Wow, nicely done! Love the ghostly looking Emperor. Any plans to bring this to any shows?

28 minutes ago, ISDAvenger said:

Wow, nicely done! Love the ghostly looking Emperor. Any plans to bring this to any shows?

Thank you! 

It will be at Brickworld Chicago in June to start. :thumbup:

4 minutes ago, K_W said:

I don't know which is more impressive, the explosions or the emperor! This is incredible. 

Thanks! 

11 minutes ago, Captain Nemo said:

Thank you! 

It will be at Brickworld Chicago in June to start. :thumbup:

Thanks! 

Awesome! I will see you there........Sparky!

Edited by ISDAvenger

Upper fans comments, I can't agree more! And I would also say, it's gorgeous of the application with Star Wars Alphabet! It's the feeling of recruitment poster!

Absolutely stunning. So far the best contest entry shown here. Do you consider releasing instructions? I'd love to put the Emperor in my living room.

Incredible. I love the bony hands on the emperor. Reminds me of my late grandmother's. :classic: I don't even know what colour bricks the emperor is made from. It's like some communist statue as you would find in Memento Park in Budapest...

Very impressive! The emperor statue is well built!

This is simply stunning, it really captures the feeling of the war without even showing one of the two sides battling. Just by looking at it I can hear the screams of anger, pain, awe and all of the other emotions possible in such a scene

Wonderful build! Utilizing the Mimban troopers for a WWI-inspired MOC has definitely been on my mind - but unlike you I lack the figures!

woooooowwwww very impressive, the statue is really really really cool very good work I like this