Sign in to follow this  
Haddock51

Trans Europ Express (TEE) VT 11.5

47704804132_1293c958c8_c.jpg

This is the latest contribution to my Lego train collection: another Trans Europ Express (TEE) VT 11.5, this one 7-wide and 2.5 m long. (Still remember when I visited the railway stations in Basel as a young guy and admired these legendary trains with their monstrous locomotives). 

This train with four 9V engines is a (slightly modified) copy of @HoMas original that was launched last fall. The length of locomotives and coaches is 52 resp. 48 studs. (The significant overhang of the noses resulted in extensive modifications of the 9V Extreme track, particularly w.r.t. polycarbonate railings).

Even this train is equipped with PF LED (powered by two 9V batteries) for the front and end lights. Button cell powered mini LED string lights are used for interior lighting in each coach with the benefit of no cables between the coaches.

The TEE VT 11.5 project has been my most challenging, complex (and most expensive …) Lego train project so far.  The result however is simply breathtaking and magnificent! What a magic experience to watch this train in action! Extreme coping with extreme ….

And what an exciting and instructive journey it has been to build this iconic train – the crown jewel of my train collection!  A big thanks to Selander and  HoMa for all advice and help!

And a big praise to HoMa for his incredible MOC, one of the most beautiful and most spectacular trains ever built in Lego.

46840966665_4d2f26150b_c.jpg

47704803372_da6fdb578f_c.jpg

32813942307_9ecc53a9da_c.jpg

47704803982_439c19ea54_c.jpg

47704803752_b1653df35d_c.jpg

46840966215_2a98478e75_c.jpg

46840967495_484c8bbde7_c.jpg

40790968623_ee5cbe5a02_c.jpg

46840968015_3fdc649661_c.jpg

40790969053_2aec34181c_c.jpg

32813942467_14e70edb02_c.jpg

Big Brother and Little Brother ...

40499086593_5ba8005eee_z.jpg

(Copyright Ulrich Budde)

And this is how the train looks like in reality. (The VT 11.5 was actually awarded a gold medal at the Expo 58 in Brussels “for outstanding technology”!)

What a thing of great beauty. The cost and effort clearly paid off because that's one lovely model. Just brilliant!! :classic:

Absolutely beautiful!  Wonderful job capturing the overall look and feel, and the shaping on the locos is very well done.  The engine vents are nicely incorporated, and I really like the half-offset hand/grabrails too- nice touches.  :sweet:

17 hours ago, legobanker said:

Nice train ? I'd love to see some video of your layout. Looks pretty nifty.

Watch and enjoy! If trains made in Lego are your passion, I promise you will see many, both in action, on sidings and on shelves!

If you want to learn more about this track, please visit my topic "Lego Train 9V Extreme - ready!":

Edited by Haddock51

Great looking classic. Details externally are spot on and the interior makes it snap. Your layout is amazing as well.

What a huge job here: so many pieces and everything in the right place.

Only a master like you can build a 2.5 meter long train with incredible details.

There is always something to learn from you.

Awesome work! The curves on the locomotive look great, and the interior lights are a nice touch. Congratulations on adding this masterpiece to your layout!

17 hours ago, Haddock51 said:

Watch and enjoy! If trains made in Lego are your passion, I promise you will see many, both in action, on sidings and on shelves!

If you want to learn more about this track, please visit my topic "Lego Train 9V Extreme - ready!":

Wow!  I am VERY impressed. Nice layout, unique design and some awesome trains!

Incredible nice :thumbup:

We had a Danish DSB variant of the Trans Europ Express looking very reminiscent called Litra MA nicknamed Sølvpilen (the Silver Arrow) but since seeing Holger Mattges' MOC, I have become strangely afraid of trying to build it as it won't look as good for sure and I will in al likelihood turn into pure copycat mode. Maybe I should just get over it and do it :laugh:

Thank you all for your kind comments. Much appreciated.

As already mentionned, my VT 11.5 is a slightly modified 9V version of @HoMas original released last fall:

Therefore, I would like to share these comments with HoMa and congratulate him once again for his fantastic MOC.

17 hours ago, dtomsen said:

Incredible nice :thumbup:

We had a Danish DSB variant of the Trans Europ Express looking very reminiscent called Litra MA nicknamed Sølvpilen (the Silver Arrow) but since seeing Holger Mattges' MOC, I have become strangely afraid of trying to build it as it won't look as good for sure and I will in al likelihood turn into pure copycat mode. Maybe I should just get over it and do it :laugh:

Just go for it!

Wow just wow! I rarely comment on Train forum but this MOC of TEE is incredible. Congratulations to HoMa and you, it looks stunning and really the crown jewel of this massive collection. TEE is one of my favourite trains and someday I will try to build a similar one.