Sign in to follow this  
TheP725

Locomotives For My Upcoming Layout

What Locomotives And Rolling Stock Should I Use On My Upcoming Layout?

It depends on your interests and budget. What era do you want to represent? What sets or MOCs do you have that would fit well with the layout? Which nation's railway system do you want to build? The location and time period of your layout's setting will help determine the type of locomotives and rolling stock to use.

i'm thinking 1960's UK. i'm only in my early teens, so i don't know what my budget is. i don't have any MOCs at the moment. i am however wanting to make a start on the layout by combining these lego city sets: red cargo train set, passenger train set, deluxe cargo train set, and the normal cargo train set.

1960s Britain has plenty of options. There was still loads of steam engines as well as new diesel and electric locomotive classes, as well as diesel railcars and electric units too. Have a look around at some photos and see what tickles your fancy and then take things from there. Alternatively, let your imagination go wild and design something yourself that fits your vision.

I can only echo what has been said already.  As far as budget plan to send 80 - 400 per train ... Seems thats the average price (usd or £) ... Alot of that will depend on amount of details length of train ... Also what system 4.5v, 12V, 9V are all a little more expensive as they are retired systems.  Since your starting out you may wish to stick wit PUP or PF so the track is cheaper.  Although you may find some difficulty if your modeling industrial switcher units as you have to fit a hub and the motor as where 9V you would only need the motor.

Dont try to build the layout overnight.  Set monetary and physical goals.  That are reasonable.  For example ... Instead of balasting and insalling road ties all at once why not do 4 peices of track a month until its done?  Unless you have unlimited cash flow and bricks a train layout can be ahefty investment.  

Also look at space.  For example i have 0 display space so i rely on anything I display to be done so at one of the events my LUG participates in.  So i look at the fragility and ease of transport in things i build.

6 minutes ago, Roadmonkeytj said:

Also look at space.  For example i have 0 display space so i rely on anything I display to be done so at one of the events my LUG participates in.  So i look at the fragility and ease of transport in things i build.

That's another good point - my layout fits on a 4' x 4' piece of plywood that I can store under the guest bed when I'm not using it. Using a painted wood base can also reduce the need to ballast your tracks.

4 hours ago, TheP725 said:

i'm thinking 1960's UK. i'm only in my early teens, so i don't know what my budget is. i don't have any MOCs at the moment. i am however wanting to make a start on the layout by combining these lego city sets: red cargo train set, passenger train set, deluxe cargo train set, and the normal cargo train set.

If you don't have any MOCs, then whose model are you using as your avatar?

Why are you asking a bunch of strangers what you should build? You say you like 1960's UK. Do some research. Buy a model railway magazine, search the interweb. Find an engine that YOU find interesting or beautiful for some reason and start building that.

3 hours ago, TheP725 said:

i'm using a picture of a BR class 55 as my avatar

yes but i think he ment who created the model of the loco in this picture

XG BC

On 5/3/2019 at 7:10 PM, XG BC said:

yes but i think he ment who created the model of the loco in this picture

XG BC

Looks like one of Carl Greatrix's creations, or one of the many versions inspired by it.