Rogue Angel

Book III - Challenge III: What Will Tomorrow Bring?

The Guilds of Historica Book III

Challenge I: A Time to Rebuild

Challenge II: Bread and Circuses

Challenge III: What will Tomorrow Bring?

Prelude:

What Lies in Store

Historica Vulnerable

Historica is still rebuilding, but there is a lot of work that still needs to be done.  Historicans are coming to realize that they no longer enjoy the protection they once did.  The Guild armies and navies are still greatly depleted.  A new conflict or disaster would be much more devastating than in the past.  With this realization, their fears are breeding all manner of rumors and speculation.  What could happen tomorrow, and how can they protect themselves from it?

Category A: Rumors Abound

Everywhere there are rumors, speculation, fears.  When will the next war break out?  Can this new queen be trusted?  Is Nocturnus going to invade the other Guilds?  Is Varlyria not actually a new island but the eastern edge of Nocturnus?  Is there a secret invasion planned that will wipe out half the population of Historica?  Rumors abound of impending perils and battles to come.  Even the most outlandish stories have been heard somewhere in Historica.  With all of the Guilds still rebuilding, the common people are worried that almost anything could occur.

Your task: Portray a rumor that has been heard concerning the future of Historica, is it war, invasion, treachery, disaster?  (This can be anything your heart desires, as long as it fits within the "medieval no guns" concept.  This could be former foes reborn, the dead rising, new races invading, whatever you can think of.)

Maximum size: 36 x 36

Category B: Fortifications

With the guilds weakened and trying to regain their former power, the common people no longer feel safe and secure in their homes.  They are feeling compelled to take steps on their own.  Walls, fortifications, defenses and more have started appearing all over Historica. 

Your task: Build fortifications for your farm, town, village, keep, district, etc.  This can be new walls, a tower, a keep, a castle, whatever they can muster. 

Maximum size: 64x64

General Rules

Scoring:
Builds will be scored on build quality, presentation, and photography with bonus points to entries with original concepts or stories.  For both Categories, a 1st and 2nd place will be selected.  Each Guild can have up to 1 winner per category (so 2 guilds could have 2 winners, there can be 1 winner per guild, etc.)

Rules:
One entry
per category per person.
Borders can exceed the maximum size restriction, within reason.
Maximum sizes can be varied as long as the build does not exceed the footprint of the given size restriction (e.g.: 32x64 instead of 48x48 is permissible).
No clone brands (Megablocks, KREO, etc) allowed, but 3rd party fig parts and accessories (Brickarms, Citizen Brick, etc.) are acceptable.
All entries should be posted in their own topic, with the title of: "CHALLENGE II: Category X: Name of your build".  Please also post a link to your topic here.

Deadline:
Entries due the end of the day on June 15th.

Prizes:
The Build with the highest score will win a custom MOC:

48057772281_0b5f880f4c.jpg

(The larger build categories will be more likely to score the most points, but that is not always the case)

The next highest scored Build in a DIFFERENT CATEGORY will win a $25 Lego Gift Card

Edited by Kai NRG

Although it is usually not allowed to count challenge builds for HSS, Category B overlaps directly with the Military category for HSS.  Might we be able to count Category B for both?

On 5/2/2019 at 3:39 PM, Rogue Angel said:

Is Varlyria not actually a new island but the eastern edge of Nocturnus? 

That's pretty wild! :snicker::thumbup: 

Cat. A has so much potential, great category! I already have some ideas for over-the-top, non-canon, Historican nightmare scenarios. :purrr:

Great to see the cadence of challenges keeping up :thumbup:

Having another kid (the third...) during the challenge wasn’t exactly great timing, but I’ll try to build something at least between changing diapers :wink:

Category B is tempting...

1 minute ago, Gideon said:

Having another kid (the third...) during the challenge wasn’t exactly great timing, but I’ll try to build something at least between changing diapers :wink:

Congrats!  And hey, a little baby spit-up should spruce up any MOC! :grin:

20 hours ago, Gideon said:

I added a third in January, and it is possible to still build with three; I might have less time than before, but I still get some things done! I feel confident that you can do the same. And hey, the kid is worth the sacrifice of build time anyways. Congrats!

Great with another challenge to get a little extra motivation to build here again! Looking forward to see what everyone comes up with, and hopefully the #swedishlegomafia can come up with some nice entries :wink:

Fellow builders, quick question:

When there is a size limit (say 36 x 36, Cat. A), how is the adaptation of the limits if the base is not an exact square?
As an example, if my MOC is 35 (36-1) studs width, could I build 37 (36+1) studs in depth?

I'm currently building something that turned out to be 33 depth x 44 width (where around 4 studs for each side is just rockwork) and I wanted to submit it for Cat. A. Would it be acceptable?

Plus, If there's something in the MOC that floats our of the frame and exceeds these limits (something like 6-8 studs), like tree leaves, does it count in the size limit or not?

Thanks, guys. 

9 minutes ago, Louis of Nutwood said:

When there is a size limit (say 36 x 36, Cat. A), how is the adaptation of the limits if the base is not an exact square?

If such thing were allowed, something like "36 x 36, or equivalent stud area" would be stated in the rules here on EB. I think that it will really have to be a square in this contest.

Edited by Exetrius

5 minutes ago, Exetrius said:

"36 x 36, or equivalent stud area" would be stated in the rules here on EB

I see... Strict!
Still, there is a statement in the rules that I understand permit size adaptations: 

On 5/2/2019 at 10:39 AM, Rogue Angel said:

Maximum sizes can be varied as long as the build does not exceed the footprint of the given size restriction (e.g.: 32x64 instead of 48x48 is permissible).

So, it kind of got me confused as to how the adaptation applies (if and when). 
Is the limit of 36x36 (total of 1.296 studs) equivalent to a 24x64 (total of 1.296 studs as well)?

Or is the footprint only based on the LEGO baseplates (which seems unlikely given there are a bunch of uneven beautifully built moc bases around here)?

If that is the method, then, my original 33x44 (total of 1.452 studs) would be off limits to Cat. A.
However, is it a possible entry for Cat. B (max 64x64 - total 4.096), being within the limits?

Just wanted some clarification. 

Thanks, though!

30 minutes ago, Louis of Nutwood said:

Fellow builders, quick question:

As an example, if my MOC is 35 (36-1) studs width, could I build 37 (36+1) studs in depth?

I'm currently building something that turned out to be 33 depth x 44 width (where around 4 studs for each side is just rockwork) and I wanted to submit it for Cat. A. Would it be acceptable?

Plus, If there's something in the MOC that floats our of the frame and exceeds these limits (something like 6-8 studs), like tree leaves, does it count in the size limit or not?

Thanks, guys. 

The relevant section of the rules is here:

On 5/2/2019 at 9:39 AM, Rogue Angel said:

To re-phrase the rule, the size restriction is 1296 studs (36x36=1296); thus, if your creation occupies a footprint of less than or equal to 1296 studs, you should be fine. Now, I would not advise building anything 1x1296, but dimensions as extreme as 18x72 are theoretically possible (if we follow a pattern based on previous challenges) or irregular bases that have a stud count of 1296 or less. 

2 minutes ago, Louis of Nutwood said:

If that is the method, then, my original 33x44 (total of 1.452 studs) would be off limits to Cat. A.
However, is it a possible entry for Cat. B (max 64x64 - total 4.096), being within the limits?

You posted as I was beginning to reply! You are correct that 33x44 is off-limits for Cat. A, but you could use it for Cat. B if it fits the prompt. You do not need to hit the extreme upper end of the limit, after all. 

2 minutes ago, Henjin_Quilones said:

You are correct that 33x44 is off-limits for Cat. A, but you could use it for Cat. B if it fits the prompt. You do not need to hit the extreme upper end of the limit, after all. 

Thanks, HQ!
All clear. 
I'll just have to rethink a couple of things. 
To the building room!

yoyoyo good initiative here guys! Unfortunately I have to start packing my bricks instead of starting building (I have to move out for the month of June) :sadnew::sad: But hey, good luck to everyone who's planning to participate! I'll be following as a spectator

I think I won't have time for this challenge, quite a pity, because there is much potential in this one! I am curious whatever horror stories the smallfolk will come up with

My entry for this challenge A category:

This topic always interested me, and I really like conspiracy theories. :D