Sign in to follow this  
Professor Thaum

[PA CUP - Cat A. ] Pilot Associacion Race Control Center

Shore of Prio Island, northern coast, nowadays.

uwq4.jpg

yutu.jpg

Dr Thaum : Welcome to the Pilot Association Race Control Center your Highness, I was looking forward to you !

ArchDuke A. Prio : Greetings Doctor, I was very curious about your idea, let's have a look !

Dr Thaum : This is the new state-of-the-art harbour plant. The new turnkey installation. With this giant spyglass you may have a very precise look onto the whole harbour bay.

With some more accurate adjustment you may even see the neighboring islands.

fkmu.jpg

ArchDuke A. Prio : Incredible, which island is this ?

Dr Thaum : I had a look on Gunpowder island, a few hours ago and the spyglass is still pointed.

ArchDuke A. Prio : Gunpowder island !!!! But this is a thousand miles north east Doctor !!

Dr Thaum : Indeed... my marine optician is very skilled.

0qyz.jpg

ArchDuke A. Prio : It seems that there is a volcanic skirmish over there...

i9qc.jpg

ArchDuke A. Prio : Er... A parrot, and a frog ?

Dr Thaum : A parrot ??? Ho, I see, let me introduce yourself, the professor Koko, it is not part of the race control center, this is my linguist... Professor Koko, this is his Highness the ArchDuke Alexander Prio

gsgz.jpg : Giiiv eeeet kyyys til Kokooooo !!!

ArchDuke A. Prio : Hu ? A linguist ?

Dr Thaum : Yes, a very skilled one, able to speak about 20 languages.

ArchDuke A. Prio : the captain of my personnal guard is from Oleon, could I test your so-called linguist doctor ?

Dr Thaum : Please, your Highness

ArchDuke A. Prio : Leclerc ! Speak Oleones with this parrot !

uv3q.jpg : Right now your Highness. " Bonjour, professeur, comment allez vous en cette radieuse journée ?"

gsgz.jpg : On donne un bisouuuuus !! A Kokoooo !!!

uv3q.jpg : No doubt, your Highness, this is true Oleonese, but...

Dr Thaum : Stop wasting time with a common parrot ! You noticed a frog...

wqo8.jpg

Dr Thaum : we have here a small weather station, with Master Waldo our meteorologist and Elmer... the barometer.

ArchDuke A. Prio : A Frog and a cripple !!??

Dr Thaum : Not any cripple your Highness !! With his injury to the right leg, master Waldo is able to foresee the smallest weather deterioration with outstanding accuracy.

and Elmer is pretty accurate frog too. I ever rely on crippled one's aboard my ships ever since I know master Waldo.

You may have noticed the two flags on either sides of the bastion, coupled with compass, for a precise direction of the winds... and associated with the wind-sock

we have the upper hand for a safe sailing. The wind-sock mast is used as a semaphore, to warn the vessels on the open sea.

s9gj.jpg

ArchDuke A. Prio : All of these amenities are great doctor, what is this... thing ?

Dr Thaum : This is a thermoscope, your Highness, a pressure-based technology which enables us to anticipate temperature changes.

5ia1.jpg

ArchDuke A. Prio : And this little man, playing with some spyglasses ?

Dr Thaum : Iauln, my apprentice. He is fond of his spyglass, made by my marine optician, but arguing we have two eyes, he comes up with the idea of paired spyglasses, one for each eye. This is another breakthrough, as we noticed that

the paired spyglasses truly widen the field of vision compared to a single one !

hom9.jpg

On a 48x48 baseplate, but the bastion is about 30x32. C&C welcome. I'm pleased to have this one finished but I'm not satisfied by the rear stair, but the full brick one was too bulky (an inclined plan, a true heresy)  and I had no other idea.

Danish speech with the courtesy of @Bregir

Will probably be licenced as a medium educational built by the RSNP at the end of the challenge.

Bonus pics under spoiler :

Spoiler

A closer look :

iy11.jpg

top view :

r6dy.jpg

Rear view :

1tdc.jpg

aiwl.jpg

You sir, are a true doctor and most accomplished scientist! All those great devices... But I had tons of laughs with the Oleander-speaking parrot and above all, with the cripple/meteorologist and the frog!

Such an amusing narrative overall! 

I agree with BD - an excellent story and a very nice build. There are many things to mention, but I will just take a few. I like the waves and how the building/bastion is angled to the build, and I think the large telescope is very well built too. The various other implements are well-built and humourous too.

The windvane is very well done - how did you make it bend like that? Just unattached bricks? And I always love me a semaphore!

Well done!

8 minutes ago, Bregir said:

The windvane is very well done - how did you make it bend like that? Just unattached bricks?

Just semi-attached round bricks. The technic used with the lego creator birds.

So much to like here! Great build, fun story! My favorite parts are the giant telescope and the sagging windsock. Also, great job with the walls at a 45-degree angle.

Excellent job all around! :thumbup:

Good stroy, great build, optimal humor but most of all: some real research in a build! A true realistic scientific build for the imaginary time period we are building in. Really outstanding doc!

On 4/30/2019 at 2:23 PM, Professor Thaum said:

Gunpowder island !!!! But this is a thousand miles north east Doctor !!

Is this world flat? On any globular world, something that far away would be hidden by the curvature of the earth.

30 minutes ago, Ross Fisher said:

Is this world flat? On any globular world, something that far away would be hidden by the curvature of the earth.

It only depends on the paradigm or on the altitude of the peak of gunpowder island :angel_sing:

Fine, fine and fun!

Strangely I heard "Giiib Kookooo eineeeen Keeeeeks"....

From a scientific point of view you are likely to get a visit from Alberto da Pontelli, he should very interested in all these fantastic inventions.

And the windvane is great too (I also learned a new word here) :pir-sweet: