Sign in to follow this  
Capt Wolf

[MCTC: Salida Este] Vertical Windmill

The people of northern Halos are accustomed to seeing windmills of various types across the continent and in their island colonies. But many have not seen the type built by the natives of Ferro Azure.

01_left_angle.jpg

Instead of the familiar blades spinning on a horizontal axis, which use gears to transfer the rotational power to a vertical shaft, the windmills built by these island people use paddles to catch the wind attached directly to the vertical shaft.

03_close-up.jpg

Walls around the paddles help channel the wind so that it only hits on one side of the axis. Otherwise, they would work against themselves and would not spin.

02_right_angle.jpg

The mill seen here, near Eslandola's colonial settlement of Salida Este, shows wear from years of use. The bright yellow paint is worn away in places, and some of the indigo plants that grow naturally on the island can be seen around the paths.

Here the miller's wife greets one of her friends, whose son carries a basket of grain on his head.

04_millers_wife.jpg

The miller will grind flour for many families, and store the final product in barrels and sacks under the steps on the side of the mill. Here one his helpers is storing a new barrel.

05_mill_worker.jpg

A customer has come to pick up his sack of flour. He looks upset, but it is only because his son did not come to help him retrieve it.

06_miller.jpg

Some more pics of the build:

Spoiler

07_front-low.jpg

08_front-high.jpg

09_above.jpg

To be licensed as a medium factory.

---

I had been looking for a different kind of windmill to build and discovered this design. My build would have been better if the paddles were more delicate, made of reeds or such instead of planks, but I'm still happy with how it came out. All C&C welcome.

Beautiful...

Simple...

Wonderful color choices: is that bright light yellow with tan masonry and dark tan roof?

11 hours ago, TomSkippy said:

Beautiful...

Simple...

Wonderful color choices: is that bright light yellow with tan masonry and dark tan roof?

Thanks.

And it's regular yellow; it got washed out a bit when I lightened the images, especially the second one, to show the detail up top.

9 hours ago, Professor Thaum said:

Incredible...

A great "old-school innovation" :laugh:

Yep, I went old school! :pir-grin:

You're really becoming the windmill master of BoBS! :pir-grin:  A great way to introduce a new concept, I'd never heard of that kind of a mill!  Neat idea with the rounded roof too.

Good to see Salida Este continue to grow!

Really cool design, Capt Wolf - made me wiki vertical windmills - and this is a great example. I particularly like the "jacket" for the sails, and the use of those 1x4 slope/bow pieces for roof. A good story and the nice irregular base results in good presentation. Well done, Master of Mills! :pir-grin:

This is EPIC! Great idea, great building design, great color choices, presentation and an irregular base to complement all the above. Simply put, beautiful! 

So, vertical windmills of those old times, are the forefathers of the energy harnessing vertical windmills that we see nowadays... interesting. 

On ‎4‎/‎29‎/‎2019 at 10:59 AM, Kai NRG said:

You're really becoming the windmill master of BoBS! :pir-grin:  A great way to introduce a new concept, I'd never heard of that kind of a mill!  Neat idea with the rounded roof too.

Good to see Salida Este continue to grow!

Thanks. I was unfamiliar with the history of such a design until I did a little research. And it seemed to fit our work on Salida Este.

On ‎4‎/‎29‎/‎2019 at 2:29 PM, Fraunces said:

Realistic build. Very well designed. 

Thank you!

On ‎4‎/‎30‎/‎2019 at 2:39 AM, Bregir said:

Really cool design, Capt Wolf - made me wiki vertical windmills - and this is a great example. I particularly like the "jacket" for the sails, and the use of those 1x4 slope/bow pieces for roof. A good story and the nice irregular base results in good presentation. Well done, Master of Mills! :pir-grin:

Thanks. The "jacket" was one of the most interesting parts of the design for me. And windmills remain one of the best period-appropriate factories to build in BoBS.

1 hour ago, blackdeathgr said:

This is EPIC! Great idea, great building design, great color choices, presentation and an irregular base to complement all the above. Simply put, beautiful! 

So, vertical windmills of those old times, are the forefathers of the energy harnessing vertical windmills that we see nowadays... interesting. 

Thanks! The color choices were dictated partially by the design. I couldn't do the curves of the left-side "jacket" wall in yellow, so I needed an excuse to use something else, thus tan (and the tan masonry bricks) as worn sections of wall. And I spent a fair amount of time on the irregular base, so I'm glad it's getting noticed.

Nice and clean build, I like the design of the windmill, very clever. The irregular base looks good too.