Mechbuilds

[Help] Front axle with motor in the middle??

Hi guys! 

I need help with a front axle that'll have a motor in the middle. 
The main drive motor that drives the car will be an L motor and i'd like to build a suspension for the front axle while having it turn by a servo motor that's in the middle or at the back of the car. 
But the main feature would be that when you open the hood, instead of a brick built engine, it'll have the L motor itself in the middle that drives the rear wheels. 

(edit: It's going to be a tuner/street car. Bonus points if i can get it to drift.)

The axle should be 11 or 13 wide. 
I also need to figure out how can i get as much as steering angle as i can. 
I'll be using this part as the linkage to attach the spring:
lego-suspension-arm-with-ball-socket-and
And i'll use this to attach the wheel:
lego-technic-hole-with-3-ball-joints-154

EDIT: 
I can also go for no motor in the front if the servo motor replaces it. But having more steering angle is good. 

Edited by Mechbuilds

You need help with a FRONT axle that has an L-motor on top as a functional showpiece which drives the REAR axles? Or did I not read it right?

Anyway it should be easy enough to accomplish; Have a look at the axle thread for ideas.

Then all you do is put a couple of gears down to your differential from your motor. Right?

1 hour ago, Carsten Svendsen said:

You need help with a FRONT axle that has an L-motor on top as a functional showpiece which drives the REAR axles? Or did I not read it right?

Anyway it should be easy enough to accomplish; Have a look at the axle thread for ideas.

Then all you do is put a couple of gears down to your differential from your motor. Right?

Yes. 
I'm reading the axle collection thread currently. 
Can't wait till my steering servo arrives in the mail!

I've started tinkering with the simple basics.. This is something i'd go for:

1dpIh0Tl.jpg
(The yellow bushings are at the front end and the gear rack is at the back end.)

I like having the springs go trough in the middle like that.. I wonder if i can fit a steering servo in the middle somehow.. If somebody wants to help me out a little, here's the Link for the LXF!

I might give up on the whole motor in the middle idea because i don't want this moc to be too massive. 
This is already the max width i'd go for on this front axle. 

Edited by Mechbuilds

That is certainly a good start.

Mounting the spring to the lower control arm, without a link between the lower and upper control arms, will result in the springs pushing the lower ball joint from the wheel hub out of the control arm.

The servo turns 90 degrees each direction, with a 12t pinion the gear that goes best with that rack, will result in a rack that moves 1 stud side to side.  The wheel hubs you have cannot support that level of steering lock.  If you are going to stick with those wheel hubs, try using an 8t pinion gear and rebuild the rack to support.  Still not ideal, but far better.

28 minutes ago, AndyCW said:

That is certainly a good start.

Mounting the spring to the lower control arm, without a link between the lower and upper control arms, will result in the springs pushing the lower ball joint from the wheel hub out of the control arm.

The servo turns 90 degrees each direction, with a 12t pinion the gear that goes best with that rack, will result in a rack that moves 1 stud side to side.  The wheel hubs you have cannot support that level of steering lock.  If you are going to stick with those wheel hubs, try using an 8t pinion gear and rebuild the rack to support.  Still not ideal, but far better.

So you're saying that this would be more ideal?

u8r8pljl.png

Hmm, i need to redesign the whole thing again.. 

As a positive note, i'm thinking about buying the snowmobile set for those 3 ball joint wheel hub parts. 
And the offroad formula set for those control arms. 

The reason why i want it setup this way is because i don't want it to be too wide but it still needs to have a proper suspension. 
Do you have a suggestion for a different way to make it without making it wider?

Get on bricklink and just get the parts you need rather than buying a whole set for a couple of parts.

The geometry of the second rack, looks better.  The challenge we be making it structurally sound.

Alternatively; the older hubs and arms might make things simpler.  Worth a look.

Simplest solution is always the best.. I made a modification off of effermans 11 stud wide front axle:

WuUbvl2l.png

It's slightly more compact. But the problem is that the yellow axle that makes the wheels turn is only turning 45 degrees.. So using a steering servo would not work directly.. What kind of gearing do i need to make it a 90 degree turn? 

Hi, I had the same idea to use the space in between the front axle with motors/batteries and I have some solutions I can share, hopefully it is useful. 

In both my audi’s , I wanted to use this, beceause it helped me to fit all electronic components better and it results in a very good weight distribution. Very adventagous if you want to drift! Below, you can see how I fitted a BuWizz behind the front axle with the parts you mentioned in your first post. It also has suspension, but only the springs were used - not the entire shock absorber assebly. The servo is located in between the Seats. The steering problem you mentioned is also solved here by using two gears (12 and 20 tooth)

B690F250-64E2-43AB-8391-36FB4C191FF6.jpe

1C7F4009-168A-450C-A0BA-BDF3284D392E.jpe

Here is another example. The BuWizz is now placed in between the axles.

A6.png

C9D64E11-B760-496F-B4CD-D71D55CBEA22.jpe

You can find more info here: 

Edited by T Lego