Hello Eurobrick, It’s been a long time I haven’t posted here, for many reason. Now I’m back to Lego, let me present you my latest MOC, a Sandvik underground mining truck.

(Please note this review is also posted on my own website Superk-technic.com)

The Toro 60 is a 60t truck buit by Toro/Sandvik. It is a new approach of the underground mining application, by using a rigid frame truck instead of an articulated one. This allows to have a larger payload for a similar size truck.

autowp.ru_sandvik_toro_60_4.jpg

original.jpeg?1autowp.ru_sandvik_toro_60

The Toro 60 is 6×4 truck, with a steering rear axle allowing to take sharp turn in gallery.

Here is a presentation video of the truck.

The MOC:

This MOC is a simple reproduction of the main function of the real truck, as well as a cosmetic challenge to reproduce its unsual aspect. It is not mounted on suspension because I’m lazy because the rear steering-driven axle was a huge mess to create. And also because I’m lazy.

It is powered by a Lego rechargeable battery and a SBrick bluetooth controller.

47676699531_2328007ef4_z.jpg

47623812912_9533396bed_z.jpg

All images are available on FLickR

Propulsion.

Axle 2 and 3 are powered through a PF-L motor. It was the best compromize between compacity and power. It fits well in the chassis between the two axle, but unfortunately there is a little lack of power for the outside run. A PF-XL motor would have been a better choice, but harder to integrate int he structure.

40710351713_728a88af9d_z.jpg

47676699231_c24d4ab68b_z.jpg

Steering.

The front axle is a classic Ackerman steering, and the rear axle is rigid and mounted on a turntable, like the real truck. Both axle are powered by a single PF-Servomotor.

If you already played with a large turntable you should have noticed that if you gear directly a PF-SM on it your turntable isn’t straight, it has a slight angle. To compensate that, I geared the control axle with a 16t/16t: there is no onger an angle but it reates some slack in the direction.

47676699121_176feb1ab3_z.jpg

40710351473_e119919640_z.jpg

Tipper operation.

On the real truck the tipper is actuated by to large and very (very)(very) long hydraulic jack on the forward part of the tipper. This kind of part doesn’t exist in Lego so I used classical large Linear Actuator. It works well when the tipper is empty; It’s a lot more difficult to raise it when fully loaded.

40710351873_9ff7e3d415_z.jpg

47623812102_abbd2b9651_z.jpg

Some Details.

The front part of the MOC has been worked (more than usual) to represent as accurately as possible the original Toro 60.

There is some asccess point and handrail on both side of the face. The massive front radiator shows the big fan, and the cabin is simple but includes a seat and a (on-functionnal) steering wheel.

40710352103_265426ed04_z.jpg

40710352063_12e470da16_z.jpg

40710352673_e8ebb24997_z.jpg

Footnote:

The “official” color of Sanvik truck is red, but some parts are not available in red, in particular the panels. This is what the truck could have look like (visual made with Bricklink Stud.io):

47641134722_5806a6928c_z.jpg

40727802543_f881276af3_z.jpg

Thank you for reading !

It is a very difficult machine to do but you have done a very good job. I already know this underground truck but I discarted to do it just for the suspension, to much work without space enough.

Just now, I_Igor said:

Very nice and interesting MOC as usual from you :thumbup:

Thank you :)

3 minutes ago, jorgeopesi said:

It is a very difficult machine to do but you have done a very good job. I already know this underground truck but I discarted to do it just for the suspension, to much work without space enough.

On my first attempt back in november I managed to make some sort of suspension using small pneumatic jack, but the chassis was too weak and bended a lot. Wasn't happy with that.

37 minutes ago, Superkoala said:

The Toro 60 is a 60t truck buit by Toro/Sandvik. It is a new approach of the underground mining application, by using a rigid frame truck instead of an articulated one. This allows to have a larger payload for a similar size truck.

Actually, at first it was a Tamrock TORO 60, after that Sandvik bought Tamrock, and eventually it was branded as Sandvik TH660 :)
It was a design failure, and like Atlas Copco Minetruck MT85 was abandoned. Both companies stick to typical, two axles trucks with articulated frame.

Atlas-Copco-MT85-2.jpg

I was going to build one years ago, with brick built dump bed. At least now I see that it could be made much easier, with panels. Great job! :)

Its certainly different, which is something that we generally see from you, and to be honest I think you have done it justice. defiantly some different styles of building

If you could squeeze a Xl motor in or twin L's or do both drive trains on portal hubs.. maybe a MkII version?   

That's one ugly truck. Don't get your panties in a bunch, I mean the real thing. I prefer your lego version. I like how you recreated the front wedged shape and I like the choice of colors. It has something going for it, it's more interesting than it would be if it was all one big red blur.

4 hours ago, M_longer said:

Actually, at first it was a Tamrock TORO 60, after that Sandvik bought Tamrock, and eventually it was branded as Sandvik TH660 :)
It was a design failure, and like Atlas Copco Minetruck MT85 was abandoned. Both companies stick to typical, two axles trucks with articulated frame.

Atlas-Copco-MT85-2.jpg

To be honest I got a bit lost with the official denomination between Tamrock and Sandvik, I also had this issue with the Supra/TH680 (which is currelnty having a big upgrade, I should post it here soon).

Oh and what a chance: the MT 85 is my actually the truck I started to work on last week-end :)

7 hours ago, M_longer said:

Atlas-Copco-MT85-2.jpg

I was going to build one years ago, with brick built dump bed. At least now I see that it could be made much easier, with panels. Great job! :)

I search for machinery a lot and I had never seen this truck and on top of that it is yellow, I will look for it when I come back home.

4 minutes ago, jorgeopesi said:

I search for machinery a lot and I had never seen this truck and on top of that it is yellow, I will look for it when I come back home.

There are only few pictures of it, because it was never produced. I believe that on all those pictures is the same machine.

25 minutes ago, M_longer said:

There are only few pictures of it, because it was never produced. I believe that on all those pictures is the same machine.

Ok even not being produced is a beautiful truck.

It's a super nice model you made. I like the different solutions for the front and rear steering, and the unusual shape. The yellow/white color works well here too. I also like how you kept it relatively narrow despite the wide wheels. That gives you only a small space to work with for the functionality. The flashing lights are a nice touch and the shaping/paneling is very nice. Also, the bed has quite a good range despite only using LAs.

So, nice job!

Also, I stored the reference photos in my Lego build inspiration folder :)