Idris

Which do you think is the most complex/hardest Technic Set?

Hi again,

Sorry if I am repeating a topic but I am new in here. 

Also, I think this topic can stay as long as LEGO Technic exists :classic:

Including the latest (2019) LEGO Technic sets/models,

which do you think is the “hardest to assemble”, complex/though, etc. You understood me.

For example, in my opinion, still the 1275 part - 42070 - 6*6 40th year edition 2017 Towing Truck is one of the “kings”.

Waiting for your kind and precious thoughts and opinions.

All the best,

Idris

83FFC39A-FB9A-4CC4-982D-CE1857C7C14C.jpeg

Edited by Idris

The search engine of the site seems to be usually rather limited, but here's a thing you should do: Google the phrase "most difficult technic set site:eurobricks.com" (without the quotes) and you'll be presented lots of cool interesting topics about this. There's a LOT of good stuff already written.

Such as:

https://www.eurobricks.com/forum/index.php?/forums/topic/148789-hardest-technic-set-to-build/
https://www.eurobricks.com/forum/index.php?/forums/topic/112752-what-was-your-most-difficult-building-experience/
https://www.eurobricks.com/forum/index.php?/forums/topic/38198-what-is-the-hardest-lego-set-you-have-ever-built/
https://www.eurobricks.com/forum/index.php?/forums/topic/104656-are-technic-sets-getting-less-complex/

5 minutes ago, Erik Leppen said:

The search engine of the site seems to be usually rather limited, but here's a thing you should do: Google the phrase "most difficult technic set site:eurobricks.com" (without the quotes) and you'll be presented lots of cool interesting topics about this. There's a LOT of good stuff already written.

Such as:

https://www.eurobricks.com/forum/index.php?/forums/topic/148789-hardest-technic-set-to-build/
https://www.eurobricks.com/forum/index.php?/forums/topic/112752-what-was-your-most-difficult-building-experience/
https://www.eurobricks.com/forum/index.php?/forums/topic/38198-what-is-the-hardest-lego-set-you-have-ever-built/
https://www.eurobricks.com/forum/index.php?/forums/topic/104656-are-technic-sets-getting-less-complex/

Dear Erik,

Many thanks for your detailed reply.

I will surely look at these threads, however, I would like this thread to be the 2019 version of them.

For example, in your opinion, including the newest which is the most complex?

Best Regards,

Idris

5 minutes ago, Zerobricks said:

For me it was the Chiron, due to the complex gearbox and the massively interconnected chassis.

Oh Dear. That’s my next build :sceptic:.

15 minutes ago, Zerobricks said:

For me it was the Chiron, due to the complex gearbox and the massively interconnected chassis.

Ya, me too, since I am below 16, it took me three long days to complete part-time but luckily, did no mistakes.:wink:

The hardest build I've had must be 8865. It is in no way the most complex, but it is very hard due to the high amount of parts pr step in the instruction.

The most complex however is in my opinion one of these:  8110, 42054, 42009, 42043

I have not included the supercars as the only complex ting about them are the (rather bad) gearboxes. The models I've listed are compact interesting builds with a large number of functions and possibilities for modifications. There are a few other like the 8043 that could have made the list, but lacks a complex gearbox/geartrain.

-Naz-

42009 to get it working nicely was reasonably difficult, mostly due to the long drive train to the outriggers. I believe 42056 and 42083 are difficult for similar reasons, though haven't built either. 42069 was quite a complex (and fun!) build example of modern technic I think - lots of form locking, as was 42054. Getting both apart is an adventure as well, as order is important.

I disagree with the older models being harder. 8865 for example is straight forward - the longest step (step 18 if my 25 year memory is correct) is building the engine which has lots of parts, but is sub-stepped. Basically, as long as you got all the parts out, where they went was pretty easy to figure out - this is helped by having relatively few parts overall (900 odd I think - consider that 42093 has over half of that and is far smaller!)

42083 bugatti chiron. However I think lego technic can be even more complicated, especically with the upcoming spike prime parts.

it just means it will be less structurally stable but not "unstable". lego sets are often over-braced/overengineered.

4 hours ago, Idris said:

Dear Erik,

Many thanks for your detailed reply.

I will surely look at these threads, however, I would like this thread to be the 2019 version of them.

For example, in your opinion, including the newest which is the most complex?

Best Regards,

Idris

Then that needs to be specified in the title. We cant read your mind, demonstrated virtually every post containing sets not in the 2019 lineup.  Due to redundancy, perhaps this should be merged or locked.

1 hour ago, Frequenzberater said:

In my opinion 8868 is still the king. A lot of parts per step and a routing of pneumatic hoses from hell. 

+1

I've built all Technic flagsips starting with 853. I still have most of them in my collection. 8868 is the king. 

Edited by Interceptor

6 hours ago, nerdsforprez said:

Then that needs to be specified in the title. We cant read your mind, demonstrated virtually every post containing sets not in the 2019 lineup.  Due to redundancy, perhaps this should be merged or locked.

Dear nerdsforprez,

I think the thread goes perfectly, because I kindly wanted to know the most complex/hard LEGO Technic set ever in the members’ opinions from day one until today.

Therefore, the posts are perfectly relevant to the topic.

Many thanks for your comment.

Idris

well if you think the 42070 is "king" you need to build a lot more sets..

Pull on your big boy pants and build some of the MOC's out there that are only available as .lxf's then you really have to use your brain..

12 hours ago, Idris said:

Dear Erik.....

53 minutes ago, Idris said:

I think the thread goes perfectly, because I kindly wanted to know the most complex/hard LEGO Technic set ever in the members’ opinions from day one until today.

:wall:   :wall:   *huh*

Nerdsforprez is saying there is no time restraints on those other threads. You can ask there if any new sets have come along since the last post that take the top spot for either complexity or challenging building. But we're mini modding now so let's leave it there.

13 hours ago, Idris said:

which do you think is the “hardest to assemble”, complex/though, etc. You understood me.

After looking at problems that people have with sets that have more than one differential (42070, 42082 etc). I'd say that every set that could have wheels turning in opposite directions, if you don't pay attention to differential setup.

A lot depends on what exactly is meant by "hard". I mean, every set comes with instructions that tell you exactly how to build them. Therefore, there can be 2 difficulties: 1. interpreting the instructions, and 2. actually assembling the parts.

For 1. old sets usually win, because they take much bigger steps, and don't split the model into sensible sub-assemblies, so there's no "sense" in what you're doing. In new sets, you usually work at one thing at a time. In many old studded sets, you build many mechanisms in parallel, depending on how they happen to come up in the model. I fondly remember how 8448 broke with this habit and took the modular approach. Another thing about instructions is that I often find instructions about routing pneumatic hoses and electric wires, relatively hard to decipher.

For 2. what is hard, depends on motor skills (and finger size). The only things I personally find hard to do is tying knots in strings, and applying stickers. Also, the new pneumatic hoses are stiffer than the old ones, and I read that the crane of 42043 was a particularly hard-to-build sub-assembly. I never built 8455, but 8868 had a lot of pneumatics in a tight space too.

10 hours ago, suffocation said:

The hardest for me was 42030 because it was just so boring.

And lasted two days :laugh:

I think most complicated for me to build was 8880 because it was the first time to use transmission driving ring, but now I have more experience...

6 hours ago, nerdsforprez said:

:wall:   :wall:   *huh*

Sorry, but I think there is no need to act like this with these emojis above.

I am trying to be as kind as possible and I am a “newbie” here. I may not think as you think.

You could be as informative as allanp.

Whatever.

5 hours ago, Erik Leppen said:

A lot depends on what exactly is meant by "hard". I mean, every set comes with instructions that tell you exactly how to build them. Therefore, there can be 2 difficulties: 1. interpreting the instructions, and 2. actually assembling the parts.

For 1. old sets usually win, because they take much bigger steps, and don't split the model into sensible sub-assemblies, so there's no "sense" in what you're doing. In new sets, you usually work at one thing at a time. In many old studded sets, you build many mechanisms in parallel, depending on how they happen to come up in the model. I fondly remember how 8448 broke with this habit and took the modular approach. Another thing about instructions is that I often find instructions about routing pneumatic hoses and electric wires, relatively hard to decipher.

For 2. what is hard, depends on motor skills (and finger size). The only things I personally find hard to do is tying knots in strings, and applying stickers. Also, the new pneumatic hoses are stiffer than the old ones, and I read that the crane of 42043 was a particularly hard-to-build sub-assembly. I never built 8455, but 8868 had a lot of pneumatics in a tight space too.

Dear Erik,

Special thanks to your almost-philosophical reply..

This was what I kindly wanted to read, learn, understand and be informed, including some specific set codes..

I appreciate your patient, informative and detailed reply..

Best Regards,

Idris

6 hours ago, allanp said:

Nerdsforprez is saying there is no time restraints on those other threads. You can ask there if any new sets have come along since the last post that take the top spot for either complexity or challenging building. But we're mini modding now so let's leave it there.

Dear allanp,

Many thanks for your kind reply.

I simply do not care if there are any time-restraints on the other threads.

I thought, new and existing members can give their thoughts to this thread as well..

I don’t know if this is against the forum rules.

I just wanted to know what the members of this forum would talk about the thoughest to build/complex/hardest sets they have ever came accross with, that’s all.

If there is something wrong with the above, I can close or erase the topic.

Thanks for your patience and,

Best Regards,

Idris

3 hours ago, Idris said:

Sorry, but I think there is no need to act like this with these emojis above.

Sorry - this is my bad.  I need to pull back a little.  What I should of started with was a big "welcome to the forum!"

Sometimes us old guys get tired of old redundant posts but like Erik said the search engine is rather lousy for this site and you have found some great comments by others so it seems that the topic (again) has found a landing spot. 

To the topic at hand, honestly, I have not really found a Lego set that is really that hard to build. And that is not some manifestation of some great skill, because, honestly - I have none :laugh: I just don't really think that Lego products really are made for that.  In fact, I think they are more and more being geared towards making the build easy.  Less steps per page, more color vomit for L/R distinction, etc. are now becoming the norm.  Looks like people are commenting on the Bugatti.  I'll give another take:  I think the Bugatti has more color vomit for L/R distinction than any other set I have seen in the past (have not gotten to 42082 though).  Also, really it is one of the few that involves an axle in a pinhole instead of a pin in a pinhole in several areas of the build to aide in ease of the build at the sacrifice of strength (think of the marriage process - but there are several other places as well). So while others might think that it is a difficult build I think TLG really went out of their way to at least make it is easy as possible.  

I will say I did think the hoses in 42043 were a real pain in the rear.  Perhaps that was the hardest set to assemble for that reason.....

I don't normally buy official LEGO set due to the cost and LEGO don't normally make sets that function as I like. I tend to buy parts from Bricklink and then build the models I want. Hence why my collection is somewhat limited in both the type of parts I have and the overall size of my collection (only about 25000 parts in total inc my normal system bricks (which I never use)). Regardless, the most complex and hardest set I've ever built was 8448, it was a fun model to build and took 2 nights to build, chassis on first night and body work on the second night. Before that was 8842 that my brother gave me back in 1995.
The hardest and most complex model I've ever built (non set) is the ~16th scale artic lorry I'm currently building as it is almost entirely of a studless design which is something I've never done before, I'd always combine studded with studless to get the best of both building styles. Thread of this artic lorry will be published on here in a couple of weeks once I've finished it and am happy it's able to drive mile after mile without breaking.

Edited by MxWinters

1 hour ago, nerdsforprez said:

Sorry - this is my bad.  I need to pull back a little.  What I should of started with was a big "welcome to the forum!"

Sometimes us old guys get tired of old redundant posts but like Erik said the search engine is rather lousy for this site and you have found some great comments by others so it seems that the topic (again) has found a landing spot. 

To the topic at hand, honestly, I have not really found a Lego set that is really that hard to build. And that is not some manifestation of some great skill, because, honestly - I have none :laugh: I just don't really think that Lego products really are made for that.  In fact, I think they are more and more being geared towards making the build easy.  Less steps per page, more color vomit for L/R distinction, etc. are now becoming the norm.  Looks like people are commenting on the Bugatti.  I'll give another take:  I think the Bugatti has more color vomit for L/R distinction than any other set I have seen in the past (have not gotten to 42082 though).  Also, really it is one of the few that involves an axle in a pinhole instead of a pin in a pinhole in several areas of the build to aide in ease of the build at the sacrifice of strength (think of the marriage process - but there are several other places as well). So while others might think that it is a difficult build I think TLG really went out of their way to at least make it is easy as possible.  

I will say I did think the hoses in 42043 were a real pain in the rear.  Perhaps that was the hardest set to assemble for that reason.....

Dear nerdsforprez,

Thank you for the warm welcome :classic:.

I really wanted to ask what I wanted to ask above and that was it.

I think what you just gave me was a warm and big welcome to the club by your reply and I really mean it..

I am a 41 years-old CPA and LEGO Technic has always been my “love” for building things while clearing my mind.

After a decade past my latest Technic set, while searching for a duplo for my 3 years old nephew, I found myself in the “Wonderland”, again. 

And I understood that many things have changed but some didn’t.

Anyways, I really appreciate your precious contribution to my topic. It was most helpful.

Best Regards,

Idris

1 hour ago, MxWinters said:

I don't normally buy official LEGO set due to the cost and LEGO don't normally make sets that function as I like. I tend to buy parts from Bricklink and then build the models I want. Hence why my collection is somewhat limited in both the type of parts I have and the overall size of my collection (only about 25000 parts in total inc my normal system bricks (which I never use)). Regardless, the most complex and hardest set I've ever built was 8448, it was a fun model to build and took 2 nights to build, chassis on first night and body work on the second night. Before that was 8842 that my brother gave me back in 1995.
The hardest and most complex model I've ever built (non set) is the ~16th scale artic lorry I'm currently building as it is almost entirely of a studless design which is something I've never done before, I'd always combine studded with studless to get the best of both building styles. Thread of this artic lorry will be published on here in a couple of weeks once I've finished it and am happy it's able to drive mile after mile without breaking.

That’s incredible news and I would be waiting for your MOC (did I say it right?).

I always appreciate people who “create”. That’s why I watched almost 30 LEGO Technic mod and moc videos on YouTube and I was thrilled.

I am a 41 years old CPA and I understood that I missed LEGO Technic, a lot..

Many many thanks for your contribution to my topic.

Best Regards,

Idris

Ah this again, I still feel that none of the official sets are particularly difficult or hard for one who is able to follow instructions that is. If you want a real challenge MOC is where it's at.