ProvenceTristram

[MOC] Star Wolf-Class Battleship "HMS Dionard"

This took about 20 hours, over the course of three nights. I started with the stern and worked forwards (which some people may feel is unnatural, but I actually regard good-looking engines as the most important element of big starships, so that’s where I stepped off). It’s about 5,200 pieces without finished interiors, so my guess is that the completed model would be somewhere in the 5,900-part range – eminently doable, though certainly not a walk in the park. 

I went back and forth on both the front design, as well as the ski-jump. Ultimately, while it was a little on the risky side, I decided to utilize the inverted airplane tail for the ‘nose,’ largely because I didn't think it had been done before (though it does make the thing look a bit like the Concorde... but whatever :P). Even though the ski-jump mars the otherwise fairly clean lines of the hull, I found myself thinking back to the original SNES Star Fox (and how cool it was to launch down those long fighter bays) as I built that area, so I wanted that experience built into the ship.

The name of the vessel is rather obscure, but worthy for a wolf-based starship (it’s a brief, but sad read): http://archive.is/z5QYn

Features:
•    3 minifig-scale interior spaces (bridge, lounge/park, engineering).
•    An inter-connected fighter-bay and launch ski-jump (you can actually peer all the way down the jump conduit into the main bay).
•    Retractable/extendable thruster wings (via a crank on the port side).
•    Swooshable, rigid, multi-plate and block construction.
•    (Very) loosely based on EVE-Online’s Amarr Apocalypse-class battleship.

Stats:
Length: 1,500 m
Decks: 144
Crew: 2,500
Impulse Speed: 125 m/s
Warp Speed: 2.2 AU/s
Warp Calculation Time: 20 seconds

Armament:
-14x 30.5 cm laser rifles
-15x 10 gigaton nuclear missiles (supply of 90; speed 15 AU/s; range 1 lightyear)
-1x gamma-ray cannon
-40x quad point-defense ion guns

Spacecraft Compliment: 
-60x fighters
-30x light bombers
-10x heavy bombers
-10x armed reconnaissance craft
-6x dedicated crew shuttles
-4x assault dropships
-2x tugs
-1x admiral’s pinnace
(Room for several additional ships - small freighters, etc.)

0NbjmC5.png

PrWdpyi.jpg

FN4YWTS.jpg

I'll be posting one more photo of the back once it finishes rendering (and after I wake up). The engines will take a very long time to go through the rendering process because of all the silly clear pieces :P.

So, I came over here to take a look because of 'that other thread' about lack of comments :laugh:. And...I really like this. It reminds me of classic Sci-Fi shows like Blake's 7 where they didn't have the budget for elaborate special effects, but the ships always had innovative, quirky designs. I like the impression that, even though the manufacturers have given it a lick of paint, it has an industrial feel with the various pods, batteries, spikes, panels and so on. Cool work.

I also came here because of the other thread. Figured I'd see where you're at. Straight away I like it because I used to play eve and instantly get the Amarr vibe. 

Interesting part usage of the tail section for the nose, although it's giving me a feeling that it closer resembles a high speed train front end :look: you won't know unless you try though, so props for giving that part a go, and it has been implemented well, I just can't get high speed train thought out my head (and I'm not a train person either) but the rest of it, totally liking it. Makes me wonder what a brick built solution for the front would look like from you had you neglected the use of the tail part. 

I had started to design on LDD a smaller scale loosely based off the Amarr Harbinger (absolutely loved that ship and its style) but I suck at starting something from scratch and didn't know how to progress so it fell by the wayside... But this has made me want to carry on with it. 

While I might suck, and couldn't make something as clean as this, I feel the engine section looks too clean and may possibly benefit from even a little bit of greebles or tubing or something...? 

Edited by Fuppylodders

On 4/27/2019 at 3:14 PM, Fuppylodders said:

I also came here because of the other thread. Figured I'd see where you're at. Straight away I like it because I used to play eve and instantly get the Amarr vibe. 

Interesting part usage of the tail section for the nose, although it's giving me a feeling that it closer resembles a high speed train front end :look: you won't know unless you try though, so props for giving that part a go, and it has been implemented well, I just can't get high speed train thought out my head (and I'm not a train person either) but the rest of it, totally liking it. Makes me wonder what a brick built solution for the front would look like from you had you neglected the use of the tail part. 

I had started to design on LDD a smaller scale loosely based off the Amarr Harbinger (absolutely loved that ship and its style) but I suck at starting something from scratch and didn't know how to progress so it fell by the wayside... But this has made me want to carry on with it. 

While I might suck, and couldn't make something as clean as this, I feel the engine section looks too clean and may possibly benefit from even a little bit of greebles or tubing or something...? 

Part of the problem is that I really didn't have much room when it came to the engines - like, I could either eliminate engines, or greeble, but not both. I suppose I could nix a couple of the side ones - I'll have to think about it.

Thank you for the comments everyone.

*Edit* the funny thing is, you see a high speed train, and I see a giant rat :P. I had a lot of misgivings about going with the nose, too, but ultimately decided to cave to my fiance's wishes. 

Edited by ProvenceTristram