Spirit of Sir Edward - Class 2 Sloop

R      M      G      C      $      H
2      3       0       0      5       2

33806989198_4ce23584f6_c.jpg

40718190903_c521bdd116_c.jpg

46768530795_8333ee34a3_c.jpg

33806990948_9d3156c8cb_c.jpg

46768531315_39fdc5b293_c.jpg

Possibly my favorite build so far. C&C welcome!

Nice ship. Excellent shape, I like the upwards slope towards astern at the poop deck. Cool colourscheme and nice figurehead.
Are these all official Lego sails? Great job!

What I would consider is changing the yard beneath the bowsprit into a dolphin striker.
Like here:
dolphinstrikerfs.jpg

But overall a lovely ship.

Very nice ship, TS, and I love that figurehead! :wub:   Those sails look fantastic here as well, and the hull, while it doesn't quite look watertight, does do a great job of capturing the right shape :grin: :thumbup:

@Wellesley Great idea, I think I will replace the yard with a striker. The sails are based on those from the Imperial Flagship... I photoshopped the pattern, then used a fabric transfer to put it on sail cloth. They're much stiffer (and not vaguely transparent) like the IF, but a good match. I originally planned on just trimming IF sails into the shape I wanted :pir-cry_sad: but the gaff sail is too big to cut from the original Lego sail.

@Garmadon Thanks! As soon as I saw the cowboy costume, I KNEW it was going to be in a figurehead. And the hull... This started as an experiment to get the hull shape to work. More of a proof of concept. Lego ships always require compromise, I hate using the "plate by plate" method of getting the vertical lengthwise curve, I also don't like the cutting the build off without a little keel/curve (normally below the waterline). I think the build was successful, but there are some (literal) holes.

This is a great ship! Both idea and implementation worked really good. My favorite details are the stern microfigs, the masts/rigging (particularly the way the forward nearly horizontal mast is connected) and sails (glory to the IF) choices and the figurehead! If I had to change anything, it would be to work the hull a bit more (given bricks and time that is) but I really love this ship's overall appearance. Cheers! 

4 hours ago, blackdeathgr said:

This is a great ship! Both idea and implementation worked really good. My favorite details are the stern microfigs, the masts/rigging (particularly the way the forward nearly horizontal mast is connected) and sails (glory to the IF) choices and the figurehead! If I had to change anything, it would be to work the hull a bit more (given bricks and time that is) but I really love this ship's overall appearance. Cheers! 

Thanks!

Any suggestions for the hull? Usually I disassemble builds after a week or two, but this may be the second build that I leave assembled (she looks even better in person), if I do, I'd want her as perfect as can be, I'm adding the dolphin striker and a small hatch behind the mainsail.

@Ross Fisher high praise! thanks!!!

Hm, while I admit that working a small to mid-size hull is really hard, I would start from the ship builder's guild here in our forum, then check some same-size vessels from our more prominent shipbuilders of BOBS basically to get some ideas and then move ahead with a build of your own. However the road you decide to take, your vessel is still great as it is! 

Now I take time to comment on your beautiful ship ! :pir-laugh:

I first remark the great use of the stallion special piece as figurehead and found that brillliant !

Then the rest of the ship is greatly designed with good curves and the rigging is sober but well rendered. The stern is nice and I really like you added the golden microfigs around the window, it gives the ship even more personnality !

So congrats; it deserved a frontpage and now it is done ! :thumbup:

Thanks! :shark: She’s in pieces now, but the lessons learned about curves, lines, and colors are going towards something significantly bigger and better... hopefully the Spirit will live on... (done/photographed by August!)

9 hours ago, Wellesley said:

@TomSkippy Great to hear:) Looking forward to see it. Do you want to give any little hint or spoiler about what we can expect?:D

Im working on 4-5 brig/class 4 ships atm.

One is special. Working off other designs really sparked something. It has new techniques for ship curves, headrails, and a striking color scheme (medium dark flesh). I want to finish the other builds first, and I plan on actually rigging it, so I’m studying your most recent build to get a better handle on it.

1 hour ago, TomSkippy said:

One is special. Working off other designs really sparked something. It has new techniques for ship curves, headrails, and a striking color scheme (medium dark flesh). I want to finish the other builds first, and I plan on actually rigging it, so I’m studying your most recent build to get a better handle on it.

If you need detailed shots of a certain part, just tell me.

Good luck with the build!

Oh wow, now I just realized you wrote shipS, as in plural. And the 4-5 referred to their amount, not their class rating. I must have been a bit confused to not decipher it yesterday:D

Then I'm even more excited. I also have two new ships in mind, both copying designs and techniques from other builders. But it would be better to first finish the frigate and make sure, the Lydia is in a shape, I'm ok with. I was a bit stupid, all the time I was trying to add a third mast and extending the deck, but I could also just set one or more likely both masts a few studs astern.