RandomSniper109

Harry Potter 2020 - Rumors, Wishlists and Discussion

I'm starting to think we won't get any Diagon Alley sets in 2020 or 2021. We're getting a modular Hogwarts in this series (2018 to presumably 2021), which all interconnects to make one big playset. What if they make a modular Diagon Alley in the years afterwards (Ollivanders for the first film, Flourish & Blotts for the second, Leaky Cauldron for the third, etc) to give us characters in their "muggle attire", and standalone Hogwarts classoom sets with characters in their robes (Snape's Potions dungeon, Lockhart's Defence Against the Dark Arts Cornish Pixies classoom, etc), similar to the original Lego sets in 2001.

1 hour ago, Seaber said:

Diagon Alley is a tricky one, there are so many good locations but only a few are really prominent. The Leaky Cauldron, Gringotts, Ollivanders, Weasleys' Wizard Wheezes and Borgin and Burkes are obvious choices as important scenes happen in them. Flourish and Blotts is less memorable but still important. There are some shops which would still look great, maybe just as a facade, with window displays. The Apothecary for magical ingrediants, the Owl Emporium or Menagerie for magical animals, Ice Cream Parlour for magical food, Robes for All Occasions for magical clothing and the Quidditch shop for brooms and whatnot. A few stalls or carts would also be good. 

If they ever revisit Diagon Alley for a big set I think it's most likely for it to be a facade street containing upscaled versions of the buildings included in the microscale GWP

1 hour ago, Felkin said:

I'm starting to think we won't get any Diagon Alley sets in 2020 or 2021. We're getting a modular Hogwarts in this series (2018 to presumably 2021), which all interconnects to make one big playset. What if they make a modular Diagon Alley in the years afterwards (Ollivanders for the first film, Flourish & Blotts for the second, Leaky Cauldron for the third, etc) to give us characters in their "muggle attire", and standalone Hogwarts classoom sets with characters in their robes (Snape's Potions dungeon, Lockhart's Defence Against the Dark Arts Cornish Pixies classoom, etc), similar to the original Lego sets in 2001.

That would work very well but maybe it would be better for them to be around 60-80$ standalone sets that can be connected instead of modular buildings. The most important part of the shops are the buildings itself so I wouldn't mind to get facades if that means the sets will be a lot cheaper.

Lego have made several small Diagon Alley sets in the past;

1. 4714: Gringott's bank
  2. 4719: Quality Quidditch Supplies
  3. 4720: Knockturn Alley
  4. 4723: Diagon Alley Shops

And we have already gotten a D2C so maybe they want to make something else for a change next time? Would not surprise me at all and if we get small sets it increases the chance of getting something beside the 3-4 usual suspects if Lego make several sets down the line :shrug_oh_well:

Personally, I’d like to see a D2C that includes Gringotts, Ollivanders, Weasley’s Wizard Wheezes, Flourish and Blotts, and The Leaky Cauldron. And then I’d like Borgin and Burke to be a separate set on its own, depicting the scene from HBP.

2 hours ago, Roebuck said:

And we have already gotten a D2C so maybe they want to make something else for a change next time?

To be fair, there aren't that many locations they could base a D2C set on besides Hogwarts and Diagon Alley. There aren't that many locations to begin with, pretty much all the story happens between the castle walls. The only new place they could maybe focus on is Hogsmeade but I'm not sure there's enough interest in that place to warrant a big pricey set. The Ministry of Magic maybe? But that's got to be tough to represent correctly.

Don't get me wrong, I would be all for several smaller sets of Diagon Alley. Might even allow for a bigger Gringotts set in 2021 with the dragon and all.

5 hours ago, Guyon2002 said:

That would work very well but maybe it would be better for them to be around 60-80$ standalone sets that can be connected instead of modular buildings. The most important part of the shops are the buildings itself so I wouldn't mind to get facades if that means the sets will be a lot cheaper.

I think that's what Felkin meant, using a literal definition of modular, not necessarily sets akin to the Modular Buildings line. And that's exactly what I'd like to see too - but I don't think it would have to wait until after the current line of Hogwarts modules; there could easily be one of each at a time.

1 hour ago, Elrond said:

To be fair, there aren't that many locations they could base a D2C set on besides Hogwarts and Diagon Alley. There aren't that many locations to begin with, pretty much all the story happens between the castle walls. The only new place they could maybe focus on is Hogsmeade but I'm not sure there's enough interest in that place to warrant a big pricey set. The Ministry of Magic maybe? But that's got to be tough to represent correctly.

Don't get me wrong, I would be all for several smaller sets of Diagon Alley. Might even allow for a bigger Gringotts set in 2021 with the dragon and all.

I honestly think Hogsmeade would be a pretty good candidate for the next D2C; it's at least iconic enough to be represented in the Universal theme park. (I know I keep bringing up the parks, but to me they seem like the best indicator of public interest in particular locations.) Of course, that's assuming another D2C set would focus on a location - the spectacular new T. rex set coming soon kind of has me hoping for a huge brick-built magical creature of some kind.

2 hours ago, tafkatb said:

I think that's what Felkin meant, using a literal definition of modular, not necessarily sets akin to the Modular Buildings line. And that's exactly what I'd like to see too - but I don't think it would have to wait until after the current line of Hogwarts modules; there could easily be one of each at a time.

This. Like the current Hogwarts sets can be collected and clicked together to make a larger playset, I thought several smaller Diagon Alley shops that can be collected to make the whole Diagon Alley (and Borgin & Burkes from Knockturn Alley) sounds like something Lego would do. I wouldn't say no to a D2C of Diagon Alley (like a larger version of 2011's Diagon Alley set), but since the Hogwarts Castle D2C is a "display piece" rather than a playset, I think Lego is likely to keep playsets as "regular" sets.

8 hours ago, tafkatb said:

I honestly think Hogsmeade would be a pretty good candidate for the next D2C; it's at least iconic enough to be represented in the Universal theme park. (I know I keep bringing up the parks, but to me they seem like the best indicator of public interest in particular locations.) Of course, that's assuming another D2C set would focus on a location - the spectacular new T. rex set coming soon kind of has me hoping for a huge brick-built magical creature of some kind.

Fun fact (if I’m remembering correctly) the interior of the Three Broomsticks was actually designed and built for the theme park before it was built and filmed in the 6th movie, so the theme parks do have some precedence. With the places that actually fully appear in the movies you’ve already got The Three Broomsticks, The Hog’s Head, Honeydukes’, and the Shrieking Shack. Add on Zonko’s and any other well known locations (such a shame the parks don’t have Madam Puddifoot’s :tongue:) and you’ve got more than enough for a D2C, you’ve just got to choose which buildings. 

As for the giant magical creatures, I don’t think anyone would mind a Horntail do over. 

5 hours ago, Felkin said:

I wouldn't say no to a D2C of Diagon Alley (like a larger version of 2011's Diagon Alley set), but since the Hogwarts Castle D2C is a "display piece" rather than a playset, I think Lego is likely to keep playsets as "regular" sets.

I don’t see why just because one Harry Potter D2C is a ‘display piece’ (which still has a very doll house feeling interior and plenty of characters) that Lego can’t do other Harry Potter D2Cs that are system scale. They do plenty of both for other themes like Star Wars (just look at your average UCS spaceship vs the Cloud City set). 

10 hours ago, Felkin said:

[...] several smaller Diagon Alley shops that can be collected to make the whole Diagon Alley (and Borgin & Burkes from Knockturn Alley) sounds like something Lego would do [...]

Except it’s probably too late for that, unless you expect the theme to continue well into the 2020s :grin: Even if they started to release two waves a year, it’d still take them ages to release a presentable Diagon Alley if it’s one building per wave. I don’t oppose the idea, but a D2C would be far more likely in my opinion :classic:

Edited by Lego-Freak

Hogsmeade would be great, but it could be seen to be treading on the toes of Lego's Winter Village sets.

Also, would Lego make sets based on the Leaky Cauldron, Hog's Head and Three Broomsticks? As far as I know they've never made a pub/bar before. 

3 hours ago, Seaber said:

As far as I know they've never made a pub/bar before. 

I think there was a ‘tavern’ in the Pirates of the Caribbean theme. The Captain’s Daughter or a name like that. So, maybe? 

3 hours ago, Seaber said:

Hogsmeade would be great, but it could be seen to be treading on the toes of Lego's Winter Village sets.

Also, would Lego make sets based on the Leaky Cauldron, Hog's Head and Three Broomsticks? As far as I know they've never made a pub/bar before. 

I think there's a bit more wiggle room when it comes to fantasy settings, because Star Wars and The Hobbit have both had bar-ish sets as well.

11 minutes ago, Mr Spielbrick said:

I think there was a ‘tavern’ in the Pirates of the Caribbean theme. The Captain’s Daughter or a name like that. So, maybe? 

1 minute ago, tafkatb said:

I think there's a bit more wiggle room when it comes to fantasy settings, because Star Wars and The Hobbit have both had bar-ish sets as well.

Both good points! I forgot about all of those, really hopeful for at least one of those pubs becoming a set :) 

10 hours ago, Seaber said:

I don’t think so really, Hogsmeade is always covered in snow, but the Winter Village sets have a distinct holiday theme which isn’t present in those scenes. Besides, many of the people collecting the Harry Potter sets won’t be too interested in the winter village sets, so I doubt they’ll be taking business away. Plus, is Lego really going to complain if some winter village collectors grabs Honeydukes and the Three Broomsticks to beef up their winter village display?

10 hours ago, Lego-Freak said:

Except it’s probably too late for that, unless you expect the theme to continue well into the 2020s :grin: Even if they started to release two waves a year, it’d still take them ages to release a presentable Diagon Alley if it’s one building per wave. I don’t oppose the idea, but a D2C would be far more likely in my opinion :classic:

I’m beginning to think that we might at least get Gringott’s and Weasleys’ Wizarding Wheezes as separate sets. If nothing else it means they can make those sets fully based off DH and HBP respectively, while having the bulk of the Alley in the D2C be based off the first two movies. It helps that neither building shares a wall with the main block of shops in the alley, and by doing those two separately the smaller shops in the D2C (Ollivander’s, Florish and Blott’s, etc.) would get a little more attention design wise. 

48 minutes ago, Accio Lego said:

I’m beginning to think that we might at least get Gringott’s and Weasleys’ Wizarding Wheezes as separate sets. If nothing else it means they can make those sets fully based off DH and HBP respectively, while having the bulk of the Alley in the D2C be based off the first two movies. It helps that neither building shares a wall with the main block of shops in the alley, and by doing those two separately the smaller shops in the D2C (Ollivander’s, Florish and Blott’s, etc.) would get a little more attention design wise. 

That would be a excellent way to do it, the D2C could maybe include 5-6 of the smaller shops. Hopefully one of them is Eeylops Owl Emporium, we really need some more owls in the sets :hmpf:

Edited by Roebuck

3 minutes ago, Roebuck said:

That would be a excellent way to do it, the D2C could maybe include 5-6 of the smaller shops. Hopefully one of them is Eeylops Owl Emporium, we really need some more owls in the sets :hmpf:

You sure love your owls :laugh_hard:

1 hour ago, Accio Lego said:

I don’t think so really, Hogsmeade is always covered in snow, but the Winter Village sets have a distinct holiday theme which isn’t present in those scenes. Besides, many of the people collecting the Harry Potter sets won’t be too interested in the winter village sets, so I doubt they’ll be taking business away. Plus, is Lego really going to complain if some winter village collectors grabs Honeydukes and the Three Broomsticks to beef up their winter village display?

The only problem I foresee with that is if you take out three of the most iconic buildings to use as separate sets (Borgin and Burke [which I know is on Knockturn Alley, but we may as well include it since it was in the last one], Weasley’s Wizard Wheezes, and Gringotts, then will the set appeal to enough people to sell well enough to release? The o my truly iconic shop left would be Ollivander’s. Obviously those of us who are hard core fans wouldn’t mind and would still buy it, but it may not really appeal to many others if you remove the more iconic buildings.

1 hour ago, Balrogofmorgoth said:

The only problem I foresee with that is if you take out three of the most iconic buildings to use as separate sets (Borgin and Burke [which I know is on Knockturn Alley, but we may as well include it since it was in the last one], Weasley’s Wizard Wheezes, and Gringotts, then will the set appeal to enough people to sell well enough to release? The o my truly iconic shop left would be Ollivander’s. Obviously those of us who are hard core fans wouldn’t mind and would still buy it, but it may not really appeal to many others if you remove the more iconic buildings.

I just asked my friends which 3 buildings from Diagon Alley they would choose for a big set (take in mind they aren't fans of the HP franchise). Their picks we're Gringotts, WWW and Ollivanders (or in their words: the bank with the dragon, the wandshop and the Ginger twins' shop :laugh_hard:).

So if their ''general'' opinion is anything to go by I don't think a D2C would work without the most iconic buildings

2 hours ago, Balrogofmorgoth said:

I think you’re overestimating how iconic Borgin and Burke’s is, especially in relation to Diagon Alley. Frankly, I consider its inclusion in the 2011 set one of the drawbacks - I’d much rather have had the twins’ shop or Flourish and Blott’s. Besides, if we’re going by historical sets, back in 2001-02 there were small sets for Quality Quidditch Supplies, the Magical Menagerie, and a general magical supplies shop. 

I think an important thing to remember is that even if the non-fans don’t know the names of all the shops, they can get excited about the magical contents and feel of them. Plus, one could argue that a $400 model of Hogwarts would only appeal the the ‘super fans’ as well, but the current D2C seems to be selling well enough. 

13 hours ago, Accio Lego said:

I think you’re overestimating how iconic Borgin and Burke’s is, especially in relation to Diagon Alley. 

Iconic enough to have been included in two sets before :grin: But I agree, I’d prefer a D2C Diagon Alley without Borgin and Burke’s to make space for more shops that are actually located in DA. 

4 hours ago, Lego-Freak said:

Iconic enough to have been included in two sets before :grin: But I agree, I’d prefer a D2C Diagon Alley without Borgin and Burke’s to make space for more shops that are actually located in DA. 

True, it’s a notable location, but I think most people wouldn’t immediately associate it with Diagon Alley, either because they know it’s not a proper part of the Alley or because there are so many more notable store that are in the Alley itself. 

In any case, I think it’s better suited to being a stand alone set next wave if only to flesh out the number of HBP sets. Particularly because it’s likely to fall into the $30-40 range. 

17 minutes ago, Accio Lego said:

True, it’s a notable location, but I think most people wouldn’t immediately associate it with Diagon Alley, either because they know it’s not a proper part of the Alley or because there are so many more notable store that are in the Alley itself. 

In any case, I think it’s better suited to being a stand alone set next wave if only to flesh out the number of HBP sets. Particularly because it’s likely to fall into the $30-40 range. 

Oh I definitely agree with you, I would prefer it to be its own set

On 6/17/2019 at 9:36 AM, Seaber said:

There's one in the Detective's Office set. There's also a few cantina sets in the Star Wars line if that counts. I don't think that would be an issue really.

10 hours ago, Elrond said:

There's one in the Detective's Office set. There's also a few cantina sets in the Star Wars line if that counts. I don't think that would be an issue really.

When you look at Lego’s guidelines for, say, an Ideas contest, they specifically warn against depictions of alcohol use in ‘present day’ settings. Theoretically, that means fantasy, sci-fi or historical settings are ok. Plus, it’s not like butterbeer is alcoholic. 

31 minutes ago, Accio Lego said:

When you look at Lego’s guidelines for, say, an Ideas contest, they specifically warn against depictions of alcohol use in ‘present day’ settings. Theoretically, that means fantasy, sci-fi or historical settings are ok. Plus, it’s not like butterbeer is alcoholic. 

Oh, well that's a little unfair if the fictional and historical characters are allowed to get drunk but the City minifigs aren't. :grin:

Yeah I was thinking about that too, the 3 Broomsticks Inn and their butterbeers are pretty tame. Although I remember Slughorn somehow got a bit tipsy in the 6th movie... but maybe he was drinking something stronger.