azzer86

[MOC] Tatooine Building - Simple House [TAT01] (Instructions)

Hi all - I’d like to present to you my interpretation of a Tatooine themed MOC building. It is the first of several planned builds I have for this 'theme'. I plan to label these as TATxx where xx increases with each build.

It is based on background buildings seen in Episodes I and IV, whilst also drawing on the buildings in the SW BF2 game with my own spin/interpretation of it – i.e. what I think looks aesthetically pleasing and fits into the Tatooine 'world'.

It contains a detachable roof which can be customised. For example, the dome piece (and mounting point) can be removed to create a flatter, large vent system instead. There is also a functioning door with two possible colours advised – one in DBG like those in Lego's own Mos Eisley sets, and a more movie accurate dark orange colour for extra customisation. This opening door function is neatly hidden away at the side of the building.

The interior is mostly empty - mainly left up to your own interpretation, but I’ve included suggestions for light, gun and binoculars within the instructions. The removable roof allows easy access to provide extra scope and playability. One example that I like to think this is, is a home for a Mos Eisley Cantina patron with 'homemade aerials' trying to capture the local broadcasts or streaming the pod racing.

The building really 'comes alive' when figures and details outside give it a richer experience.

Any comments are welcome and please leave a message/query if you spot an error within the instructions. I shall try my best to quickly correct it.

The instructions are available here:

https://rebrickable.com/mocs/MOC-26468/azzer86/tatooine-single-house-building-tat01

1280x960.jpg

1280x960.jpg

1280x696.jpg

Original post hidden in the spoiler.

Spoiler

Hi all - I’d like to present to you my interpretation of a Tatooine themed MOC building. It is the first of several planned builds I have for this 'theme'.

It is based on buildings seen in Episodes I and IV and also the videogame SW BF2 with my own spin on it – i.e. what I think looks aesthetically pleasing.

It contains a detachable roof which can be customised, e.g. remove the dome pieces to reveal a vent system. My favourite part of the build is a functioning door with two possible colours – one in Lego’s own DBG from their own sets, and a more accurate dark orange colour for customisation. This function is neatly hidden away. I went through about 5-6 iterations to get the door and steps to look right!

The interior is mainly left up to your own interpretation, but I’ve included a basic chair for a bar worker or local to relax after a busy day. The removable roof allows easy access to provide extra scope and playability.

I'm in the process of making instructions and LDD model is pretty much complete- just making minor adjustments as I go along. (e.g. Greebling parts. I like to think all the 'homemade aerials' are trying to capture the radio and streaming the pod racing :classic:).

These photos as of today's post may not truly reflect the final build - I've swapped a handful of pieces in the build vs. the LDD file where I had to make substitutes where I didn't quite have enough/the right parts.

Any comments are welcome and may be used to be considered in the finalise the design for the instructions.

(P.S. the model in the background is my own Mos Eisley Cantina. This was built about 2 years ago and I never got round to finishing it...)

Enjoy!

1280x960.jpg

1280x960.jpg
[Door open]

1280x960.jpg
[Little short for a stormtrooper?]

1280x960.jpg
[Minimal Interior - Detachable Lid/Roof]

1280x960.jpg
[Dark orange door - not final design. I don't currently have enough of piece 2877 to match the same style as the DBG door]

800x1128.jpg
[Instructions Sample]

1920x1121.jpg
[Final LDCad example]
1280x960.jpg
[Dewback / Creature mounting ring]
640x445.jpg
[Mounting ring based on SW:BF2 screenshot]

Edited by azzer86
Deleted old photo

nice simplified building, captured that planet's color scheme. Do you design it as one part of your Tatooine town? Guess it will be modulization. my 2 cents: how about adding some relevant color scheme plates on the ground casually, make the terrian more wild.

Very nice! I like the use of the stickered element on top of the door. 

15 hours ago, JoeChu1980 said:

nice simplified building, captured that planet's color scheme. Do you design it as one part of your Tatooine town? Guess it will be modulization. my 2 cents: how about adding some relevant color scheme plates on the ground casually, make the terrian more wild.

Thanks :classic:. Yes I plan to make a small scene with 3-4 buildings. My main focus is on the buildings themselves, I neglected the ground for the purposes of the photo (as the 'ground detailing' is not part of the planned instructions really beyond the bin)

13 hours ago, Daddy_Stardust said:

Absolutely excellent, love what you've done!

1 hour ago, Kristof said:

That's pretty great!

2 hours ago, Reaper said:

Very nice! I like the use of the stickered element on top of the door. 

Thanks :classic:. Its from the latest Cantina (75205) set so probably translates into something unrelated to the building, but I thought it gave it more of a SW feel.

I realised I didn't include a photo of the dark orange door. Now edited the main post to include it.

Also - I didn't take a photo of the dome piece removed (I did describe it). Under it is a black 4285 piece sitting on a tan 6143 piece - making the roof customisable giving it a 'big vent' feel.

On 4/24/2019 at 10:21 AM, azzer86 said:

Thanks :classic:. Its from the latest Cantina (75205) set so probably translates into something unrelated to the building, but I thought it gave it more of a SW feel

It actually just says "Cantina". But it looks good there regardless. :)

On ‎4‎/‎25‎/‎2019 at 4:39 PM, roadstermatt said:

looks great

On ‎4‎/‎28‎/‎2019 at 10:43 AM, CedBricks said:

Neat! It does the trick for sure, really good build!

Thank you both for the praise :classic:

On ‎4‎/‎26‎/‎2019 at 2:02 PM, Moppo said:

It actually just says "Cantina". But it looks good there regardless. :)

I assumed there was a translator for it somewhere, I do like the sticker being used here, even if it is not strictly accurate.

-------------------

General update:

LDCad model is finished and I'm in the process of making the instructions - new photos added to original post. I'm also trying to work out a few issues with uploading to BrickLink ("Error mapping LDraw item"), but that's a separate post, unless someone can PM me with some support? Anyway, I hope to get these finished soon, so I can start on the next Tatooine building!

The dark orange 'optional second' door won't use the pieces I intended as 2877 doesn't come in this colour...

I've also included what I've nicknamed 'Creature mounting ring' - I've seen these in the background of SWBF2 game and I assume it is to tie up a Dewback, Bantha or some other large creature. See original post for photo/screenshot.

Enjoy :classic:

2 hours ago, azzer86 said:

I assumed there was a translator for it somewhere, I do like the sticker being used here, even if it is not strictly accurate

There probably is one out there, but I usually just look up the Aurebesh on Wookieepedia. :)

Hi all - just an update. Instructions are now available here:

https://rebrickable.com/mocs/MOC-26468/azzer86/tatooine-single-house-building-tat01

I'll offer a 25% coupon to any Eurobricks members if you wish to purchase these - just send me a message and I'll get back to you. (End date for coupon is 30-Nov-19)

(Original post now hidden by spoiler and main text/photo replaced with final version)

Thanks for looking! :classic: