Wellesley

[PA CUP - Cat B - Class 1] Orion

Finally the last faction receives its gift. I had some of the black ninja glider wings and originally wanted to use those to build a Xebec.
Then, searching for some pictures of jib booms, I came across this plan:
a2dded179b292bf0a1b50391ac49ca8f.jpg

Looked like a fine inspiration to me.

I intend this to be a pilot or survey boat. She is called Orion and hopefully is a great addition to the Oleon fleet.
33794785408_834649a255_n.jpg 47672206441_51331006e6_n.jpg 33794787158_fbd1f73d8c_n.jpg 47672207311_51a5877e6e_n.jpg 33794789568_d892ed24dd_n.jpg 47672207731_cdb9e36e51_n.jpg 33794794248_03922ddba6_n.jpg 47672208861_735cbf23e3_n.jpg 33794791988_f91f27fc5d_n.jpg 47672208491_fe77fda02a_n.jpg

I had so much luck with the bricks this time. Wasn't going to include any blue originally. But I had not enough red tiles, so I assumed that blue would provide me with the necessary pieces. That is where the railings originate from. Didn't even know, I had these four flexi tubes. And then even in the right length:)

The only thing I had to give up was trying to slope the door a bit. On this scale I have just not found a solution for a smooth transition. Too many visible gaps beneath the roof and not enough space to fit some cover techniques.

Greetings,
Wellesley

Nice little boat ! I like the spanker mast and the shaping of the hull !

Should we consider it as a challenge III entry or just a boat for Oleon (and you) ?

Well, now it is official, she's in the race:)
Will add stats and a storyline later, when I have a better overview.

By the way, does anyone know how this ship class is called? Found the plan only by accident.

Lovely little boat, Wellesley. Nice colour scheme and great looking deckhouse. I like the technique you have used for the hull. The parts usage for the leeboard is very clever too!

The type is a yawl, I would say (look it up in Wikipedia). It has a very small second mast far aft, which would probably mainly serve for balance. Otherwise, one might call it a lugger or ketch, but I think yawl is most accurate.

Remember that entering her into the challenge will give you a free license for her, so the oleanders better be happy, getting a licensed ship! :)

@Bregir Thanks a lot, seems to be the proper type name.
Well, licensed ships still can be seized, right?:D Now l have to license my other gifts, too. If anyone from Eslandola or the Sea Rats wants to license the Fishing Boat or the Pontoon Crane, just message me. It will then be available for your usage.

Back to the Orion, this will be her stats:

R  M  G  C  $  H
3   5   0  0  1  0

How much space does one cargo unit equal?

Edited by Wellesley

That's a nice looking little boat, I like the nicely shaped hull, thank you for building such a beauty for us.

Love the small boat. Again great work with the sails and the colourscheme is also nice. Looks very realistic, especially the surfing board (Y) 

23 hours ago, Wellesley said:

How much space does one cargo unit equal?

My understanding is that, if you wanted to transport troops, one unit of cargo equals ten men. One unit of crew equals five men. You'd think that the seasoned sailors would take up less room than the soldiers, but you've probably got to consider personal effects, and all of the officers needing their own cabins...

Ah ok, thanks. I thought cargo would be...well, cargo. Not people.
So actually it doesn't make much sense to give the Orion a stat point there. Ten people or the equivalent in trading goods would never fit into that little cabin.
Maybe I should get another range or hull point instead. But I haven't seen many vessels with four or more range points around so far. So giving her a fifth, despite the fact that other ships have far more sail area, would be a bit absurd.

Cargo allows you to make many trading. A ship with no cargo would in game terms only function as a warship, as there is no in game purpose of a ship that can't trade or can't fight.

A little vessel like this would probably be for trading, and should hence have a cargo stat. For a short trip, it could probably jam on some soldiers (if the cargo stat is used for that), but its primary purpose would likely be inshore trade between nearby settlements, I should think. :)

On 4/24/2019 at 9:30 AM, Wellesley said:

Ten people or the equivalent in trading goods would never fit into that little cabin.

Sorry, I did mean to imply the equivalency. Thanks for picking it up. Maybe not in the cabin, but below the waterline or on deck? I reckon you've got space for sacks or goods. Possibly nets of fish?

Thanks for the ship Wellesley! It is a beauty and one can learn from its hull design. The 3 stars adorning her are the 3 wins in a row for Oleon at the boat race? Or is it one for every 10 wins? :tongue:

7 hours ago, blackdeathgr said:

Thanks for the ship Wellesley! It is a beauty and one can learn from its hull design. The 3 stars adorning her are the 3 wins in a row for Oleon at the boat race? Or is it one for every 10 wins? :tongue:

Wait, Oleon has won a bunch in a row? Must be the gods, cuz I always thought you guys were more about fashion than seamanship!! :pir_tong2:

Edit: @Wellesley I’m planning on borrowing your hull design for a future build... it’s fantastic

Edited by TomSkippy

1 hour ago, TomSkippy said:

Wait, Oleon has won a bunch in a row? Must be the gods, cuz I always thought you guys were more about fashion than seamanship!! :pir_tong2:

Edit: @Wellesley

All praise Poseidon! :tongue:

Edited by blackdeathgr

Thanks to all!

On 4/26/2019 at 9:34 PM, TomSkippy said:

Edit: @Wellesley I’m planning on borrowing your hull design for a future build... it’s fantastic

Great to hear. Tell me, if you need more photos.