Vonsek

LEGO 2019 Stranger Things Rumours Discussion

Recommended Posts

6 minutes ago, Brick Cucumber said:

Exactly, she was a complex character who added a lot to the story, even through her death. I re-watched the series with my Mum and she instantly picked out Barb as a iconic character, her style and such really make her stand out which is reflected by the fact that the community instantly loved this side character. I don't know why people keep underselling her.

I won’t disagree with your other points (except style, violently bad 80s style) but she wasn’t complex. She was pretty much a one-note character in writing terms. Her purpose was to represent the type of girl Nancy was before she met Steve. She only exists to actually make Nancy more complex.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Anyone here think @Ashnflash's design for Barb was better than Lego's? Personally, I at least think his choice of hairpiece was more fitting. :shrug_confused:

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I find it really weird, because Lego THEMSELVES used this design for the missing poster, which looks more similar to Jay's new hairpiece than the Superman hair they used.

47076025944_c22e04e346.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Brick Cucumber said:

I find it really weird, because Lego THEMSELVES used this design for the missing poster, which looks more similar to Jay's new hairpiece than the Superman hair they used.

Well, maybe that illustrated hairpiece has the same volume as TLNM Jay's hairpiece, but its shaping is still closer to the DCEU Superman hairpiece they did use:

71019-7.jpg?201707010640

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, Lyichir said:

The fans who get them don't hate them. And their main purpose is to drive interest in Lego's presence at the con whether or not people win them. 

I'm sorry, what?

Yes the fans who get them obviously love shelling out to scalpers because isn't that just super fun...  on a more serious note I understand that some people will see these things as having more value to them merely because they're exclusive but that value is entirely artificial, it didn't cost Lego more to make it than any other minifigure of similar detail. Rarity is created here by purposefully making the supply way lower than the demand.

Revealing a new set early also raises exposure, the figs only really affect people at the con positively and even then they could still miss out Or what about an early release exclusive or one that can be built out of already available parts? 

Yeah, it's not the biggest problem in the world and yeah it's mostly silly or obscure variant costumes but it's still not very consumer friendly. 

Quote

Pretty much every major booth has some form of exclusive on offer and Lego not having any available could lead people to overlook them entirely in favor of competitors.

Yeah but 'people' overlooking them at comic-con is hardly an issue it's not like the world's biggest toy company is gonna totally get ignored just cause everyone had a fair chance to get a lego Barbra Holland. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, Balrogofmorgoth said:

I would probably use the 2010-11 Professor Lupin hair piece for her

This looks more accurate to the one pictured on the sticker. My bad.

7 hours ago, Lyichir said:

Pretty much every major booth has some form of exclusive on offer and Lego not having any available could lead people to overlook them entirely in favor of competitors.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but don't Funko and others still sell those exclusives elsewhere for people who can't get to the con.

With Lego making a stand against regional exclusives and proving it can be done with the Vader bust, this is a massive slap in the face to any fans. Not even mentioning the fact it's a fan favorite character.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ya know, Lego could potentially "retcon" this exclusive by giving us a variant figure of her character in some sorta retail-wide offering, namely a figure of her in her blue jacket and pink cable knit sweater, the last outfit she's seen wearing that is. :shrug_oh_well:

1 hour ago, Balrogofmorgoth said:

I would probably use the 2010-11 Professor Lupin hair piece for her

1 hour ago, jimmynick said:

I agree - the hairpiece is something of a letdown. But that doesn't diminish the fact that a fan favourite is a SDCC exclusive!

edit: as old-school as it is, I would go with this wig: https://www.bricklink.com/v2/catalog/catalogitem.page?P=43751#T=C

Huh, though it hasn't been seen since 2011, I wonder if that's truly an extinct piece. It is sorta fitting. :shrug_confused:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Brick Cucumber said:

I find it really weird, because Lego THEMSELVES used this design for the missing poster, which looks more similar to Jay's new hairpiece than the Superman hair they used.

They did the same with Sirius Black in the new Harry Potter line. The poster in last years' Hogwarts Express set showed him with a hairpiece similair to Mad-Eye Moody's but he ended up getting Old Man Luke's hair (which I actually like a lot better)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Digger of Bricks said:

Anyone here think @Ashnflash's design for Barb was better than Lego's? Personally, I at least think his choice of hairpiece was more fitting. :shrug_confused:

 

I think Lego's version ist pretty much spot on

 

barb.jpg?quality=90&strip=all&w=618&h=41

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, incognito said:

I think Lego's version ist pretty much spot on

I think it kinda was the only choice. Most Lego hairpieces in that style sweep left, this is one of the few that goes to the right.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

I kinda agree, it’s the only one that somewhat fits :classic: The often suggested Starlet hairpiece is a tad too voluminous and doesn’t sweep to the proper side

Edited by Lego-Freak

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
17 hours ago, Lyichir said:

The fans who get them don't hate them.

I will buy one and yet I hate this exclusive crap so much. I would much rather spend $400 on something more useful, but since I'm a collector and this is one of my favourite franchises of all time, I don't really have a choice other than getting it. Yes, I'm happy we're getting Barb, NO I'm not happy that this will sell for double the price of the D2C.

This is just bullsh..

Edited by Puresh

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Lego-Freak said:

I kinda agree, it’s the only one that somewhat fits :classic: The often suggested Starlet hairpiece is a tad too voluminous and doesn’t sweep to the proper side

Same. The Superman hairpiece is not ideal but it works just fine. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/18/2019 at 7:54 AM, Puresh said:

I think it's very obvious that there won't be a CMF Series for ST due to the adult nature of the show but it's entirely possible that there'll be a SDCC exclusive set or figure and I'm scared to death even thinking about that 

You did this :head_back: I didn’t know jynxing was a superpower, but apparently it is. Can you please publicly state the following: “I hope there won’t a second D2C next year”. Thanks :moar:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Brick Cucumber said:
4 hours ago, incognito said:

I think Lego's version ist pretty much spot on

I think it kinda was the only choice. Most Lego hairpieces in that style sweep left, this is one of the few that goes to the right.

1 hour ago, Lego-Freak said:

I kinda agree, it’s the only one that somewhat fits :classic: The often suggested Starlet hairpiece is a tad too voluminous and doesn’t sweep to the proper side

While the Superman hairpiece technically fits the bill in all those mentioned respects, I still would've prefered the Hollywood Starlet's hairpiece. It just seems to somehow work better with the Lego Minifigure's proportions in respect to the character's appearance. :shrug_confused:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Lego-Freak said:

You did this :head_back: I didn’t know jynxing was a superpower, but apparently it is. Can you please publicly state the following: “I hope there won’t a second D2C next year”. Thanks :moar:

Thank god he/she didnt vow to eat it this time around

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Robert8 said:

Thank god he/she didnt vow to eat it this time around

That would be quite a pricey snack... I'll stick to Joyce

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Have SDCC exclusives ever had alternate faces? It would be truly worth the 3rd party prices if Barb had an alternate face with the slug in her mouth...

Edited by stroud1492

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, stroud1492 said:

Have SDCC exclusives ever had alternate faces? It would be truly worth the 3rd party prices if Barb had an alternate face with the slug in her mouth...

I don't believe they do, and besides that I don't think lego would recreate that scene as it's a tad bit too nasty

Edited by Guyon2002

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Guyon2002 said:

I don't believe they do, and besides that I don't think lego would recreate that scene as it's a tad bit too nasty

True true, forgot about the rest of that scene. Still holding out for a Starcourt Mall set in the future...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, Digger of Bricks said:

Anyone here think @Ashnflash's design for Barb was better than Lego's? Personally, I at least think his choice of hairpiece was more fitting. :shrug_confused:

 

No. Lego’s is way better. More accurate hairpiece and a better torso print.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, stroud1492 said:

Have SDCC exclusives ever had alternate faces? It would be truly worth the 3rd party prices if Barb had an alternate face with the slug in her mouth...

I've heard from people trying to recreate the design that the figure does have an alternate expression but I'm not sure what their source is.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, Agent Kallus said:

I'm sorry, what?

Yes the fans who get them obviously love shelling out to scalpers because isn't that just super fun...  on a more serious note I understand that some people will see these things as having more value to them merely because they're exclusive but that value is entirely artificial, it didn't cost Lego more to make it than any other minifigure of similar detail. Rarity is created here by purposefully making the supply way lower than the demand.

Revealing a new set early also raises exposure, the figs only really affect people at the con positively and even then they could still miss out Or what about an early release exclusive or one that can be built out of already available parts? 

Yeah, it's not the biggest problem in the world and yeah it's mostly silly or obscure variant costumes but it's still not very consumer friendly. 

Yeah but 'people' overlooking them at comic-con is hardly an issue it's not like the world's biggest toy company is gonna totally get ignored just cause everyone had a fair chance to get a lego Barbra Holland. 

 

I meant fans who get them at the con itself... the people it's designed for. Believe it or not, not EVERYONE who goes to Comic-Con is a scalper. There are in fact people who win figures they like and leave happy.

This is tiresome and utterly predictable. Before this figure was announced, it would've been easy to assume that Barb's appearance as a minifigure would remain limited to a printed image on a sticker in the Stranger Things set. After all, she's a fairly minor character who only appeared in one season of the show—even if another set were made it would more likely focus on settings from subsequent seasons and starring characters like Nancy, Steve, and Jonathan, rather than a character whose only appearances in the series were tragic and not especially family friendly. Now the figure does exist, albeit for a select few, and people lose their heads in anger over something that, if not for this release, might not have existed at all. It's dumb and yet it happens literally every year when some obscure Batman variant or whatever gets released.

But if you really want these exclusives to stop happening, continuing to make a stink about them is probably the best way to do it. For me personally, I think it's kind of selfish to throw a tantrum over something you can't have and potentially make it go away for the people who do get to enjoy it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.