Vonsek

LEGO Stranger Things Rumours Discussion

7 minutes ago, Brick Cucumber said:

I sincerely doubt that the Bricks and Pieces customer service rep has insider info on what themes and sets the higher ups are planning. I think it was more along the lines of friendly small-talk. But I think it reflects on how popular the idea is, so there's that...

True and it lessens the chance of a set for season 3. Figured they wouldn’t with all the gore. 

3 hours ago, stroud1492 said:

True and it lessens the chance of a set for season 3. Figured they wouldn’t with all the gore. 

I've said this before and I'll say it again, the "gore" in season 3 is over the top to the point that it's cartoonish. The big blood monsters are goofy in a way. It's also not the first time we've seen melting people in an IP Lego used. Indiana Jones had a arguably more horrific scene with a man's face melting off in a cartoonish fashion and Lego made sets for that after the fact. I don't think it will effect their views on this property significantly if at all. We had the scene with Dart and the cat before this set and they still went ahead with it.

Edited by Brick Cucumber

6 hours ago, Brick Cucumber said:

I've said this before and I'll say it again, the "gore" in season 3 is over the top to the point that it's cartoonish. The big blood monsters are goofy in a way. It's also not the first time we've seen melting people in an IP Lego used. Indiana Jones had a arguably more horrific scene with a man's face melting off in a cartoonish fashion and Lego made sets for that after the fact. I don't think it will effect their views on this property significantly if at all. We had the scene with Dart and the cat before this set and they still went ahead with it.

The melting people in Indiana Jones was about 5 seconds of screen time. In Stranger Things you see atleast 10 people fully melt and blood and guts monsters appear for most episodes. Whether it’s cartoonish (which I’d say it isn’t, it looks real enough and is trying to evoke imagery from films like the Thing and the Fly) won’t matter to Lego. The sheer amount of gore will be a big no no 

5 hours ago, Whovastron said:

The melting people in Indiana Jones was about 5 seconds of screen time. In Stranger Things you see atleast 10 people fully melt and blood and guts monsters appear for most episodes. Whether it’s cartoonish (which I’d say it isn’t, it looks real enough and is trying to evoke imagery from films like the Thing and the Fly) won’t matter to Lego. The sheer amount of gore will be a big no no 

Exactly! We should also remember that the "over the top gore" is only a small part of what we saw in S3. The hospital scene at the end of episode 5 was extremely gory and terrifying, it felt like straight out of a really messed up Stephen King novel.

Spoiler

There's also that scene of the Russian Terminator being thrown into the machine, which crushes him in a matter of seconds.

Why do we keep having this discussion? For some it's too violent, for some it's not, but ultimately Lego will decide whether they do additional sets.

Hide contents

There's also that scene of the Russian Terminator being thrown into the machine, which crushes him in a matter of seconds.

I'm pretty sure Indie also has two scenes similar to that. Besides, it's not like they've been making this a line for kids, I don't see Lego changing their plans at all because of this, they already firmly established it's not a set or theme for kids.

Honestly, some of these kills are pretty brutal

And that's only the ones Indie has done, not mentioning the heart ripping out hearts. Lego is definitely ok with "gore" in over the top situations.

Edited by Brick Cucumber

50 minutes ago, strangely said:

Why do we keep having this discussion? For some it's too violent, for some it's not, but ultimately Lego will decide whether they do additional sets.

We first had this discussion when rumors of this set started to surface. Now that Season 3 came out, with more gore and language than ever before, I think it's totally fine for people to discuss the possibility of another set after such a shocking third season

7 hours ago, Puresh said:

We first had this discussion when rumors of this set started to surface. Now that Season 3 came out, with more gore and language than ever before, I think it's totally fine for people to discuss the possibility of another set after such a shocking third season

Yeah, it's been discussed since the third season came out. But okay.

13 hours ago, Whovastron said:

I rewatched the main melting scene, only 4 people are actually seen melting and the melting itself is roughly 16 seconds of the 45 seconds this scene lasts (I'm not counting the goo forming the mind flayer since by that point it's basically 'the blob'). And I think only 2 people melted in the episodes before that (And most of these meltings happen in poor lighting). By contrast, the melting/exploding in Raiders of the Lost Ark is roughly 8 seconds long (not counting the crowd of Nazi's that get fried immediately before this). I mean, watching these two scenes back to back I can't really say which is more violent or gross, it's kind of a draw. I think people give Indiana Jones a free pass because it's a 'classic', and have had decades to get used to that violence.

Let's be real, Lego makes decisions that seemingly go against their 'standards' all the time. Many people believed this theme could never exist as a Lego theme, but here we are. I think people need to let go of their preconceived notions of Lego standards. Clearly when aimed at adults Lego is willing to play by a different set of rules, which is why we have this license at all and why there's a bloody severed arm in the Jurassic Park set.

Lego is for adults now too, it's time to accept that and let it go.

9 minutes ago, strangely said:

Let's be real, Lego makes decisions that seemingly go against their 'standards' all the time. Many people believed this theme could never exist as a Lego theme, but here we are. I think people need to let go of their preconceived notions of Lego standards. Clearly when aimed at adults Lego is willing to play by a different set of rules, which is why we have this license at all and why there's a bloody severed arm in the Jurassic Park set.

Also, the blood and hand pieces in the Graveyard Duel

9 hours ago, strangely said:

Yeah, it's been discussed since the third season came out. But okay.

I rewatched the main melting scene, only 4 people are actually seen melting and the melting itself is roughly 16 seconds of the 45 seconds this scene lasts (I'm not counting the goo forming the mind flayer since by that point it's basically 'the blob'). And I think only 2 people melted in the episodes before that (And most of these meltings happen in poor lighting). By contrast, the melting/exploding in Raiders of the Lost Ark is roughly 8 seconds long (not counting the crowd of Nazi's that get fried immediately before this). I mean, watching these two scenes back to back I can't really say which is more violent or gross, it's kind of a draw. I think people give Indiana Jones a free pass because it's a 'classic', and have had decades to get used to that violence.

Lego is for adults now too, it's time to accept that and let it go.

But then you also have the whole of the hospital episode and the concept of the monsters in general

I don't find the concept of the monster to be too bad.

In Scooby Doo Mystery Incorporated that show ended with a monster consuming the citizens of Crystal Cove to make itself more powerful. So, if Scooby Doo can use that as a plot point... Sure, we see it more directly in Stranger Things, but the concept is the same.

As for the Hospital episode, there's just two meltings and that's it. I mean Nancy and Jonathon get a little beaten up, but not too much more than anyone else in this show.

And I don't really feel like the meltings are that big of a deal. The characters even discuss that the flayed being able to eat those chemicals and not die is inhuman, so by that point they're basically not people anymore.

Edited by strangely

2 hours ago, strangely said:

I don't find the concept of the monster to be too bad.

In Scooby Doo Mystery Incorporated that show ended with a monster consuming the citizens of Crystal Cove to make itself more powerful. So, if Scooby Doo can use that as a plot point... Sure, we see it more directly in Stranger Things, but the concept is the same.

As for the Hospital episode, there's just two meltings and that's it. I mean Nancy and Jonathon get a little beaten up, but not too much more than anyone else in this show.

And I don't really feel like the meltings are that big of a deal. The characters even discuss that the flayed being able to eat those chemicals and not die is inhuman, so by that point they're basically not people anymore.

But there are some more bloody things in the hospital episode that may go to far for lego, like Nancy smashing that guys face in with a fire extuingisher and Jonathan stabbing Tom in his throat with scissors....

52 minutes ago, Guyon2002 said:

But there are some more bloody things in the hospital episode that may go to far for lego, like Nancy smashing that guys face in with a fire extuingisher and Jonathan stabbing Tom in his throat with scissors....

In Temple of Doom a guy gets stabbed through by a shish kabob, a man's heart is ripped out, a guy is crushed by a machine which covers the machine in blood, Indy is forced to drink blood. To say nothing of the child slavery and body parts lying around...

20 minutes ago, strangely said:

In Temple of Doom a guy gets stabbed through by a shish kabob, a man's heart is ripped out, a guy is crushed by a machine which covers the machine in blood, Indy is forced to drink blood. To say nothing of the child slavery and body parts lying around...

Also, just look at him beating that guy's face in, in 'The Last Crusade'.

Need I remind anyone that Lego did a set based on the scene where a guy gets violently murdered by a plane propeller.new-Indiana-Jones-Fight-on-the-Flying-Wi

. AnI think we’re comparing apples and oranges here. Stranger things is a horror themed show and season 3 shows horror elements more. It goes beyond what you physically see. I. The hospital episode you can argue this and that, but at the end of the day the episode’s structure and tone is of the horror genre. Indiana jone, Although it indeed does include those things, is not horror in tone. It’s an action adventure which has some risky stuff in it. A lot of the fighting or shooting doesn’t result in blood, and there’s a huge difference when it comes to maturing ratings in how blood is used. A blood splatter on the plane window in Raiders and some blood on that machine in temple is seen extremely different to actually seeing blood coming from a person. The latter is more visceral. Hence why in film ratings for something like Indiana Jones you’ll see ‘some bloody violence’ or ‘fantasy violence’ (referring to the melting nazis) whilst in Stranger Things it would be ‘strong bloody violence, horror, gore’ because of the atmosphere around the scenes and how they are presented.

Edited by Whovastron

Okay, so Indiana Jones is 'fantasy violence', but Stranger Things is 'Sci-fi violence', it's really not that different. Neither are particularly realistic.

And Temple of Doom leans pretty heavily into horror elements, it's pretty well known for those elements. I simply disagree that scenes depicting ritual sacrifice and child torture are somehow less visceral than people melting into monsters.

And why does how violent it is even matter? The set is clearly directed at adults. It's at a high price point, it was a midnight release, it's available at limited retailers and the set itself is designed as a display piece with limited to no play features. Why does this license need to be child appropriate for Lego to make 'adult oriented' sets. Whether people like it or not, Lego licensed Stranger Things, clearly they're willing to operate by a different set of rules when the target audience isn't children. So I don't think anyone can definitely say "Lego will never make sets based on season 3" since only a few months ago people were saying "Lego will never make Stranger Things sets".

Clearly things have changed at Lego, so we currently don't have a metric for what Lego will adapt now that they've gone further than they ever have before.

So we can conclude that opinions differ then? :laugh: 

As I mentioned before, I think the set was always planned as a one-off. I also found season 3 a bit more hard-core than the previous seasons, so I think it is fair to say that the odds of seeing more sets are not increasing. However, since LEGO released the set just before the launch of the new season they are already linked to it even if the set is based primarily on season.

At the end of day, I will be super surprised (but happy) if we get more sets, just like I was super surprised to see the first set.

If they did a blister pack like this with Steve, Nancy & Jonathan I would be over the moon, I would probably even bury my small grudge about the Barb incident...

s-l640.jpg

I think the Barb figure was definitely a sign that they aren't quite done with this theme. It's seemingly been one of the most popular D2C's they've released. I think the ""extreme violence"" of season 3 wont change a thing seeing as they already crossed the threshold with a dead cat and all. People here are really being overly dramatic in reaction, the melting wasn't even that gory.

There's no way you're gonna convince me that this cartoonish 'body turning into a jelly' scene from Season 3;

Spoiler

, in any way rivals the skin and blood melting off of a visible skeleton while the victims scream in pain from Indiana Jones

Anyone else hope that the Barb SDCC figure might get the same treatment as Azog the Defiler? Make it an exclusive but bring out a very similar (or the same? I can't remember how different Azog was) in a later set

56 minutes ago, legoSDR said:

Anyone else hope that the Barb SDCC figure might get the same treatment as Azog the Defiler? Make it an exclusive but bring out a very similar (or the same? I can't remember how different Azog was) in a later set

I'm almost 100% certain this won't happen. Both Azog and Bard the bowman simply had the SDCC logo in the bottom left, nothing else. Every other figure from SDCC so far also has a small "exclusive" over the logo, same for Barb. So the Hobbit figures were never even marked as being SDCC exclusive, people just assumed they would be

2 hours ago, Puresh said:

I'm almost 100% certain this won't happen. Both Azog and Bard the bowman simply had the SDCC logo in the bottom left, nothing else. Every other figure from SDCC so far also has a small "exclusive" over the logo, same for Barb. So the Hobbit figures were never even marked as being SDCC exclusive, people just assumed they would be

That's true for Bard but Azog was marked as an exclusive

https://www.bricklink.com/v2/catalog/catalogitem.page?S=comcon031-1&name=Azog - San Diego Comic-Con 2013 Exclusive&category=[The Hobbit and the Lord of the Rings][The Hobbit]#T=S&O={"iconly":0}

9 hours ago, Puresh said:

Huh, you're right. That's odd

I don't think it means much, but like Azog, Barb is a figure that features in an existing theme, so her inclusion in a later set is more likely.

I know the others are also from LEGO themes but with a difference. There was never a set based on Marvel comics (as far as I'm aware all the non MCU sets are based on animated shows) so figures like Steve Rogers Cap or Sam Wilson Cap were never going to be part of a wider wave. There was never a set based on shows like Black Lightning or Arrow. There's no set based on Spider-Man PS4. Those are just some examples. The only fig I can think of where my logic isn't true is The Collector

Again I don't think it's incredibly likely we'll get her (or at least that version of her), but Barb is a fig based on a theme/wave that has an existing set, just like how when Azog came out there was already the Hobbit sets and more in the works

Edited by legoSDR