Vonsek

LEGO Stranger Things Rumours Discussion

2 minutes ago, LegoFjotten said:

Usually they go for hundreds of $ on eBay after the event.

That's reassuring lol. Just checked and there's already pre-orders around $400. Guess I'll be skipping this one :laugh:

She looks great. Shame the exclusive isn't something silly like the zebra suit Batman, so we could all have a chuckle and ultimately not worry about missing out.

Hope if there's another set in the future that it might come with Barb. Or that they give a (possibly different) Barb figure as a freebie a la Revan.

That's a shame. I don't mind the fact that they do SDCC exclusives, but it's such a pain when they do exclusives figures. Just do a variant or whatever. 

Ah well, at least it's a side character. 

Have they ever made exclusives for a one-off theme before? (castle byers doesn't count) this could be sigh that there is more in the pipeline.

On 6/18/2019 at 6:54 AM, Puresh said:

it's entirely possible that there'll be a SDCC exclusive set or figure and I'm scared to death even thinking about that 

You jinxed it :grin:

On an overly optimistic note, with the Hobbit exclusives the figs later came in sets so only the packaging was exclusive. If not at least Barbs not the most important character (or one of my personal favourites).

31 minutes ago, stroud1492 said:

That's reassuring lol. Just checked and there's already pre-orders around $400. Guess I'll be skipping this one :laugh:

How can there be pre-orders if it’s supposed to be a raffle of sorts? *huh* I smell shenanigans

13 minutes ago, Lego-Freak said:

How can there be pre-orders if it’s supposed to be a raffle of sorts? *huh* I smell shenanigans

There are places on the web that organize trades of concert tickets, where you pay 150-200% of face value and someone else will get the ticket for you, I guess because it saves you some hassle waiting in line. I imagine it's the same deal here, and you get your money back if the buyer can't acquire it.

Come to think of it, I sorta feel this exclusive shuts down any possibility/speculation of a CMS based upon Stranger Things from ever happening. If so, that's kind of a relief for me personally for particular reasons... :def_shrug:

Sure, what happened to Barb was shocking and tragic but she was still an obnoxious character. The completionist in me wants to get this figure, but overall I’m just relieved it wasn’t pretty much anyone else.

17 minutes ago, Digger of Bricks said:

Come to think of it, I sorta feel this exclusive shuts down any possibility/speculation of a CMS based upon Stranger Things from ever happening. If so, that's kind of a relief for me personally for particular reasons... :def_shrug:

I don't think it'll get a cmf for other reasons but themes with CMF's have had exclusives, like the Lego Movie. 

Are your 'particular reasons' that you want more standard cmfs by any chance?

39 minutes ago, Agent Kallus said:

Have they ever made exclusives for a one-off theme before?

To answer my own question, it looks like they haven't, at least looking at the NYCC and SDCC tags on brickset.

1 hour ago, stroud1492 said:

Price dips after hype. depending on the demand of the figure, it could wind up around $400 years from now. Pick it up on eBay for $160-200 in a months time

Who are these exclusives even for at this point? Fans hate them, even fans at the con hate that they're exclusive. I guess Lego is just making these to cater to Scalpers at this point.

3 minutes ago, Brick Cucumber said:

Who are these exclusives even for at this point? Fans hate them, even fans at the con hate that they're exclusive. I guess Lego is just making these to cater to Scalpers at this point.

The fans who get them don't hate them. And their main purpose is to drive interest in Lego's presence at the con whether or not people win them. Pretty much every major booth has some form of exclusive on offer and Lego not having any available could lead people to overlook them entirely in favor of competitors.

3 hours ago, strangely said:

She's just a memorable character is all. She was really likeable, very unique looking and what happens to her is shocking, unceremonious and tragic. She left an impression that sticks with the general audience. She's one of the earliest deaths in the show and she's still being mentioned in the show even now.

And even though she had limited screen time, she managed be pretty important to the story. She was the motivation behind Nancy for two seasons, which in turn affected Jonathon and Steve's stories as well as the cover up narrative around the Hawkins Power Company. So for being a minor character she cast a surprisingly large shadow.

Eh, I didn’t like her that much, and I saw her death coming a mile away, she was just a plot point. Never understood the hashtag or the fan love, and I hate that so much merch gets made for her rather than other characters.

but SDCC exclusive? Yeah I’m fine with that.

although if we never get the other wayyyy more important character, that will sting hard

Wow, this is so stupid. But I guess Im not surprised considering Lego loves doing this to the fans. They could at least be like funko and find a way to mass release their exclusives. Such poor business practice

2 hours ago, Balrogofmorgoth said:

Sure, what happened to Barb was shocking and tragic but she was still an obnoxious character. The completionist in me wants to get this figure, but overall I’m just relieved it wasn’t pretty much anyone else.

Im not sure what you watched, but nothing Barb ever did was obnoxious. 

Barb was a fan favorite character. She was a integral character motivation for some of the main cast for the first two seasons. She also was the first of the Hawkins civillians to be killed by the demogorgon. She's an insanely important character to the series and it's obvious why she's a fan favorite. I don't see why people in this thread are trying so desperately to undersell her, are you trying to convince us or yourselves?

I'd almost want to boycot lego for making these stupid exclusives every year, but I know I won't be able to keep doing that for more than a few weeks

1 hour ago, Ultron said:

Wow, this is so stupid. But I guess Im not surprised considering Lego loves doing this to the fans. They could at least be like funko and find a way to mass release their exclusives. Such poor business practice

Im not sure what you watched, but nothing Barb ever did was obnoxious. 

Meh, she was obnoxious to me. Don’t get why fans go nuts for her. Never liked her

1 hour ago, Guyon2002 said:

I'd almost want to boycot lego for making these stupid exclusives every year, but I know I won't be able to keep doing that for more than a few weeks

If you're going to complain on their social media, tagging the Netflix and Stranger Things accounts would probably cause a bigger impact on them.

15 minutes ago, Brick Cucumber said:

If you're going to complain on their social media, tagging the Netflix and Stranger Things accounts would probably cause a bigger impact on them.

True, but ''rebelling'' against SDCC exclusives is a lost cause to begin with. Fans have hated those for years and lego knows they do, they just don't act on it

6 minutes ago, Guyon2002 said:

True, but ''rebelling'' against SDCC exclusives is a lost cause to begin with. Fans have hated those for years and lego knows they do, they just don't act on it

Still, maybe if we redirect the "Rebelling" to another company, they might step in. I'm desperate here... :rofl:

Edited by Brick Cucumber

5 hours ago, Agent Kallus said:

I don't think it'll get a cmf for other reasons but themes with CMF's have had exclusives, like the Lego Movie. 

Of course, though what I'm getting across is that Barb would've likely been reserved for such a CMS rather than being relegated to being a mere exclusive if such a CMS were a likelihood. I mean, Barb was sold as a retail-wide release Funko Pop rather than as a exclusive of some sort on their part, so it would be handled the same way on Lego's part if a CMS were indeed a possible future consideration.

5 hours ago, Agent Kallus said:

Are your 'particular reasons' that you want more standard cmfs by any chance?

Partly, to a lesser degree though, as my foremost reason is in wishing for Lego to pursue IPs that have more material to offer in the long run for more than just two Series. Preferably, I'd like to see Lego bring broader umbrella franchises much like Disney under the wing of the Collectable Minifigure theme rather than just one-and-done licenses that don't have enough to offer for three or more Series. 

I wonder why TLG keeps doing this? Don't they have like a social media manager or something? You can clearly tell these exclusives produce more angry potential customers than anything. And what do they get out of it? It's just damaging the brand....

And they just keeping doing it, despite years of strong backlash about it

2 hours ago, Balrogofmorgoth said:

Meh, she was obnoxious to me. Don’t get why fans go nuts for her. Never liked her

Sometimes I think side characters are just more interesting to people. I liked Barb because I thought she was being a good friend in trying to look out for Nancy that night and then she ends up dying indirectly as a result. She had a cool style too lol

52 minutes ago, Ultron said:

Sometimes I think side characters are just more interesting to people. I liked Barb because I thought she was being a good friend in trying to look out for Nancy that night and then she ends up dying indirectly as a result. She had a cool style too lol

Exactly, she was a complex character who added a lot to the story, even through her death. I re-watched the series with my Mum and she instantly picked out Barb as a iconic character, her style and such really make her stand out which is reflected by the fact that the community instantly loved this side character. I don't know why people keep underselling her.