Vonsek

LEGO Stranger Things Rumours Discussion

TLDR:  If you work with people in the world and the public likes your product, there isn't much of anything you can do.

Wow... people freaking out because LEGO doesn't like leaks.  NO joke they don't... but in the end they're still gonna make product.  As long as there are people in the world who want their minute of fame, there will be leaks over popular products.  Movies, LEGO, video games, etc.  DOESN'T MATTER.  Doesn't make it morally right either, but its the side affect of having a popular product. What, they're going to cancel their products? Haha... yeah right.  Delay it?  Does it really matter if it comes out day 1 or day 15? Unless they're trying to get money our for Christmas, not really.   They can use fear to fight, but in reality.... in the world of social media... good luck.  cats don't go back in bags.  From a business standpoint (doesnt matter TBH because its not my product) this is childish of TLG.  oh well, companies will do what they want.

For all we know, they may not have a choice; there could well be a legal agreement in place that stipulates the date of the announcement and release.

Moreover, there has to be some announcement, which means some specific date has to be chosen to announce it, and no matter what date it is there are going to be people grousing that it should have been earlier. Some folks might not be happy unless they publicly announce on social media the moment they even think of doing a set based on a given property, and in that case they’d instantly have tons of unwanted feedback from thousands of people saying they should do it this way or that way.

I really don’t blame TLG for holding their cards close to their chest.

it does seem that no matter what TLG does there will always be that majority that will complain endlessly

it will be revealed and released when they decide

what would be a great way to reveal it in my opinion though is to get a cast member from stranger things along with a member of TLG to announce it in a video

It's funny, rumors about this set have been around for quite some time. Knowing that there was someone out there already leaking information, Lego should have sent that email out before the sets started showing up to stores. Though on the other hand, their threat not to ship early probably won't deter people that much regardless.

Does the non Upside Down Buyers House have a black roof?

If so, I’m a tad disappointed. A grey blue or even dark grey would have been much more accurate to show.

This set has to be a day one buy for me. Between this, the Tantive IV and the Jurassic Park D2C, not to mention the full Harry Potter wave, I’m gonna be broke. I’ll rack up those VIP points though

5 hours ago, Foxes Productionz said:

If so, I’m a tad disappointed. A grey blue or even dark grey would have been much more accurate to show.

It's not black

Oops, I was looking the wrong way.  Looking at it again, it looks black.

6 hours ago, Foxes Productionz said:

I'm almost certain it's dark blue, comparing it to some of the black pieces near it

Wow, this turned out to be a huge mess.  I’ve never seen lego take a leak this seriously before.  They’re even deleting posts from #legoleaks, which is almost unprecedented.  I almost feel bad for Lego considering that they were less two weeks away from an official reveal , and there were barely any leaks. Then again, they should’ve learned their lesson from the Aston Martin failure. These midnight reveals just don’t work, and it’s not a great business practice either.  At least the set looks pretty good this time around.

9 hours ago, HalfBloodPrince said:

Yeah, the set is going to fail on its VIP Release date. Not many even covered the image of Dustin with the demogorgan. 

Because they are all afraid they may lose their recognised fan media status. 

It's not like there is no interest in this set. 

I am speaking in general so don't get offended when this hits you. I can't pathom why some people here speak/type like a marketing expert or sales strategist. I'm not one of those so I cannot claim that the sales campaign for this set will fail nor succeed. Sadly I don't have the power of clairvoyance as well, so let's leave that to  our imagination. If any of you are a marketing or sales genie, please educate the people here why a controlled announcement is very important.

TLG is a big company that has bucket-loads of money for targeted-marketing. Netflix on the other hand, is a very successful media company that uses AI and machine learning to also target their audience and influence them into watching more. I don't believe that these 2 companies signed a contract without knowing how to sell this product at all.

11 hours ago, strangely said:

If Lego seriously didn't want this to leak then they shouldn't have shipped it early. I feel like this happens nearly every time.

It was shipped to LEGO employees. So they need to identify the store and sack the manager or get him/her to sack the member of staff that has breached their contract if this is the case.

Saying that they shouldn't ship it early to someone in the same company is like saying they should reveal it before it is packaged, or artwork printed, or designed. All those employees seeing the product managed not to reveal it. It was presumably down to a shop worker or poor store manager that allowed this to happen.

3 hours ago, MAB said:

Saying that they shouldn't ship it early to someone in the same company is like saying they should reveal it before it is packaged, or artwork printed, or designed. All those employees seeing the product managed not to reveal it. It was presumably down to a shop worker or poor store manager that allowed this to happen.

I expect higher up employees not to leak, as at a certain height on the corporate ladder they are probably bound legally by contract not to leak, or are at least compensated well enough not to want to risk it. And factories have security and other safeguards to prevent leaks (though it seems like the further the factory is away from headquarters the more parts walk out the door and end up on eBay).

The Lego Store is the lowest rung on the ladder. Their employees aren't bound by contract, there's probably not cameras watching every inch of the backroom and those people probably aren't getting paid enough that getting fired matters that much. At a certain level, you expect leaks, especially since past history has indicated that it will definitely happen at that level.

19 hours ago, Hayden112100 said:

LEGO trying to figure out the source of the leaks

giphy.gif

^^ haha! :iamded_lol:

18 hours ago, Aegis2000 said:

The inside has leaked too. I know they didn’t have too much space to work with, but it looks like the lights will be a sticker. 

Just looking at it, I really hope this is around $150 to no more than $180. I saw $200 in the Simpsons House. I don’t see $200 here.

Are you saying there was a picture of the set unboxed? I never saw that. Lego must have got that taken down quick!

1 hour ago, strangely said:

I expect higher up employees not to leak, as at a certain height on the corporate ladder they are probably bound legally by contract not to leak, or are at least compensated well enough not to want to risk it. And factories have security and other safeguards to prevent leaks (though it seems like the further the factory is away from headquarters the more parts walk out the door and end up on eBay).

The Lego Store is the lowest rung on the ladder. Their employees aren't bound by contract, there's probably not cameras watching every inch of the backroom and those people probably aren't getting paid enough that getting fired matters that much. At a certain level, you expect leaks, especially since past history has indicated that it will definitely happen at that level.

Don't forget the reviewers. Usually with these sets we can expect Day 1 reviews on release/reveal day. An since it's a TV license, there could be non Lego reviews too, like Hogwarts. 

So that's a possible leak source too, even if it's by accindent.

19 minutes ago, JadedSpade_ said:

^^ haha! :iamded_lol:

Are you saying there was a picture of the set unboxed? I never saw that. Lego must have got that taken down quick!

I think he means the inside of the house on the back of the box. There is a picture of that, but in really bad quality.

I think its interesting that you flip the house upside down to play with either side.

12 hours ago, strangely said:

I have to agree with you. And to add what you said, LEGO sends one to a few case(s) of each new set a couple of weeks early to there stores so the stores have time to build the set for display. My local LEGO store already got the set and the displays for it a few days ago. So it is most likely a store associate that leaked the set. 

While I wasn't expecting LEGO to release a Stranger Things set, I am certainly quite pleased that I won't have to resort to piecing together purist customs for most of the main characters (though the absence of Steve is annoying)

The replies I've seen defending LEGO's insane hatred of leaks is the reason I only dip my toes into the LEGO community because it's more a cult.

LEGO doesn't like leaks than stop being so anal and just release the info May 1st and say the sets will be in stores for VIP members May 14th. There is no need to freak out, leaks get people talking about a set more. It's free press and the fact people here act like a leak is a person attack again their family is ridiculous. 

LEGO doesn't like leaks then don't send it to stores two weeks early, announce the set sooner. There are a million things to do than blame people making slightly more than minimum wage for leaking a set and creating buzz.

1 hour ago, J4ck said:

I long for the day the vast majority of the Lego community recognises that leaking is wrong.

Which is probably never, seeing as it really isn't.

As for the set, I'm really disappointed that Hopper doesn't have a hair-hat combo piece. I hate how Lego makes characters like him and McCree look bald :sceptic: