BlueBillCanada

Powered up app adds programming blocks (Train & Batmobile)

Yep. They also added support for the boost parts (move hub, medium servomotor and color- and distance sensor) for the programming part.

This is really nice!

I have a question: When you have programed, does the code (as "if then else") actually run on the hub, or does the code run on the smart device and that one is notified via events the hub throws and in turn sends out commands to the hub? In other words, is the hub acting autonomously (as the other PBricks like RCX and EV3) do?

Best
Thorsten  

3 hours ago, Tcm0 said:

The hubs get remote controlled.

Thank you @Tcm0!

Is it the same with the other hubs as well? (Boost …)

I believe the Spike Prime 6I/O hub has some memory, right? Does that one act autonomously?

Thanks.

Regards,
Thorsten

3 hours ago, Toastie said:

Thank you @Tcm0!

Is it the same with the other hubs as well? (Boost …)

I believe the Spike Prime 6I/O hub has some memory, right? Does that one act autonomously?

Thanks.

Regards,
Thorsten

You're welcome :)

Yes, the boost hub gets remote controlled, too. You can see that if you use any of the sound effects - they get played by the tablet; not by the hub itself.

The spike prime has internal memory. I think that both should be possible, a remote control by the PC and standalone apps. The hardware power of the spike prime should be somewhere between NXT and EV3.

I wonder if the new Control+ will be part of and or compatible with the Spike Prime? And if it will be autonomous or rely on an external device for its brains.

On 4/26/2019 at 12:19 PM, BlueBillCanada said:

I wonder if the new Control+ will be part of and or compatible with the Spike Prime? And if it will be autonomous or rely on an external device for its brains.

I suspect that it will share at least some of its motor and sensor elements with Spike Prime, but that the Spike Prime software and Smart Hub may remain specific to Education sets same as has been the case with the WeDo and WeDo 2.0 software and Smart Hubs.

Since the Liebherr excavator set's Smart Hub has a different amount of input/output ports than the Spike Prime Smart Hub, that version is probably the one more likely to show up in other Technic Control+ sets going forward.

Recently I discovered in the PU app as well as in the Boost app that you can not query multiple color distance sensors individually.

While the programming blocks for motors allow port addressing, the blocks for sensors do not.

Having two sensors plugged e.g. in the MoveHub their readings are just combined (the smallest value dominates).

It looks like TLG has not implemented the port addressing consistently for all components one can connect to a hub.