Sign in to follow this  
Arrow

2 12v motor on 1 car

Hi!

I was reading some stuff on the forum, and I read someone that attach on a single car 2 motor linked each other with the wire. Whats the purpose of that? Each motor can take electricity through their contacts. Could someone explain if there are some pros about connecting 2 motors with a wire? Thanks all

It would help deal with any electrical pick-up problems due to dead spots, etc. Provided that one motor has good electrical connection through the track both motors can still run normally, otherwise you'd have one motor running and the other one stalled.

If I connect with a wire, does that create a electrical problem when a motor has current both on pickups and wires?

It shouldn't do, no. Both motors are electrically connected by the sitting on the same piece of track anyway. Adding a wire only replicates this inside the model.

2 hours ago, Arrow said:

If I use a wire to connect 2 9v motors, could we consider it useless?

No i dont think so the same applys here because the 9v motors are picking the power up just differently so the same applys here!

XG BC

On 4/23/2019 at 3:06 PM, XG BC said:

No i dont think so the same applys here because the 9v motors are picking the power up just differently so the same applys here!

XG BC 

But a 9v motor take always electricity, instead of a 12v motor...

i dont know if you understood this correctly because the only (electrical) difference between a 9v and a 12v motor is the methode of picking up the power! the 9v motor just has metal flanges and picks its power up from there whereas the 12v motor has seperate power pickups mounted in it (atleast if you are reffering to this motor here).

XG BC

On 4/22/2019 at 4:16 AM, LEGO Train 12 Volts said:

Moreover when you've a traffic light and the two engines are not connected risks that the second one is still running when the first is already stopped :sceptic:

This would result in the train not stopping for the traffic light: the second motor will power the first motor through the wire between the motors once the first motor reaches the isolated power rail. So to make this work you need to extend the isolated part that is controlled by the traffic light switch.

For 12V:
You need to put both motors in the same "direction" because you cannot reverse the polarity of the motor inside the case

If you want to link both motors with a cable:
- You need to check the cable polarity  (if you crossover the cable, you will make a short-circuit inside the motor)
- Because of coupler: you need to plug cable on top of one motor, and on back of the other.

dsc04470_1.jpg

For 9V:
You also need to put both motors in the same direction.
The cable connector is only on one side of the motor case, so one motor will have the coupler where the cable is plugged.

PS: I have not tested, but  I think I'm not wrong

19 hours ago, XG BC said:

i dont know if you understood this correctly because the only (electrical) difference between a 9v and a 12v motor is the methode of picking up the power! the 9v motor just has metal flanges and picks its power up from there whereas the 12v motor has seperate power pickups mounted in it (atleast if you are reffering to this motor here).

XG BC

Yeah I know that, I was thinking that the 12v's method of picking up the power has some problem instead the 9v. That one picks up ALWAYS power, the 12v suffers of gaps and bad contacts.

13 hours ago, AlmightyArjen said:

This would result in the train not stopping for the traffic light: the second motor will power the first motor through the wire between the motors once the first motor reaches the isolated power rail. So to make this work you need to extend the isolated part that is controlled by the traffic light switch. 

Yeah, we need to take some measures from the end to the last motor till the first contact of the first motor.

But if we connect 2 motors and we create the isolated power rail, if the first motor go over that isolation, the last motor continue to pull all the train alone due the contact under it (takes the electricity not from the first motor but from they contacts). So, IMHO the wires only needs for bad contacts of 2 motors throught the normal use, the motor that have the best contacts can help the other one. But if I need to use the "traffic light set", I need to increase the speed of the train, to help the only working motor to pull the train for that few cms missing to the interruption rail with the inertial energy. Correct?

Its not correct, both motors runs until the last motor go over the interruption point.

2 hours ago, freestorm said:

- Because of coupler: you need to plug cable on top of one motor, and on back of the other.

I dont understand that part

Edited by Arrow

9 minutes ago, Arrow said:

I dont understand that part

Because of coupler => Because of Train Buffer

4022c01.png
I meant that you put the Train Buffer directly to the motor .

I don't know how to explain my mind in English

ah yeah! I use 2 motors in trains like 7740 7745 7755, the buffer is on the motor anyway.

On 4/27/2019 at 2:24 AM, AlmightyArjen said:

Correct! :thumbup:

@Arrow now i know what you mean yes of course its kinda pointless to do it on a 9v motor but you can do it

XG BC

On 4/28/2019 at 10:26 PM, XG BC said:

@Arrow now i know what you mean yes of course its kinda pointless to do it on a 9v motor but you can do it

XG BC 

Thnaks a lot man ;)

On 4/28/2019 at 4:26 PM, XG BC said:

XG BC

Theres a great tutorial on swapping the leads on the 9v somewhere on here lol