Sign in to follow this  
Freezingvettes99

8 Wide 1:48 Scale Santa Fe GP60M From Brick Train Depot

We at Brick Train Depot are listening to our customers, they have asked for more 1:48 scale products and this will be one of our first locomotive offerings available very soon. This GP60M will be offered in Santa Fe livery to kick things off. We also have several more products in the works that we promise will not disappoint! Enjoy these renderings and the instructions will be available soon at Brick Train Depot. Thanks to everyone for their support!

46737805565_1a7d50809e_c.jpg8 wide Santa Fe GP60M Render by freezingvettes99, on Flickr

46929582464_3cdf000b33_c.jpg8 wide Santa Fe GP60M Render_2 by freezingvettes99, on Flickr

I think you need to lift (and lengthen) the trucks a bit more. In my experience building diesels, this has been a common rebuild point on 8w locos - you wind up with bogies that are 'anatomically correct,' but don't quite pass the smell test because they are a bit too small for the engine. This is owed to the fact that the Lego wheels themselves (minus the enormous flanges) are a bit too small to represent those of an 8 stud-wide engine. So starting with the wheel and saying "okay, this is my reference point for scale" throws everything off - it's better to disregard the wheel entirely and instead build around the size of the truck (the flange itself is closer to scale for the entire wheel).

The solution to this is to bulk up the wheelsets slightly, thereby raising the locomotive height by a plate or two more off the tracks. You can see this effect pretty clearly on my Southern GP30:

XgnVTef.png

Edited by ProvenceTristram

Awesome work again!

I’m somewhere in the middle of building your 4-10-2 SP and really enjoy it; the quality and thinking you have put into it is substantial. So thank you!

I’m considering to build this Santa Fe as well but the one I’m really looking forward is a large articulated steam engine, e.g. UP Challenger. If I was you, I’d leave Big Boy to be the real crown of your line up, and do it much later ;)

When you design your next engine, my humble ask to you is to mount the motors into the engine body/boiler so that there would be a enough space in the tender for the electronics, transceiver (FX Brick), large speaker and battery.

7 hours ago, Henry 991 said:

Awesome work again!

I’m somewhere in the middle of building your 4-10-2 SP and really enjoy it; the quality and thinking you have put into it is substantial. So thank you!

I’m considering to build this Santa Fe as well but the one I’m really looking forward is a large articulated steam engine, e.g. UP Challenger. If I was you, I’d leave Big Boy to be the real crown of your line up, and do it much later ;)

When you design your next engine, my humble ask to you is to mount the motors into the engine body/boiler so that there would be a enough space in the tender for the electronics, transceiver (FX Brick), large speaker and battery.

Designer of the SP 4-10-2 here :classic: happy to hear you like it! I try to put motors in the boiler where possible but sometimes, it isn't possible due to how the boiler is constructed. Stay tuned for more steam engine/diesel releases! Got something pretty special coming soon.

-Jeffinslaw